Thread: Optimum line...

Post Thanks / Like
    Does/did anyone else here experience Optimum polishes/compounds "clogging" up the pads?

I`ve used mostly Meguiar`s polishes, Menzerna FPII and OPT OHC, OC, OP... and it seems like everytime I`m done and soak my pads to clean them, the Optimum stuff stays in the pads (mostly OP) and is very greasy/oily and hard/impossible to get out... I am not using too much product btw, and I do spur the pads a few times during a detail, but it happens every time... the pads in question are "old" 6.5" LC flat pads from autogeek and 6.5" LC contoured pads form properautocare...

Am I retarded with Optimum??

Post Thanks / Like
    Spur foam pads???

I think you are using way too much product. I`ve never had any issues with Optimum stuff - except a few isolated cases where the new formulas make the pads "bubble". But after washing, the pads return to their original form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same story from me.

during polishing the pads do bubble when full of polish or paint. After cleaning, however, the pads always come out looking brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ConglomrationAL
    Same story from me.

during polishing the pads do bubble when full of polish or paint. After cleaning, however, the pads always come out looking brand new.
    Bubble? Huh? Mine "swell" a little.........Optimum is one of the easier lines of polishes I have used. I don ever recall any "nuttin" up issues with the polish or compound.

Try using a little less...
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use very little. 1-2 pea sized drops. When I used my orange Menzerna pad the last time, it was swollen exactly where the original little drops were... One drop has fallen on the side of the pad - it looked so funny, and the swollen area was much softer than the surrounding foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    So none of you guys experience the greasy/oily pads after you`re done? Now I`m thinking I`m not working the polish long enough so it`s not drying up on the pad...??

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same issues, but it does not effect the pad function so I don`t worry about it. I just clean them like normal with APC and a small brush.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wifehatescar
    I have the same issues, but it does not effect the pad function so I don`t worry about it. I just clean them like normal with APC and a small brush.

You also have oily liquid left in the pad after you`re done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    You also have oily liquid left in the pad after you`re done?
    Thats Optimums lubricating oils...........all polishes have some lubricating oils, some more then others.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wifehatescar

+1

Ivan I would try using 4 spread out drops, smaller than 1/2 a penny on the pad and spur often. During use, make sure that the pad is coated with the OP, but not so much so that it clogs the pores and/or significantly changes the color of the pad.

I wash all the pads with a 1:10 APC sprays on the pad surface, rinse, and then spin them at 2500rpm for 20 seconds and they dry overnight.
    Ryan

2008 BMW 335i

Thread Information