Thread: WW wearing out

Post Thanks / Like
    Do WW wear out? After time do they lose there absorbency?

The reason for my question: Today I decided to do a little ONR wash. I just got some Pakshak WW drying towels and wanted to try them out. They work like a charm. However when I went to dry off a panel with one of my older Sonus der wonder something something drying WW there was noticeable less drying power. The Sonus WW is about a year old and always washed with Sonus der wounder wash. I don`t think this is a case of Pakshak WW being "better" and Sonus not as good but maybe the Sonus WW has just lost its drying power over time and I have not noticed. So any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess that I`m just crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure the WW are going to wear out. Just like any material. Most house towels, shirts, MF towels, all wear out eventually. If they are not holding water, you might want to wash them again. That is normally a sign of buildup of some sort.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash them with the hottest water possible, and use White Distilled Vinegar in the rinse cycle. You can even do a whole extra was using no cleaners, and only vinegar. This will help release any buildup that may have developed in your towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve done the multiple-washes-without-detergent thing before and it worked well. After a dozen or so hot washes and a final vinegar rinse my WWs were working better than they had in ages. But my oldest BBT just doesn`t work as well as it used to and I figure that it`s literally wearing out, losing the texture/deep pockets that make it work so well. I suppose it shouldn`t surprise me, stuff wears out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I will try the vinegar wash and see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the vinegar wash works really well to revive your towels if they`re starting to lose their absorbency. They also come out a bit softer too.

What I do is wash with perfume-free detergent (Costco brand) on the hottest setting. After the wash is done, I put it through another wash, except without soap and this time I pour in some white distilled vinegar.

By doing this, not only do I give it extra cleaning time/power, but I don`t have to deal with waiting and timing for the rinse cycle to come on. The downey ball works ok sometimes, but I`ve noticed that sometimes not all of the vinegar is released from the ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Stuff, please report back to tell us how the vinegar wash worked when you`ve tried it out. I might be considering it soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    Hey, Stuff, please report back to tell us how the vinegar wash worked when you`ve tried it out. I might be considering it soon.

Will do. My car got sprinkled on a little tonight so my OCD might kick in and have to fix that. If the vinegar washed WW work better I might have to try this to all my older MFs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990

No need to wait, it works. There is a very good technical reason as to why it works, I just don`t know enough about it to repeat, but it has been discussed more than several times here on the board.

I don`t wash my towels without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDookie
    No need to wait, [vinegar rinsing] works..

Yeah, if that doesn`t work your towels are either *very* contaminated (try boiling them and then rewash/vinegar rinse) or they`re just plain worn out.

Look in the washer during the final rinse- there shouldn`t be any suds.

I too simply add a bit of the vinegar to the final rinse of my MFs, every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good... I`ll try that out when I get some vinegar and gather my dirty MF`s and WW`s together

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys no luck. Washed the car today and the old WW just would not suck up the water. I might try the vinegar wash again but I don`t think its going to do anything. I think the WW are just worn out.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s definitely a possibility. Keep in mind that sometimes there is so much build up in the towels that it *does* take a few washes/rinses to get everything out. Do they feel fluffy and soft, or are they thin and crisp?

Also, are you using dryer sheets?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve recently washed my oldest BBT *numerous* times, no sudsing in the washer, all should be well....but it just doesn`t adsorb the water they way it used to. I suppose most things have a limited useful life.

It still works OK for getting a good deal of the water off, especially if I "prime" it by doing the windows/etc. first, thus getting it a little damp. I`ve been following up with my better WWs.

Thread Information