Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been doing some research on polishes that I need to have for my spring polishing. The prices of Meguiars 80/83 and OP/OC are about the same, so I`d like to get some opinions regarding which polish you guys prefer.

Also, I would also like to know the equivalence between these products. Does 80 compare to OP or OC? How about 83, is it more similar to OC or OHC in cutting abilities?

Post Thanks / Like
    bump! Anybody have any ideas on this topic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I haven`t used Meg`s 80/83 but have used the Optimum polishes.

I really enjoy the ease of use regarding the Optimum line and they work well. If you are looking to save I`d suggest grabbing the Optimum Hyper Compound and the Optimum Polish. This way you can pick up a dispensing bottle (cheap!) and have a broad range of polishing power by mixing the OHC/OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like good tips I`ll keep that in mind if I go for the Optimum polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used optimum polish for the first time today and I love it. It never dusted and was a breeze to wipe off, plus it has a pleasant smell. It is now my polish of choice. I`ve never used 80 or 83 so I cant compare, but it seems like the optimum line is very popular with a lot of autopians. Hope that helped.

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been plenty of threads discussing this (probably searching on the Optimums around the time they first came out will help). The Meg`s polishes are good, they tend to dust quite a bit and they have the Meg`s "trade secret" polishing oils in them (read: fillers). The Optimum products are virtually dust-free and finish down a little nicer.

As far as the cut, Optimum has been monkeying around with the OC and OHC. I have the older versions, and to be honest, I can`t tell any difference between the two. From what I have read on here, the OC has been beefed up, but then again you can`t be sure you`ll be getting the new version, depending on where you order from (unless they specify it`s the new version). I can`t find the latest abrasive comparison thread, but 80/83 are approximately equivalent to OP/OC, with the new OHC reportedly being more in the PG/SSR3 range.

EDIT: One other thing, I think the consensus is you will get a lot more mileage out of a quart of Optimum than Meg`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez
    I just used optimum polish for the first time today and I love it. It never dusted and was a breeze to wipe off, plus it has a pleasant smell.

Ugh...I really don`t like the smell of the Optimums...as I said before (or maybe not ) I have the older versions of OC and OHC and the new version of OP, the OP is the least offensive of the three.

Post Thanks / Like
    I only hear stellar things on the Optimum line. Seems every detailer here uses at least one of the OP, OHC, OP, OPS products. While I know the Meg`s work well too, they seem to have less of a following. Not sure if that helps you or not.

What I can say though is def buy the Optimum from Danase.com, Bob gives you 12% off when you sign up at danaseforums.com, a smoking deal!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Meg`s polishes for some time and think they work really well. For me they hardly dust at all, a bigger problem is that some of them tend to gum up, which can be slightly annoying from time to time. I particularly like #80, which is a very versatile polish with nice working properties. It`s also almost a glaze at the same time since it`s so loaded with polishing oils. It leaves a very nice finish especially on single stage paints. Btw this talk about fillers really is nonsense, I remove polish residue with a MF slightly dampened with QD, and this leaves any left over imperfection to show, also when using #80.

Lately I`ve become very fond of OHC which has a nice cut and a very long work time. On the other hand I find #84 to finish down much nicer. The problem I have with #84 is that it tends to sort of dissapear after polishing a bit, so I have to reapply quite often and end up using a lot more polish compared to OHC. And for a compound I`m not to concerned with how it finishes down, since I`ll always be following with a less abrasive polish anyway.

So for a compound my current favorite is OHC. While for a polish it`s #80.

My observations are from using the products with a rotary. I haven`t tried OC so I don`t know how that fits in.

Edit: Smell wise I really like #83, it has kind of an almondy scent I don`t really care for the smell of either OHC or #80.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since when are polishing oils "fillers"?????

Post Thanks / Like
    The polishing oils are not fillers,

Fillers in M80 Experiment

I`m with Zet about the gumming up, I`ve experienced this with DACP alot, mostly in the middle of a detail, when the pad gets more loaded around the edge...

DACP dust :

I can`t comment on the OP/OC line as I haven`t tried them..

but it seems like it`s the more preffered combo here than 80/83...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used all megs polishes and OP/OC and if it was me it would be OP/OC. Megs to me is outdated and is loaded with outdated oils and on some paints it will gum up. When it comes to top notch work I use Presta compounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Ugh...I really don`t like the smell of the Optimums...as I said before (or maybe not ) I have the older versions of OC and OHC and the new version of OP, the OP is the least offensive of the three.

Well compared to the smell of SFX-1(cat piss...seriously) OP was a pleasent suprise.

EDIT: I want to mention that Sonus did reformulate the SFX polishes and I belived replaced the Eau de Feline with something like pinapple...

Post Thanks / Like
    80 has fillers in it....i dont care what anyone says....you cant tell me that 80 on a polishing pad can take out defects that 83/OC on a light cutting pad couldnt....enough said!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez
    Well compared to the smell of SFX-1(cat piss...seriously) OP was a pleasent suprise.

EDIT: I want to mention that Sonus did reformulate the SFX polishes and I belived replaced the Eau de Feline with something like pinapple...
    haha!

Yes I have the newer formula and it doesn`t smell bad. Now SFX-2 smells like some sweet pina colada goodness! :dance

Sorry to stray off topic, carry on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information