Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dailyshine
    Hey tCspool-

If you get Glanz, a suggestion that was given to me was to transfer some of it in a spray bottle, and use it like a spray wax. I have both old and new formulas, but haven`t tried the new one yet. I was under the impression that the consistency was the same, but I guess they changed that too like landcrusier said.

The old formula was on the watery side. But you might be able to add some to a applicator now with the new formula.

I`ll try this if I end up going that route - good tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tCspool
    Ok excellent dialog but I`m a bit more confused. Core product to take out swirls and low-medium surface scratches = 1Z Paint Polish...agree that this is a good choice?

From what I understand, using 1Z Metallic polish over 1Z Paint polish is very wasteful - so it looks like I should skip it..

The MP is so mild that most clearly visible marring will require the PP unless the paint is very, *VERY* soft.

Some paints show an improvement when polished with the finer abrasives in MP (after first using the PP). Others don`t. You just won`t know until you try, but the improvement will usually be very subtle to most people anyhow. I can say for certain that when it does make a difference, it`s something that *I* notice and I wouldn`t skip the MP in those cases. But that`s just me.

Oh, and generally speaking, IMO if you want the flake to show I wouldn`t use multiple LSPs. I`d pick something and just use that one product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question: If you picked a LSP for looks that may not have the durability (for tCspool`s case, Natty`s Blue over Collinite). Can you/he gain durability by building up multiple coats (With proper cure times, its cure right?)? Something like 4 layers?

I was planning on applying 3 layers of Collinite for my full detail.

chris
    `00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (BRP)

`02 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (SSM)

Post Thanks / Like
    Next (confusion) is the wax - Glanz or Nattys - Nattys seemed like a good choice - but it appears that putting this over Glanz is not a good choice. Correct me if I am wrong. Should I be choosing one over the other? I want durability and flake magnification.

I know there are so many choices and personal preferences, so as always I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, really, the most that anyone can tell you is their opinion based on their experiences. Would it be a bad choice to top Glanz with Natty`s? I don`t think so. But in true autopian style, the best way to see would be to buy both and try it. If the combination of the two doesn`t look good to you, you`ll still have two quality waxes that look good on their own.

Also, the new formula for Glanz has carnauba in it now, so like suggested by Accumulator, you might want to try just using that alone and see if that works for you.

Part of the fun is trying different products, different combinations...

Only thing is, it does hurt your bank account.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Oh, and generally speaking, IMO if you want the flake to show I wouldn`t use multiple LSPs. I`d pick something and just use that one product.

OK - so using 1Z PP and then the Glanz as final coat wouldn`t both count as LSP - right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, really, the most that anyone can tell you is their opinion based on their experiences. Would it be a bad choice to top Glanz with Natty`s? I don`t think so. But in true autopian style, the best way to see would be to buy both and try it. If the combination of the two doesn`t look good to you, you`ll still have two quality waxes that look good on their own.

True - I`ll see if I can tell a difference - worse case I`ll use the Nattys come spring.

Also, the new formula for Glanz has carnauba in it now, so like suggested by Accumulator, you might want to try just using that alone and see if that works for you.

Part of the fun is trying different products, different combinations...

Only thing is, it does hurt your bank account.

Bank account damage - that`s an understatement!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK - so using 1Z PP and then the Glanz as final coat wouldn`t both count as LSP - right?

No, the Glanz is the LSP.

I know they say that 1Z PP has some protection, but technically, it`s still polish that you`ll still have to top with a wax or sealant for full protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok thanks - it`s all finally making some sense to me.

Damn, detailing is a very detailed hobby/job (no pun intended!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cshorey
    Question: If you picked a LSP for looks that may not have the durability (for tCspool`s case, Natty`s Blue over Collinite). Can you/he gain durability by building up multiple coats (With proper cure times, its cure right?)? Something like 4 layers?

