Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Walmart today (Super WM) in Frederick Maryland, buying my weakly supply of Gruel and beans and wandered over to the kitchen ware looking for some terry towels to clean up the kitchen Crud!

Low and behold, they have Microfiber Ultra fine towels (16 X 19), and Microfiber Ultra Fine Waffle Weave towels (16 X 26), for a couple of dollars for "2" (made in China), what isn`t!! They appear to be really soft right down to the binding thread around the edges.

Now I will admit that I am absolutely new to detailing, I haven`t even started yet, just learning and buying the stuff to do it right, but what in the heck is the different between these towels and the Microfiber towels that sell for up to $15.00 for "1"?

I bought a couple of packs (4 towels) and intend to use them around the kitchen/house on counter tops/mirrors/windows, whatever.

Anyone tried or realize these are out there ? The savings are ridiculously great, if they are satisfactory for paint finishes.

Whoops, they are in a slate blue paper under the name of MAINSTAYS home.

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    heh, maybe this might be of interest to you

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...hlight=walmart

Post Thanks / Like
    o-yea the search key ...j/k

these will also help you with your glass problem!

Post Thanks / Like
    I swear by these towels!! I don`t use anything but these for the glass on the vehicles I detail!! I have used them to take wax off when I am out of the other towels as well. They work great!!:spot

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be going to wal-mart later today and getting some of these, can never have too many glass towels.

So you`ve all not had problems with lint? After my lint-filled experience with Vroom towels, I gave up on any OTC MF products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling
    I was in Walmart today (Super WM) in Frederick Maryland, buying my weakly supply of Gruel and beans and wandered over to the kitchen ware looking for some terry towels to clean up the kitchen Crud!

Low and behold, they have Microfiber Ultra fine towels (16 X 19), and Microfiber Ultra Fine Waffle Weave towels (16 X 26), for a couple of dollars for "2" (made in China), what isn`t!! They appear to be really soft right down to the binding thread around the edges.

Now I will admit that I am absolutely new to detailing, I haven`t even started yet, just learning and buying the stuff to do it right, but what in the heck is the different between these towels and the Microfiber towels that sell for up to $15.00 for "1"?

I bought a couple of packs (4 towels) and intend to use them around the kitchen/house on counter tops/mirrors/windows, whatever.

Anyone tried or realize these are out there ? The savings are ridiculously great, if they are satisfactory for paint finishes.

Whoops, they are in a slate blue paper under the name of MAINSTAYS home.

Changeling

Changeling: being new to detailing, you`ll do fine with those towels. I`ve tried a bunch of different brands and found a HUGE difference in microfiber products. I work in a BMW detail shop, so I use the heck out of towels. One of the big differences will be the longevity of the towel after repeated washing. Usually, the ones made in China don`t hold up as well as the ones made in Korea.

There is a very high quality towel available at K-Mart under the Viking label (dark green with plush on one side and less plush on the other). They sell for $5.00 each at K-Mart and I recommend trying one to feel the difference in quality. The Vikings take weekly washings and maintain their plush feel. By the way, DON`T put microfiber in the dryer with high heat. It will destroy the polyester fibers and you`ll end up with a cotton towel rag.

Totoland Mach
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoland Mach
    Changeling: being new to detailing, you`ll do fine with those towels. I`ve tried a bunch of different brands and found a HUGE difference in microfiber products. I work in a BMW detail shop, so I use the heck out of towels. One of the big differences will be the longevity of the towel after repeated washing. Usually, the ones made in China don`t hold up as well as the ones made in Korea.

There is a very high quality towel available at K-Mart under the Viking label (dark green with plush on one side and less plush on the other). They sell for $5.00 each at K-Mart and I recommend trying one to feel the difference in quality. The Vikings take weekly washings and maintain their plush feel. By the way, DON`T put microfiber in the dryer with high heat. It will destroy the polyester fibers and you`ll end up with a cotton towel rag.

Totoland Mach

Thank you for the heads up on the Kmart towel,not to mention saving my towels from the dryer! Another 30 minutes, that is where they would have been!!!! :goodjob

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up a pack today at Walmart for $2.96. They look like they will make an excellent glass towel.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I killed about 6 MFs in the dryer a few years back. They no longer hold water, and have become WORSE than cotton towel rags. I just picked up a dozen of these Walmart MFs and have thrown out all my old ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a very high quality towel available at K-Mart under the Viking label (dark green with plush on one side and less plush on the other). They sell for $5.00 each at K-Mart and I recommend trying one to feel the difference in quality. The Vikings take weekly washings and maintain their plush feel.

agreed, the viking`s are just as nice as any of the other boutique mf`s out there. i`ve been using them (x-large gold mf drying towel & green quick detailing mf towel) for quite a while now with no problems at all (alot nicer than the vroom/microtex drying towels, imo)... :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx
    I just picked up a pack today at Walmart for $2.96. They look like they will make an excellent glass towel.

Heh, I picked up two packs for the same exact price as you did. I was hoping to come back with stories of picking it up for $2.30 or $2.50 like some people did here, but I guess not. Oh well, it still beats the $4-5. One can never have too many WW

I did a quick test on my glasses, and it didn`t leave any lint and cleaned well. I think they should work pretty well after a wash, even though I`ll only be using it for my glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Costco today and took a look at there WW towel pack (10) for $12.??. They are not nearly as good as the WallMart towels. Just thought you might want to know.

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like

Totoland Mach

Totoland, I went to Kmart today (Dec 20, 06). I couldn`t find anything under the "Viking" brand. Everything was under a MSE brand and a couple of others, but no MF towels (Frederick Maryland).

I was in the towel/kitchen/bath section and checked it out very well but they just were not there! Was I in the right area, is that where you got yours?

I`m afraid it`s to close to Christmas or something but those women started scaring the hell out of me, look out, get out of the way, just wait and you can come down this aisle when I`m finished, I can park my cart across the isle for as long as I want, I`m changing a diaper, what`s wrong with (me), I have it all over the floor so I can make up my mind, just back up an go down another isle, on, and on, and on!!!!

No way in hell am I going back into that store if they were giving them away! I`ll just pay double or whatever! Personnel injury is not included in the purchasing of detailing equipment, when they are in some sort of "Frenzy" associated with shopping, or whatever!

I`m home now, I have turned off the lights so they can`t find me, I hope!

Beware, there out there , stay away from ALL major stores until the madness has ended!!!! :nervous:

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll find the Viking mircofibers in the automotive section. The dark green ones are plush on 1 side and regular mf on the other. There is also a large gold mf towel for drying (but I never tried it).

Again, look in the automotive section.

Here is a link to the company: Viking Car Care- Car Care made easy

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll find the Viking mircofibers in the automotive section. The dark green ones are plush on 1 side and regular mf on the other. There is also a large gold mf towel for drying (but I never tried it).

Again, look in the automotive section.

Here is a link to the company: Viking Car Care- Car Care made easy

Toto

Totoland, thanks for the Auto link!

Now, you should really work on your "Sense of humor"! This is not the end of the Yellow brick Road! Lighten up some. :dance

Changeling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information