Thread: PC substitute?

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I`ll admit it right off the bat: I`m cheap.

I sort of have a hard time justifying spending $120 on a PC when I really only see myself doing a full polish on each car more than once a year (a 328i and a Dodge Grand Caravan). I don`t think I`d bother using it with my regular sealant applications (Zaino and Werkstatt) since that stuff is so easy to apply by hand.

I have a Black and Decker Random orbit sander that has a 5" velcro disk attached to it. I`m wondering if I could just attach that to a dimmer type switch and run it at about half speed (it`s rated at about 10,000 rpm at full voltage) or less and just order up one of the orange cleaning pads to use with it.

What do you guys think? Any huge drawbacks? I don`t necessarily care if I might kill the sander because it wasn`t that expensive anyway and it`s been sitting around for at least a couple of years since we refinished the cabinets. Just want to see if I can use it for this and save spending $120.

Comments and caveats welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slap on an intermediary rheostat and start with a low speed and see how it works. Be wary of really high speed because that translates into heat which translates into damaged clear/paint. Experiment slowly.

Apply a little pressure and see how it works under a load, it might not be powerful enough but if memory serves, the PC was originally designed as a sander also.

Try this too:

Use your new orange pad as a model. Go to a foam shop and get a softer, more dense foam and cut a 5.0 or a 5.5 inch circle. Cut a similar felt circle too. Use Gorilla glue to join the felt with the foam and see how long it lasts. A softer pad would be more of a finishing pad than the orange one I would think and might be useful for putting on a really thin wax/sealant layer.

Maybe offer to do your neighbour`s car before you work on the 328 too. Just a suggestion, not necessarily a good one.

-John C

Post Thanks / Like
    having a pc is one of the best investments you`ll ever make and not to mention, you can even do a few cars on the side and it will have already paid for itself. imo, every detailer should have one in their arsenal. also, check your local lowes as many have had luck getting them on clearance...

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out whether your local Lowe`s has it. They are currently on clearance for $47.60.

Post Thanks / Like
    The price of the actual PC, even at $100 from ebay fades quickly when you add the pads, backing plate and polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you quick you can grt one from ebay just like a 7424. A PC is priceless.

eBay: Porter Cable 7336 SP / 7224 6" Random Orbit Sander NIB (item 320066393390 end time Jan-04-07 21:00:34 PST)
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simracer
    Okay,

I sort of have a hard time justifying spending $120 on a PC when I really only see myself doing a full polish on each car more than once a year (a 328i and a Dodge Grand Caravan).

Why worry about 120 bucks when you`ve got a 328i......?

A few tanks of gas money for your Grand Caravan for years worth of service from a PC...

It`s a no-bainer unless you enjoy all hand polished auto`s.......Good luck....:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Another justification for getting the PC is that you can also use it to apply waxes much more efficiently, quickly, smoothly, thinly, whatever you can think of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just try to score the Lowes deal. I wish I was in the market for one

Post Thanks / Like
    I do appreciate all the replies. Perhaps a little more information is in order...

It`s a `98 328i. Picked it up for less than wholesale according to virtually any pricing guide from a single gal who had 2 other cars and wanted to get out from under the payment. She owed more on it than what I bought it for. And the only reason I can own it is that I do all the work on it myself. Thank God for Bimmerforums.com.

Second, my first passion is racing and second is detailing. $120 saved on a PC will buy a decent race tire.

While I can see the benefits of the PC, I`m more interested in hearing why the Black and Decker random orbit sander with an orange pad will or won`t work. My thanks to John for focusing his reply on the issue at hand.

I`ve been to two local Lowes stores and neither carried much of anything in the PC brand. If I could find one for $50 then I would probably give in and make the investment.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    couldnt you just use a cordless drill and mothers powerball?
    EAGLE ONE BUCKET FREE WASH

EAGLE ONE NANO PROTECTANT

STONER INVISABLE GLASS

MEGUAIRS COLORX

VROOM MICROFIBER/PADS/SPONGE

Post Thanks / Like
    simracer, the specs on your machine are OPMs, not RPMs, so it is perfectly fine. The thing should have at least 4-5 mm pad throw.

US$120? I wish I was living in the States, because here in Hungary a good PC-alternative costs around US$400... (Lowe`s for $48... uhummm #&@%!!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Sears. They sell some low end RO machines meant for auto paint buffing. I don`t believe they accept backing plates and proper pads though - they utilize a terry towel that wraps around a foam pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to take a moment and say, from the bottom of my heart:

D@mn you, d@mn you all! (in a good way, of course!)

Due to all the peer pressure, it would seem that I have finally given in and purchased a PC.

After I found out about the Lowes 7336 closeout, I was able to locate a Lowes with a 7336 that was 100 miles away. Their price was $89, but I was able to get them to price match with a Lowes in town that last had them at $59.

On top of that, I was able to turn it into a business trip and the mileage there and back will more than pay for the cost of the buffer.

Of course now I have to figure out what backing plate I need and which pads to order. Decisions, decisions...

So again, my thanks to all of you for again contributing to my delinquency!

Oh, and by the way, the orbital "throw" on the PC is much greater than that of the RO sander that I had contemplated using.

Thread Information