Post Thanks / Like
    Even in full sun its difficult to see swirls and such on my gray vehicle (mixed blessing eh?) But from time to time I`ll park under SUPER BRIGHT city halogens and see medium marring (probably a mixture of lazy washing ((I became lazy just prior to seeing the mars... I`m now back to my OCD wash)) and the Zaino product`s gloss seems to have made them stand out). Never the less, I don`t want to spend much on detailing products anymore (lord knows I already have) so I was curious whats available and cheap? Preferably around $50

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have one of these?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Though I was hoping for something less overt then that

Post Thanks / Like
    I was having trouble seing the swirl marks on my car today also... so i bought a flood light (like the one above)... i picked a dual telescoping light up for i think 35 at lowes. they had a better one for 55 and a less for 25

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danforz
    Nope. Though I was hoping for something less overt then that

here`s another alternative that many use...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3
    here`s another alternative that many use...

This will definitely reveal imperfections on a silver finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Best thing I`ve found for silver is regular old-fashioned incandescent lights, used in an otherwise dark shop.

The halogens are good to work under, but I turn them out and use incandescents for the final inspections.

The various "sun guns"/Xenons never work all that well for me...I don`t see marring that I *know* is there. Plain bare bulb incandescent fixtures show stuff that I simply can`t see under any other lighting conditions.

There are some threads where we discussed this in depth..but the short version is that only by inspecting under incandescents (from different angles and distances), in a dark shop, can I see *everything* on silver and thus avoid unpleasant surprises under unusual lighting conditions at night.

It`s a matter of "distant point-source illumination". Not just a matter of brightness or color, but also (and more importantly) a certain specific type of contrast that makes stuff like swirls stand out.

Bare bulb ceiling mounted fixtures work best for me, followed by shaded ones that hang from the ceiling, closely followed by a hand-held incandescent work light. Since the two best ones require wiring the garage for them, I`d just get the hand-held. My Lowes has them in a high-wattage version; I use ~300w bulbs in mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danforz
    This will definitely reveal imperfections on a silver finish?

it will, but you may have to look very carefully especially on lighter colors. the combo of having both the tripod & brinkmann work well for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Best thing I`ve found for silver is regular old-fashioned incandescent lights, used in an otherwise dark shop.

It`s a matter of "distant point-source illumination". Not just a matter of brightness or color, but also (and more importantly) a certain specific type of contrast that makes stuff like swirls stand out.

Accumulator, sounds as if we use a similar approach.

I used "clamp lamps" in my shop and use them at home, still. We had them hanging about every 6 feet on the air compressor lines. They give off just enough light at the distance needed to reveal an imperfection instead of hiding it with a blinding flood of light.

These lamps were just a hand held with 300W incandescent bulbs. I used the "shop duty" bulb which was much sturdier and resistant to failure when you bumped the lamp.

While they don`t light up a whole room or even a whole interior, they are exactly what works for me in finding those last pesky marks that I want to eliminate. They`re also much cooler than halogens.

Post Thanks / Like
    PRB- Yep, sounds like you and I have the exact same incandescents Wish they had a switch on them so I wouldn`t have to plug/unplug...one day I`ll have time to wire something up...

Good thinking, clamping them to the air lines! My air lines are run under the floor so I can`t do that :think: My "clean shop design" doesn`t help in that regard! I usually clamp mine onto the halogen`s stand- turn on one, turn off the other.

I too usually use 300w bulbs in those (same ones I have in the ceiling mounts), but oddly enough the little 60w ones in the ceiling fixtures of my "regular" garage show flaws just as well if you position the car right.. seems to be a matter of the distance and angle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine have a slide bar in the very base where the bulb screws in. That bar slides for on or off.

I have used 150W when I couldn`t get the 300W pieces. Not much of a difference

Always thought that something bigger and more expensive would be an improvement, but I seem to keep coming back to the clamp lamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the 27" Wobble Light. I like the fluorescent model because it shows flaws better. They make many models.

PRODUCTS - Wobble Light, Self-Righting Work Light That Bounces Back From Abuse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    Mine have a slide bar in the very base where the bulb screws in. That bar slides for on or off..

Ah, wish mine had the switches!

jermar- Interesting that you can see marring under fluorescent light...I simply can`t (well, I can see the really *awful* stuff..) :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the craftsman halogens on a stand... think I picked them up for around $25 at sears during a sale. Definitely reveal EVERY defect in the paint.
    dylan von kleist | technical director & product development | adam`s premium car care
    e: dylan@adamspolishes.com | toll free: [866] 965 - 0400 | shop online at adamspolishes.com

Thread Information