Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I just found this forum today, and I was wanting to get some advice/input/help from the experienced community.

I just got a brand new 2007 Honda Accord, Nighthawk Black. This is my first new car in ages, and my first ever black car.

I have been searching the internet like crazy over the past two weeks trying to figure out the very best products to purchase and use on my new Accord to really make that Black paint POP and give that wet look.

Here is what I have ordered so far and what I was planning on doing:

Klasse AIO

Klasse High Gloss Sealant

P21S Carnuba Wax

Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD

Since this is a brand new car, I planned on giving it a very good wash. After that I was going to apply the Klasse AIO as instructed, and then immediately follow up with a coat of the Klasse High Gloss Sealant. I would give it about 24 hours to cure, and then was planning on topping it off with the P21S, and then would use the Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD after every car wash to finish it off going forward until I decided to re-wax and start over again.

First off, I wanted to get everyone`s feelings on the products I chose. I don`t know, it seems the more I read, the less confident I now am of my original choices. The thing that I want most is for that Black paint to POP.

I also wanted to know what everyone thought of the process I was going to follow. I know some have suggested compounds and using a PC. Although I am sure I will get to that one of these days, I don`t want to delve into that right away. I figure since it is a brand new car, I should have some time before I have to get serious and really get into that stuff.

Price is not an option regarding the products. I simply want the best there is. My first priority would be to make the Black paint POP, and right after that, the protection of the paint.

I look forward to everyone`s opinions and advice. Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would start with clay here read this: How-To Clean Your Paint with Clay

then go to autozone and get a claymagic kit for $11 and give it a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Jim, thanks for the help. I will definitely add the claying before I start the detailing process.

Quick thoughts from anyone, I have been reading a lot that the Klasse High Gloss Sealant is a paint in the rear to take off. At the same time, I have been reading a lot of great things about Meguires NXT sealant regarding ease of use and the paint POP it gives. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

I also had another question regarding the car washing soap. Since I live in Texas and we are rapidly approaching summer, nothing drives me more crazy than soaping the hell out of my car only to spray it off and have it dry on me before I can towel it off, and get left with a bunch of water marks.

Does anyone have any specific car wash soap recommendations, specifically those that dry off clean and without water spots?

Post Thanks / Like
    NXT is alright - its one of hundreds of products out there that holds its own, but won`t knock your socks off. Personally, I`d AIO then apply two layers of P21S, skipping the Sealant Glaze.

The process is: AIO, apply one layer of P21s, wait 24 hours, wash, spray the paint down with a light coating of Crystal Mist (consider keeping it in the fridge for 20 minutes before), apply a 2nd coat of P21S, buff off. You won`t be disappointed.

Honda paint is super soft - so the quality of your wash mitts, towels, and wash method in general is of vital importance. Poor technique or equipment will result in frequent polishing.

With any luck, your Accord will look like this:

Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is exactly what I am wanting.

I really appreciate the advice. That said, you are the ONLY person I have seen suggest that you skip the sealant all together.

Also, thanks for the advice on the Honda paint. That leads me to another question. I have been told two separate things when what to use when waxing a car. One website says to use Microfiber towels, while another site says that Microfiber towels actually pull the wax off when using them as a buffer, and suggest using cloth diapers. So, which is it?

I went ahead and bought a few Microfiber towels for all of my drying. I can`t imagine I could do any better than that right?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re looking for a AIO type product, and not full swirl removal, I`d try Duragloss 101, it`s a chemical cleaner just like Klasse AIO, but many find it works even better. It also lays down a layer of sealant kind of like Klasse AIO. Then, instead of using AIO/SG, you`d use 101/105, which is Duragloss` own pure sealant. I have a black car and it is topped with only 2 coats of 105 and it looks very nice, and is quite slick to the touch.

Duragloss can be found at excel detail and autogeek both. The other good thing about the 101/105 combo is it`s ability to work well with DG Aquawax, a amazing spray sealant/wax/gloss enhancer.

So, I`d: wash, clay, wash, 101 with white polishing pad at PC speed 5, then 105 by hand with yellow foam applicator. Wait 24 hours and apply one more coat for even coverage. Maintain with DG 921 quick detailer after every wash, and Aquawax about every 4-6 weeks to *boost* the 105.

Post Thanks / Like
    Duragloss is also found at NAPA or Carquest. Thats the one I would go with!
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brig2221
    ..I just found this forum today, and I was wanting to get some advice/input/help from the experienced community.

I just got a brand new 2007 Honda Accord, Nighthawk Black. This is my first new car in ages, and my first ever black car....I look forward to everyone`s opinions and advice. Thanks!!!

Welcome to Autopia!

This probably isn`t the advice you`re looking for, but here goes:

Don`t concentrate on the "Last Step Product"/LSP as much as on keeping the paint from getting all marred up. Black is *very* difficult to live with...one slightly careless wash and it`s marred. And marring really shows something awful if you use a sealant, that`ll be the overall look of the car- scratched up.

I`d go with a wax-based approach, probably Collinite (p21s doesn`t last long enough and is a "light" carnauba..I like something "heavier" on the paint for protection). And I`d get a foamgun and concentrate on washing/etc. without marring the paint, which will be the biggest challenge.

Heh heh, I`m pretty good at this stuff and there`s no way I`d use a sealant on a black daily driver.

Note that even though it`s new, it`ll probably need some (hopefully light) polishing. I don`t think I`ve ever seen a black vehicle at a dealership that didn`t need some. If it were mine I`d probably go with 1z polish topped with Collinite, which seems to be what I recommend to *everybody* who`s just starting out with this stuff.

Again, sorry if the above isn`t the kind of advice you were after

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt go all synthetic with just one carnauba topper on black, you are going to want a deep wet look.

I would start out with a paintwork cleanser like pinnacle`s paintwork cleansing lotion or p21s`s paintwork cleanser.

Then go over it with 1 or 2 coats of RMG and finish off with a good carnauba like p21s, #26, souveran, zymol, etc... Just make sure whatever carnauba you use does not have cleaners or it will remove the RMG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ron231
    I wouldnt go all synthetic with just one carnauba topper on black, you are going to want a deep wet look.

I would start out with a paintwork cleanser like pinnacle`s paintwork cleansing lotion or p21s`s paintwork cleanser.

Then go over it with 1 or 2 coats of RMG and finish off with a good carnauba like p21s, #26, souveran, zymol, etc... Just make sure whatever carnauba you use does not have cleaners or it will remove the RMG.

Correct me if I`m wrong, but couldn`t he just use a mixture of VM/RM and then just finish with his carnauba choice? Would save him the P21S pw cleanser step, which is only a chemical cleaner right?

Thread Information