Post Thanks / Like
    I`m pretty new here, and have already made a ton of purchases based on everyone`s recommendations. I`ve got Souveran paste wax coming, as well as P21S. I have some XMT and some Hi-Temp, some no rinse wash, etc.

Before coming here, I had some Mother`s paste wax in my cabinet. I do have a lot of Meguiar`s (mostly the professional line) and maybe even a Turtle wax product. I also get the Griot`s Garage catalog, but have never made a purchase.

My question:

On a 100 point scale, if your best/greatest/favorite brand gets a score of 100, then how many points out of 100 do you give the more prominent brands?

Meguiar`s

Mother`s

Turtle Wax

Griots

(any others I may have missed)

I guess my question is, how much of a difference is there really?

Is Turtle wax a 97, and Zymol fans give Zymol a 100? Or wuold Turtle Wax score only 15 points?

I don`t want to inflame anyone, or start a battle about what`s best. I`m just wondering how the major over the counter brands rate compared to the highest end stuff in people`s opinions?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends because each of those companies have such a broad array of products, some being a lot better than others and some lines within particular companies being significantly better than other lines.

For example, Mother`s FX and Reflections products are much better than some of their other stuff (although honestly, I`m a fan of Mother`s overall). Turtle Wax Platinum Series is generally very well-regarded and is leaps and bounds better than many of the standard Turtle Wax products. The same can be said with Meguiar`s except it`s *amplified* because they`re just such a huge company with a seemingly endless selection of products.

But all else being equal, if there were two huge bins, one filled with OTC products and the other filled with smaller-volume, mostly internet-based products and I were to jump in and blindly grab whatever, I`m going into the latter every time.

(And yeah, naturally, process is more important [that gets mentioned a lot], but if the same person is doing all the prep-work then that factor is going to be held constant.)
    If you`re irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?

-Rumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Duragloss...very good OTC products all around
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I can never find Duragloss products OTC. Many say Car Quest carries their products, and I went to many of them without seeing the product even in their catalogues!
    Not an ordinary teen

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my detailing stuffs is made of Meguiars line, with the expection of few wash mitts and klasse. Some of the stuff I like most are #80, #21, Hyper-Dressing, and of course APC+. I get good results everytime I uses it and their products is very afforable, I would recommand them to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs makes many many great products.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you`re looking for more than a wax, tire dressing or car wash soap, go with a professional line of products.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    All of my Mothers stuff is exceptional. TWPUG is killer, just as NXT Paste.

Thread Information