Post Thanks / Like
    My drying towels have been doing double duty on windows (Cobra Ultra Plush and Vroom). I`ve been planning on getting some dedicated glass towels for a while now. When my Cobras started leaving lint I started looking considering my options. I`ve used a few WW towels and thought they worked pretty good. I also tried a single glass microfiber towel that worked pretty good as well. I like to have enough towels to last at least a week in my mobile business. This allows me to wash my drying, glass, grunge, paint towels separately. I considered MF but after the lint problem with my Cobras (1st towels I`ve had this problem with) and the cost of purchasing 50 or more, I decided to rule them out. I had used Surgical Huck towels in the past for many years. They worked well and were cheap. The local places mainly carry recycled blue towels. These work fine but I wanted a color that couldn`t be missed and I wanted new towels. I`ve found new ones locally before but they were always pricey and always blue. I decided just to get them online. A few places had nice prices but minimum order was higher than I was willing to initially spend. Other places had high prices and those with lower prices either had high shipping or I had to call to order and get shipping. After a few sites I decided to look for free shipping. First site I came up with in my search for "huck surgical towels free shipping" was RagLady.com Online Store

The price of $37.50 per 50 was nice and the color choices were great. A nice bonus for me was that they were located in MD (I`m in VA) and they shipped same day or next day. I have other towels in yellow, blue and orange. Green is too hospital for me and white is out of the question. I decided on HOT PINK which would have been my first choice anyway. I do wish they had a black though. I placed my order Tuesday evening. I expected they would ship on Wednesday and arrive Thursday. They indeed did arrive on Thursday in a large poly bag mailer. Inside they were folded in a clear bag. I could have probably search more and find a slightly cheaper price (with shipping) if I wanted but with the lightening fast delivery I`ll order from RagLady again.

I`ve used surgical huck towels in the past and they worked well. I tested one of the new towels on my car and it worked well. The color is great, the size is nice. I`d like a slightly heavier weight but the price on heavy weight surgical towels jumps considerably. My past experience with surgical towels is that they are exceptionally durable, don`t lint and are very colorfast. Now I have dedicated glass towels again :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    What a coincidence as just the other day I have ordered a number of huck towels!

Post Thanks / Like
    So what do they feel like? What is their material makeup?

I`ve about had it with some MFs for glass because they leave behind micro lint; go figure.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC
    What a coincidence as just the other day I have ordered a number of huck towels!

:bounce My first experience with them was a full service car wash in Northern VA about 20 years ago. They used them on the glass as well as drying. Even though I just rubbed them on cd with moderate pressure without any scratching they still seem a bit rough for paint. When I rubbed fairly hard it scratched the cd. At first I couldn`t see it until I put it directly under the light. For glass though they work great. The car wash had some washing machine extractor things that would wash the towels and spin the hell out of them. Only took a few minutes and the towels were just a little damp. They worked incredibly well like that when we dried the cars or did the windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truzoom
    So what do they feel like? What is their material makeup?

I`ve about had it with some MFs for glass because they leave behind micro lint; go figure.

They are 100% cotton. They are a weave of some sort so there is no nap. They feel course. Not as course as canvas but far from tshirt. More like a pair of jeans (think Dickies lol). Despite being rather thin (they work better if folder in 1/4 or 1/8) they are exceptionally strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaRO
    For glass though they work great.
    Glass is exactly why I am getting them. I have not found yet towel that works satisfactory on glass for me no matter how much MF boutique they are, even at $10 per towel, and I heard surgical huck towels are great for glass so I figured what do I have to lose by giving them a try, I can always use them for cleaning dirty corners of the engine in worst case. So I am looking forward to trying them as cleaning glass is one of things that frustrates me most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would these be okay for drying wheels and tires or too scratchy? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    And here I thought I was the only one that used huck towels. A year ago I was doing a consulting gig at a MFG facility and noticed them using hucks instead of the standard mechanic`s red rag, the maint supervisor gave me a handful and wow did they work nice.

As other have mentioned they are rough and personally would hesitate to use them on the paint but they work great for windows (lint free), engine bays (nice thick and course to do major scrubbing) door jams and wheels. Also great for interiors, the slight roughness of the rag helps when scrubbing down dashes and leather seats.

I bought from a place called P.I.G. online, they provide all sorts of cleaning materials, haz mat ect for mfg type places. They don`t sell their rags by the piece but rather by the Lbs and a 25lb vacum sealed bag cost me about 37.00 not including shipping. I would say they are well over 100 rags in that pack. They were new and blue, they didn`t offer any other colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...color choices

I never got around to ordering the huck towels after the previous thread about them, I`ll have to look into it.

I`m glad somebody mentioned the coarseness....the side glass on the Audis abuts fragile gloss black plastic on the "B" and "C" pillars and I`d hate to damage it; I might want to be a little careful about how/where I use these things.

Oh, and if they`re too coarse for paint I don`t see using them on doorjambs :think: Many such areas aren`t even clearcoated and the paint that is in there can be softer/more fragile than the paint on the outside of the car. Considering what a pain such areas sometimes are to polish, I sure wouldn`t want to mar them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyexec
    They don`t sell their rags by the piece but rather by the Lbs and a 25lb vacum sealed bag cost me about 37.00 not including shipping. I would say they are well over 100 rags in that pack.
    That sounds right, going price seems to be about $0.40 per towel (your place seems slightly lower) and there is 6-7 towels in a pound.

BTW, hi to entertainment company on Culver/Overland (?) from entertainment company on Avenue of the Stars. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL well howdy neigbor! I know ave of the stars well :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf

They should work just fine. When I scratched the cd I pushed down pretty hard. Much, much harder than I`d ever use on a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might look into these. I`m glad I am not the only one willing to admit that specialty glass WWs (especially the highly regarded cobra glass WWs) lint. For some reason though, I`ve gotten to the point where I really don`t pay attention anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34
    ..I`m glad I am not the only one willing to admit that specialty glass WWs (especially the highly regarded cobra glass WWs) lint..

Not to take this off-topic, but did your Cobra Glass WWs lint right off the bat or after a period of use? Mine were/are OK for a while but once they wear they start linting.

Thread Information