Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on polishing a black bmw tomorrow and would like to know any tips/tricks to using 3M rubbing compound (with a PC) since I haven`t had a chance to use it yet and don`t want to screw anything up.....Thanks:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would shy away from a product you haven`t used before on black.

I`m not familiar with the 3M line but it`s obviously a compound and sounds aggressive. I would first use a product you are familiar with... or at least try something less agressive first like a light polish.

And then if that doesn`t tackle the problem step up your pad selection. And if that doesn`t do it THEN move to your compound.

But again I`m not familiar with the 3M line sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it all the time with a rotary and a wool pad. I don`t think the pc will generate enough heat for the 3M to be effective. Maybe others can chime in on this.

For an effective combo with a pc: Meguiar`s #83 and a polish pad works well on black Bimmers....I`ve done quite a few of them that way until I started working in a shop environment with a rotary.

Hope that helps
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used it numerous times with my PC on speed 4-5. It works very well.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m assuming we`re talking about the PI-II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound.

Wear a mask, that stuff contains silica and will kill you just like asbestos.

It works fine by PC/Cyclo/hand. Has a little more cut than PI-III 05933, doesn`t finish out quite as nicely but isn`t bad. Will need at least one milder follow-up.

Try with a polishing pad unless the marring is severe. Works OK with a cutting pad but I`d

do only the initial passes that way then switch to the polishing pad.

4" pads work *MUCH* better with this than larger ones (by PC).

IMO this is a pretty mild product despite its scary name...I`ve used it on paints ranging from very soft lacquer to very hard b/c, by hand/PC/Cyclo/rotary, with no problems. But note that some recent-vintage black BMWs have *VERY* soft clear so be prepared for that if the car`s a newer one.

And I`m not foolin` about wearing the proper mask, and I`m not one to get all paranoid about stuff like that by a long shot.

Totoland Mach- Give it a try by hand some time (maybe one of those out-of-the-way spots where a machine won`t fit); I think you`ll be pleasantly surprised. Heh heh, not too often I get to suggest something to *you*

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never done a black car, but I have the 3M stuff and it took 98% of all the swirls on my trunk and spoiler using a PC.
    Converted over to ONR & now Lowes grout sponge. Protected by 3M clear bra, and one layer of Zaino is all you need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer25
    I plan on polishing a black bmw tomorrow and would like to know any tips/tricks to using 3M rubbing compound (with a PC) since I haven`t had a chance to use it yet and don`t want to screw anything up.....Thanks:xyxthumbs

I have used it on my black SL55 with a PC set at 5. I then followed it with Menzerna 106FF and it worked great.
    Lou K

Post Thanks / Like
    Used it on my dark blue Honda Odyssey to remove swirls and 2000 grit wetsanding marks, using the PC on 5 with a cutting pad. Followed with Sonus SFX-2 with a polishing pad. Worked great! Tons o` dust though, wear a mask as has been recommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes... do any of these other polishes / compounds have silica in them?

Optimum, Menzerna, Blackfire, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Imatk, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Plus, 3m PIII 05933 and PIII 05937

Accumulator I hope you have an answer to this.

Change

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Wear a mask, that stuff contains silica and will kill you just like asbestos.
    Two weekends ago I worked with Menzerna that was dusting. My sinuses quickly afterwards reminded me I made a very dumb mistake by being on auto-pilot and not practicing what I preach (about masks) because I forgot them at home. Moment I got home first thing I did is go for my box with masks and put them together with polishes. That way I will not forget them next time.

BTW, which masks you advise to get? Right now I am using just 3M paper ones. Should I step up?

Post Thanks / Like
    AFAIK the PI-III line doesn`t have the silica-based dust issues. The PI-II FCRC has a warning on the label and none of the other abrasives I use have that...yeah, that means I`m just *assuming* they`re OK...take that for what it`s worth :nixweiss

I dunno which mask you oughta use, but it`s gotta be "better" than a regular dust mask...something like a cartridge-style respirator. I used a disposable 3M vapor-safe mask that I already had on hand for use with stuff like POR-15/Rust Encapsulator. And I quit using the PI-II FCRC in favor of the PI-III RC 05933 anyhow. I know the PI-II is easier to find, but still...

Heh heh, the whole "breathing abrasive dust mixed with autopaint dust" issue makes me glad I don`t do much paint correction though

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting... well I`ve not seen any warning labels on the Optimum stuff or Menzerna that I use so I guess it`s ok.

Although that stuff doesn`t really dust anyway.

Thread Information