Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    While I’ve been meaning to put together a foam cannon and foam gun comparison thread for some time, but haven’t had the time to sit down and do it. The point of this thread is to have a definitive source for the advantages and disadvantages to both a foam cannon and foam gun (as both have their pros/cons).

To start off, I’ll explain which model Im using, as well as the dilution ratio/soaps. I tried my best to document everything as best I could. For those who aren’t sure what the difference between a foam gun and foam cannon are, I’ve detailed this below. I’ve also mentioned which equipment Im using.

Foam Cannon - This is basically an attachment for a pressure washer , with a solution tank that uses the pressure of your pressure washer to create foam. In the article, I am using a Cam Foam Cannon with a Brigs and Stratton pressure washer @ 2700 PSI. You don’t’ need this much, but I wouldn’t’ recommend an electric pressure washer. The Cam Foam Cannon I used can be purchased here (I have no affiliation with this site).

Cam Spray 527100 - Foamer Attachment - Cam Spray 527100 - Every Pressure Washer. Great Selection of Electric Pressure Washers, Gas Pressure Washers, Hot Water Pressure Washers, Cold Water Pressure Washers, & Much More!

Foam Gun – An attachment to a normal garden hose setup that mixes soap solution and water (via a solution bottle) and creates foam this way. Lower pressure will mean a less “thick foamâ€. The foam gun Im using in this article is the Gilmour style foam gun, available through many online retailers or through Autopia sponsors as well.

Here is a visual comparison of the tools used.

Here is a picture of the foam cannon and foam gun.

Now, the solution tank you see pictured, is NOT the original solution tank for the foam cannon, it was much to small. So I`ve put a bigger one on. The thread pitch is a very standard thread pitch. I simply went to the hardware store, bought some silicon tubing (3/8 ") as well another garden spray bottle, and modified it to fit. The silicon tubing was for the l onger siphon tube you see pictured. Here is a shot of the old/new bottle, as well as the modifing of the siphon hose.

The soap I’ve been using (atleast that is documented here) is using the DP Xtreme Foam . I started using this in my foam gun almost a year ago, and have found it to work best for ME. I have other soaps I’ve used in both the foam cannon and gun, but haven’t taken any pictures, as the DP is my usual go-to soap. I encourage others to post the soaps they’re using, as well as the dilution ratios, and lastly if they are using a foam gun or foam cannon.

Now onto the dilution ratios. For the picture you will see posted, here are the dilution ratios I used.

-For the Foam Cannon, I used 2oz of DP Xtreme Foam, per 10oz of water.

For the Foam Cannon (I`ve got the half gallon solution tank) I used 4oz of DP Xtreme Foam for the half gallon tank.

To compare the two, I`ve split it into a few categories. These are:

-Ability to cling to Vertical Panels

-Lubrication

-Cleaning Ability

We all know any soap will do fine on horizontal panels, it`s the vertical panels where the test is. So to do this, I`ve taken photos at 30 Seconds, 1 Minute, 2 Minutes and 3 Minutes of the soap. I`ve also (by feel) tried to guage how the lubrication was between the foam produced by the foam cannon, and that produced by the foam gun.

Now, on with the pictures! Here is the pictures of the foam cannon (on the right) vs the foam gun (left) using the dilution ratios listed above. Both the foam gun, and foam cannon were set to their highest ratios.

Another pic with the entire side foamed

As you can see, the foam produced by the cannon, sticks to vertical panels far better than the foam gun. However, if you want to use the foam gun in one hand, and mitt with the other, then you could negate this fact. But for my purposes, I find foaming a side first, then mitting sections works for me. I can do it faster with the cannon as it sticks to the panels, so I don`t have to worry about constantly foaming.

The foam cannon does have it`s downfalls (imo). If you run a gas powered pressure washer, it`s loud. Also, I would suggest using shade to do this in as well. If the foam sits in the sun while on the car for a few minutes it takes more effort to rinse off. It`s also more "trouble" to set up than a foam gun. But, all these are minor in comparison to how much fun it is to lather your vehicle in a thick layer of foam. It`s one of those odly satisfying things, like popping bubble wrap.

The foam gun is still a great tool, and I certainly still use it. I wouldn`t reccomend this if you were trying to do a high volume operation, or cut costs. I would say it`s more for the enthusiasts.

Im sure there is lots I`ve left out, so feel free to add in your suggestions and we can keep this thread going.
    Pinnacle Detailing - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-T TypeM

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about ordering a foam cannon for my PW. I might have a big account with 18 wheelers and it would be nice to use. You said its not that good to use in the sun cause its harder to get off. I was thinking of foaming the trailor, then the cab, and then going back to scrub the trailor, then rinsing all off. Would that be too much time in the sun you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison. Some good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very neat to see the side by side. I`ve never used either of the products but I have two questions. I see some foaming the vehicle, letting it dwell, pressure rinsing and then drying. No mitting. My question is whether the foam has any affect on the outcome beside allowing it to cling during the dwell time. Could you accomplish the same results by wetting the vehicle with the same concentration of soap (foaming or not) and rewetting as needed for the same dwell time then pressure rinsing. I`m curious if anyone has tried this. Next question is how does the foam cannon work differently then If you were to pump soapy water through your pressure washer and high pressure spray it.

Post Thanks / Like
    pictures do not work?

Post Thanks / Like
    the pictures don`t work for me either

Post Thanks / Like
    My domains host seems to be having a bit of an interruption. Im sure it will be back up soon. I`ll try to see what`s happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileJay
    I have been thinking about ordering a foam cannon for my PW. I might have a big account with 18 wheelers and it would be nice to use. You said its not that good to use in the sun cause its harder to get off. I was thinking of foaming the trailor, then the cab, and then going back to scrub the trailor, then rinsing all off. Would that be too much time in the sun you think?

My suggestion here would be to do a half trailer at a time, mitt it, then rinse. An entire side of trailer at once (in the sun anyway) would be too much. If you CAN, do the side with the shade first, turn it around in the sun, then do the other side in the shade..This would work. If turning it around isn`t an option, I would just do smaller panels at a time. I find if you have one person foaming, while you`re mitting you can get quite a bit done quickly without having to "re-foam" a panel because it has slung down the vertical surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work. Nice write-up!
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    the pics a great ... I have a gilmour and a Foam Canon and i prefer the canon, works really well as a pre rinse

Post Thanks / Like
    mcnab- Good write-up :xyxthumbs

While I`ll be sticking to my (very different) foamgun technique for the BHB/Mitt-ing part of the wash, I`m actually giving some thought to the pressure-washer/foam cannon for the initial pre-wash. Not sure it`d be right for my situation (indoor use, tighty-packed shop with no margin-of-error regarding overspray), but it has piqued my interest

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good. I might get the foam cannon even if I don`t get that account, seems like fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow what a huge difference, i have never used either of em but am now very interested in the cannon. although i havent used my pw for a few years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    mcnab- Good write-up :xyxthumbs

While I`ll be sticking to my (very different) foamgun technique for the BHB/Mitt-ing part of the wash, I`m actually giving some thought to the pressure-washer/foam cannon for the initial pre-wash. Not sure it`d be right for my situation (indoor use, tighty-packed shop with no margin-of-error regarding overspray), but it has piqued my interest

If you have no margin for error, the cannon is probably not the best idea. It has a tendency to fling around the place pretty good. Your walls will be littered with foam in no time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information