Post Thanks / Like
    Was about to use the new Autoglym HD wax but can`t find if it stains the rubber trim or not. Has anyone used it on trim???

Just polished our `93 190E with 3MFI, added a coat of IHG, and wanted to try the AGHD tomorrow but was a little afraid of getting it on the trim (will use my p21s 100% that I know won`t stain unless someone has had good results with the AGHD).

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just mask-off your trim?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRack
    Why not just mask-off your trim?

Why not use a wax that doesn`t stain trim in the fist place so you don`t have to tape off. There is no excuse today to use a trim staining wax or difficult to use wax when there are so many user friendly alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not notice it staining trim when I used it. Then again, I try to be pretty precise when applying waxes and sealants (i.e. trying to keep it off trim, wipe off immediately when I do get it on, etc). Sorry I can`t be much more help than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A
    Why not use a wax that doesn`t stain trim in the fist place so you don`t have to tape off. There is no excuse today to use a trim staining wax or difficult to use wax when there are so many user friendly alternatives.

I guess...

Do you purposely wax your trim? I would just be really careful not to get any on the trim. That way you won`t have to worry about any staining.

HD is a great wax and is worth the purchase. I have a jar and can test a little spot and let you know if it`s a deciding factor...

Post Thanks / Like
    Most people are in a hurry when detailing a car. There are only so many hours available during the day. I once started taping all my trim -- then I said "___ that". It was taking way too long. There are many high quality products available -- which do not stain trim. I will stick to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    AgHD does not stain trim ... applied 2 coats on my black Tahoe amd OMG ... super slick-deep and wet! Nonetheless I am sure you know it comes with these little spongelike applicators that IMO are the best in the world BUT it is probably as i have medium size hands. My worker who has bigger hands did have it slip out of his hands and yes I did hit the trim once on accident and it wiped off with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony A

Exactly. I hate LSPs that stain trim. Meguiars is offender #1 in that regard. Anything they make for paint reeks havoc on trim. NXT, 105/205... OMG if you get that stuff on rubber, its easier to get new trim if you let it bake on. In fact that reminds me, I need to give away the rest of my Meguiars LSPs just for this reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Exactly. I hate LSPs that stain trim. Meguiars is offender #1 in that regard. Anything they make for paint reeks havoc on trim. NXT, 105/205... OMG if you get that stuff on rubber, its easier to get new trim if you let it bake on. In fact that reminds me, I need to give away the rest of my Meguiars LSPs just for this reason.

*cough* dibs *cough*

As an aside, stop talking praise of the Autoglym HD. You have no idea how hard it is to keep from buying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XRL
    *cough* dibs *cough*

As an aside, stop talking praise of the Autoglym HD. You have no idea how hard it is to keep from buying it.

Hey, its from Wal-mart, if you hate it, they`ll take it back! And its not like you`ll get nagged about ANOTHER package showing up at your doorstep. I just hope they don`t get SRP because I`ll probably fall for that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My gf will know and stab me in my sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not like you`re throwing away $35 - you`re buying stuff to WORK and TAKE GOOD CARE of your cars - I`m sure her car would look better with AGHD.

And so far as the trim, I did have the car taped when polishing but I DO like to use the various waxes on the trim which keeps them pretty much like new with no other treatment.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up waxing the 190 early yesterday - found on the Autoglym site that the AGHD does not stain the trim - works WONDERFULLY (didn`t even need to remove it from the trim right away like with Zymol).

Great stuff - buy some!!!! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

I have mine trained for minimal eye roll when we have to walk down the car care isle

everytime we go to walmart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 01RedSLK
    ..I DO like to use the various waxes on the trim which keeps them pretty much like new with no other treatment.... AGHD does not stain the trim - works WONDERFULLY (didn`t even need to remove it from the trim right away like with Zymol)...

Thanks for reporting that. I too like to LSP my trim.

Thread Information