Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had this idea for quite some time but today I was finally bored enough to try it.

I bought some Collinite #885 because it is the same formula as the 476, but in a different (smaller diameter tin). Although you get more wax in the 885 tin than you do the tin of 476, the smaller diameter tin makes it harder for me to get my 4" PC pad in when I apply it. My idea was to remove the contents of a deodorant stick, clean the container, melt the 885 and pour it in. This would give me a quick and easy way to apply the 885 to any size PC pad. My thinking was since 885/476 is a hard wax, similar to a deodorant stick, that it should work about the same.

I stopped by a dollar store and bought a measuring cup and some cheap stick deodorant. I screwed out the deodorant and threw it away. I removed the plastic piece the deodorant sits in and then cleaned it all out with paint prep and then Windex. I then put the plastic piece back in and screwed it all the way down.

I scooped what I thought would be about the right amount of 885 into the measuring cup and popped it into the microwave. After about 5 minutes I didn`t see much progress so I went to plan B. I started a pot of boiling water and put the measuring cup in the water and waited for the wax to melt. Since the deodorant stick was 2.25 ounces I wanted about that amount in the cup. As it melted I needed to add a little more to get it up to just below the 2.5 ounce mark. Any extra I figured I could just pour back into the tin of 885.

It didn`t take too long for the wax to melt and the amount I had melted filled the case almost right to the top. One of my first concerns would be that it would leak out of the cheap plastic case, but that was not a problem. I then put it into the refrigerator to cool for a while. My other concern was if this would actually work like a stick of deodorant and screw out of the container correctly.

After letting it cool while we went out to dinner I took it out of the refrigerator and it works like a champ. Not only does it screw in and out just fine, but the small plastic case will easily slip into a pocket while detailing. I did have to kind of smooth out the top because it sank just a tad as it cooled, but I really did that just so it would look better in the picture. Now if we get another nice day before too long I`ll throw a coat of 885 on one of our daily drivers using my new Collinite Speed Stick Wax.

I do suspect that the plastic deodorant case might not be quite air tight so I`ll store it in a Zip-Lock bag to make sure it doesn`t dry out.

Caution: If you do this while your family is home you`ll get a lot of comments like, "what the heck are you doing", "what is that smell", and "are you trying to blow up the house?"

I was inspired, in part, by Chris Pace (eShine) who started the wax melting movement back with this thread almost two years ago:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...-carnauba.html

For those of you concerned with `blowing yourself up` by melting wax, here is another thread by eShine on that subject:

http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...ow-you-up.html

This idea is probably going to make some entrepreneur about a gazillion dollars, but remember you read about it here first!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m absolutely going to steal this idea. Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was doing it with the old fashioned Simoniz in 1992. Worked perfect. Similarly, if you`ll put a pre-softened paste like DG paste into a Gillette gel stick, it will work also good. I did it with SCJohnson Auto Pudding.

Some/same ideas always come back...

Post Thanks / Like
    lol awesome stuff!
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    cool idea!!!

Bence im addicted to 1000P!!!
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    You should`ve patented it :lol

great idea! Just don`t think I have the dedication for it, however

TheDetailingHandBook.com Mikeyc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea! Never let `em see you sweat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dammit I have those sticks in stock waiting to be filled, thought I was going to be first on market with them. So much easier we`ve found to use them to put wax on applicators and guarantees you use the entire amount of wax. I even have invoices for sticks to prove it! Glad to see someone put this idea to use as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does melting the wax mess with it physical properties?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an awesome idea!!! No more hand waxing for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33

+1.....does it?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the olde5 threads the waxes they melted still looked very good
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    While this is the first wax I have personally melted, I have yet to read where it has caused any problems. While you don`t hear about it as much recently, one product Scottwax currently uses is a melted blend of Pink Wax and Meg`s #16:

http://autopia.org/forum/825094-post4.html
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do melt it just be sure to use a double boiler. That`s just a big pot of water with a pot above it and that way it doesnt "cook" the other ingredients with the heat of a flame but rather the proper temperature of boiling water. The double boiler will get it to melting point once the water is boiling in about 15 minutes. Dont just use a pot on a stove, your heat is far from evenly distributed and it`s too much heat. Stir it while it heats up and just before pouring it back into a container. Let it cool at room temperature in an air-tight container for a day, and then cool it down for another day. You are then done.

You will be changing the way the manufacturer heats and mixes the product, so the properties will change, however if you use a double boiler it wont be anything over marginally noticeable, and who knows, might even improve.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think im going to do this it will save me from cutting around the rim of the can to get it out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information