Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, I`m new around here, but I was just wanting some information on some Griot`s Garage products.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the squeegee (have you had problems with scratches from it?).

And I`m also wondering what kind of mit you guy suggest for washing a Interlagos Blue (deep blue) BMW; the microfiber mits or the sheepskin mit.

PS- the GG Car Wash is pretty good as far as I`ve heard on this forum right?

Thanks in advance,

Chase

Post Thanks / Like
    Chaseme- Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, the GG`s Car Wash is *very* good, it`s all I use.

The problem with the squeegee (any of `em) isn`t so much that it will scratch in and of itself, but rather that someday a tiny spec of something abrasive will get stuck between the squeegee and the paint and will cause a nasty scratch. Might not happen often, bit eventually it *will* happen (voice of experience).

I don`t consider the color of the paint when evaluating a mitt. I test it (wet with wash solution) on a CD and if it passes that test then I check it for dirt retention vs. free-rinsing, efficacy of cleaning vs. gentleness, and overall user-friendliness.

FWIW I use both MF and sheepskin mitts, but overall I`d generally recommend the latter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but you did say "Griots Garage Products".

Have either of you tried GG`s Spray-On Wax, or their Best of Show Wax? I haven`t, but am curious what people think of these.

I`ve got GG`s waffle weave drying towels, and Speed Shine, and they both rock. I also ordered a leather steering wheel cover for my Honda, and it was the best 14.95 accessory I`ve ever bought.
    Constantly striving to keep the cars clean...:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, et. al.; regarding the squeegee. if a small particle does get caught in/under the squeegee, wouldn`t that same particle get dragged across the paint by the drying towel? i for one have not tried the squeegee approach because there seems to be more negative than positive.

i too love Griot`s Garage Car Wash. great stuff.

welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Griot`s sheepskin mitt. It has a substantial feel to it and is different than most other kinds. It`s made in Canada as opposed to Asia, which may be part of the reason. At first, I was worried that it would cling to dirt too much because of the fine fibers it has (they`re more sinewy than the Eurow ones for example, if that makes sense). But fortunately, I didn`t find that to be the case. Only drawback is it`s expensive. I prefer seasponges overall, but if I`m using sheepskin I like to use this one.

I also want to plug their soap. It`s really become my favorite. The only time I use something else is to experiment, but I always go back to Griot`s.
    If you`re irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?

-Rumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oajr
    ... if a small particle does get caught in/under the squeegee, wouldn`t that same particle get dragged across the paint by the drying towel? ...
    Yes, but in a cloth towel the particle will recede into the nap, at least a little bit, reducing or possibly preventing the scratch. With the squeegee you have the solid rubber pressing it against the paint.

I’ve seen paint gouged beyond repair by a piece of grit caught below a water blade.

I’ve mainly bought tools and accessories from Griot’s. I’ve always been pleased with their products and service.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice in response to my questions.

I just got a job last week washing cars at a local Mercedes Benz and Porsche dealership and we use the squeegee blades (not the GG) to wick water off, then we use 100% cotton towels to remove the left over water. We take extra care to make sure the blade is clean by running our fingers on it to remove possible particles. So far I haven`t noticed any scratches caused by the squeegee, so I`ve began to consider one for home use.

The thing with the microfiber mits is that it is $10 for two mits, but it`s $17 for one sheepskin mit.

Looks like I will be purchasing some GG soap.

-Chase

Post Thanks / Like
    We have had many debates on whether or not the water blades work or cause marring.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I`m unsure about the blade, but I know one thing, it does remove alot of water.

Maybe I`ll still purchase it just to use it on the windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaseme
    The thing with the microfiber mits is that it is $10 for two mits, but it`s $17 for one sheepskin mit.

I highly recommend trying a Eurow brand sheepskin mitt available at Wal-Mart for $5. I have been using them for several years with very good success.

P.S. Definitely pick up some Griot`s Car Wash - great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    my waffle weave drying towels don`t have much of a nap but i guess i could see how a particle might hide itself easier in it than a squeegee blade.

Chaseme, Griot`s also offers popsicle stick style wheel cleaners (they call them wheel scrubber brushes) that have foam pads on the end of long plastic handles. I suppose it all depends on what wheels you have but they work like a charm for me (rs4 wheels).

regards
    2015 Porsche Carrera S Coupe
    2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
    1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a leaf blower if I do a conventional wash. It cost me $30 bucks and elminates 90% of the water in 3 minutes. Then go over it with my WW. Perfectly dry.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the "flow" rinse method as a final rinse after cleaning a vehicle.

On a vehicle with well sealed paint, this sheets most of the water off and whatever remains comes off easy with a WW MF towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do the low-flow (Hot Wheels reference!) method, and then get my leaf blower out to get ALL the water out of the door handles, grill, around the lights, and around the side door trim...that`s the worst.
    Constantly striving to keep the cars clean...:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Milestones
    I use the "flow" rinse method as a final rinse after cleaning a vehicle.

On a vehicle with well sealed paint, this sheets most of the water off and whatever remains comes off easy with a WW MF towel.

Same here.

The GG Car Wash is really good, it`s all I use as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information