Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I am a noob in this forum so please excuse me. I have recently gotten back into the restoration thing and I am currently on my 2nd car. It is a Lotus Europa (74) I have not been in the hobby for the last 20+ years and I am totaly enjoying myself again! Now here`s the question. In my teens, I used a product called Astro Shield on my cars. You could build up layers, etc. Easy on / off. No streaking, etc. I put about 30+ coats on the Lotus and I am really pleased! Yes, I still have 16 cans of the stuff! It really works quite well. The paint (Lotus yellow) looks to be about an inch thick of beautiful luster. Now here`s the question. What is the equivalent today? I know that this is a flame question or a RTFM question, but I am interested in what, if anything will bring out the showcar shine on the lotus. The paint is about 2 years old. No clear coat but a thick application of hi gloss. I apply the astroshield almost daily after I work on the car as sort of a theraputical relaxation abd "bonding" with the car. Yes, It`s strange, but It makes me feel good to treat the car well. Is there any product(s) out there that have the apply-more-coats build up the shine?

Thanks!

Rick

British Auto Sports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick, :welcome to Autopia!

Congats on diving back into the LBC world. Hard to imagine a cooler toy than a twink Europa. It looks terrific!

Can’t help you with the Astro-Shield. Never heard of it.

As for the ability to “build up shine†by applying more product, some people believe it works and some don’t. Some companies recommend it for their products, most don’t. I can only recommend that you do what works for you.

Around here everybody (well, almost everybody) will agree that preparation is far more important the LSP (last step product). No matter whose wax or sealant you use the car won’t look its best unless the finish is pristine before you top it off. So the best looking finish comes from preventing marring in the first place and removing any that does occur.

Applying product very often is a two-edged sword. If the products you choose do benefit from frequent application you are achieving that. But if your application tools/techniques aren’t up to the task you could be causing marring, doing more harm than good. I’m not saying you’re hurting your finish, only that the potential is there and you need to be aware of it. Frequent application demands the highest quality tools and technique.

So spend some time reading around here, absorb it at your own pace and ask whatever questions come to you.

Have fun!

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good words. I do indeed have a LOT of reading to do. Change is tough. I remember growing up and trying different "LSP`s". ( I learned yet another new accronym) and absolutely hating it. In my mind they either went on terrible, came off terrible, or messed up the shine. I also remember when a fender was hit on an MG that I owned. It had no less than 200+ coats of Astro SHield and I swear that I saw a clear rubbery layer on the bent part of the fender on top of the flaking off paint. I`ll begin the many hours of reading. I suspect that it would be a bad omen to ask what McGuires LSP does everyone like? If I need to change products to a better one, I was tending to that product line because of all it`s offerings.

Thanks.
    Rick

74 Lotus Europa

80 Triumph Spitfire

82 Corvette

life is too short not to have toys !

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man, they still make that stuff, just Google it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, that`s where I got the 16 cans. THere is a guy that also sells it every year at the Carlisle PA show. THe formula hasn`t changed in years.

Thanks!
    Rick

74 Lotus Europa

80 Triumph Spitfire

82 Corvette

life is too short not to have toys !

Post Thanks / Like
    If you like using the product,and you like the results,then stick with it.It is very easy to be swayed into thinking that newer products are `better`,just because they are newer.

FWIW,my late father only ever used liquid glass(which i believe is similar),and his car always looked great,but feel free to experiment with other products if you desire

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Hey man, they still make that stuff, just Google it.
    I guess I have to take back my “Never heard of it†and change it to “Haven’t tried it.†After Googling it I recognized the can. Now I remember that there was discussion about it a while back. I presume a search will pop it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rdroe
    ...I suspect that it would be a bad omen to ask what McGuires LSP does everyone like? ....
    Oh no, not at all. There are quite a few Meguiar’s users around here (myself included). #16, NXT, #21 and other Meg’s products all have their fans. It’s a personal thing so I can’t say you’ll like one of them more than what you use now, or anything else for that matter. I can only say that I’m happy with the results I get.

Quote Originally Posted by rdroe
    ... If I need to change products to a better one, I was tending to that product line because of all it`s offerings....
    It’s easy to start out with Meg’s because they have the broadest product range, their stuff isn’t expensive and it’s available everywhere. I think it works good too. No matter where you start, you can always try other products and see if you find something you like more or, if you’re happy with the results, just stick with what you’ve got.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d suggest using a good polish via PC (Porter Cable polisher) to deep clean your paint and then continue using Astro Shield if you are happy with it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information