Depends on the LSP....and/but IME there`s usually some characteristic of "low-durability" LSPs that drops off pretty fast no matter how many applications/layers you do. E.g., I use UPP on the S8 for its looks (especially the metallic "pop") and for its slickness. But the slickness drops off pretty fast after some washes so I have to keep reapplying it. The UPP is still protecting fine, but I want the slickness too.

But OTOH, multiple applications of #16 (spaced some weeks apart) end up giving my wife`s car durability that almost rivals Collinite (well, fewer layers of Collinite anyway..).

Too bad #16 is so hard to find, that would be a good choice IMO.

I was planning on applying 3 layers of Collinite for my full detail..

Depending on which Collinite, and also on your situation, that oughta keep it protected for a long time. Even given the worst-case of those variables it oughta last quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dailyshine
    No...I know they say that 1Z PP has some protection, but technically, it`s still polish that you`ll still have to top with a wax or sealant for full protection.

Yeah...I almost wish I`d never mentioned the (short-lived) protection that the 1z polishes offer. It`s really just something you can fall back on if/when you can`t immediately apply a *real* LSP after you polish; the stuff those polishes leave behind will suffice until you do the next wash.

Mike at 1Z has talked about using MPw/W at a stand-alone product, but only on showcars/garage queens. And even then you`d be applying it quite frequently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah...I almost wish I`d never mentioned the (short-lived) protection that the 1z polishes offer. It`s really just something you can fall back on if/when you can`t immediately apply a *real* LSP after you polish; the stuff those polishes leave behind will suffice until you do the next wash.

Right. Just for the record, when I said "they" I meant 1Z not you specifically. I know on their site, they imply that it offers some protection. While it probably wouldn`t be enough to handle a daily driver for long, that little protection could come in handy if like you say, you don`t have the time to put on a dedicated LSP right after polishing.

I`ve been meaning to get some 1z PP myself. My OP is running low and as much as I like it, I`d like to give 1z PP a try also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been meaning to get some 1z PP myself. My OP is running low and as much as I like it, I`d like to give 1z PP a try also.

That might be interesting...they`re *VERY* different polishes. I use them for different applications, but I`d sure hate to not have the PP when I want to use that and I could live without the OP quite easily (but then I stuff that I like better than OP anyhow). Heh heh, the dust differences are pretty extreme, so consider yourself forewarned OP can spoil ya with it`s minimal dusting.

Oh, and yeah, I figured you were referring to 1Z`s ad-copy. Too many companies talk about "long lasting shine" with regard to products that don`t really provide any lasting protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with 1Z paint polish will provide a nice glow then follow with Glanz Wax this willl be bright but good depth also.

This procedure wil provide better gloss than using Metallic polish then Glanz wax which wil provide a softer look.

mongo

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, the dust differences are pretty extreme, so consider yourself forewarned OP can spoil ya with it`s minimal dusting.

Oh, it does? I never heard about that characteristic when it was talked about before. Thanks for the warning!

I was just looking for something to follow up OC with since I have plenty of that left. I could always get more OP, but just figured I give PP a try. It seemed to be closer in function to OP than MP would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dailyshine- The dusting from PP doesn`t seem as bad as it does with Ultra/Extra, or maybe I just don`t do as many passes with the PP. I`m kinda oblivious to dusting most of the time, but I did want to mention it.

Yeah, between PP and MP the former is gonna be more like OP overall; MP is *so* mild that I consider it a finishing polish or even (especially in the case of the pink "consumer" version, AKA Metallic Polish w/Wax) a mildy abrasive glaze. PP is more of a general-application polish same as OP.

mongo- Interesting that you find the PP to give a sharper look with GW than MP :think: If anything I`ve found MP to give a sharper look. But then I`ve never used GW and I wonder if that is a big part of this. Also, I assume you`re talking about the pink version of MP as opposed to the greenish-white Pro-Line stuff. Been a while since I`ve used the pink one.

When it comes to stuff I use, I sometimes find the various YMMV differences intriguing and this one surprised me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information