Post Thanks / Like
    I know there is alot of info regarding this, but I want to take least abrasive method as possible (i would like there to be minimal clearcoat removal). My new car was detailed at the dealer and got some very, very light swirls (you need the right light and angle to see them). Are there certain products that can remove hairline swirls without using abrasives? Can someone assist me in the type of product that is best for this light application? What kind of application pads are reccomended? Thanks!

Do I need to clay my paint before I apply polish? Or is a simple wash sufficient?

The application of products will all be done by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW335i

Do I need to clay my paint before I apply polish? Or is a simple wash sufficient?

The application of products will all be done by hand.
    Definately clay the entire vehicle. Otherwise, you`ll be rubbing the contamination into the finish more and creating additional swirling. Try a product especially designed for this type of "swirl removal" application.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can`t actually remove swirls without the use of abrasives. You can fill them with glazes or filler-laden LSP`s, but the effect is only temporary and the damage will still be there and reappear with wear. If the swirling is truly minimal, proper leveling with abrasive polishes will fix the problem without removing a significant amount of clear. If you`re not comfortable doing that yourself, I`d recommend seeking out a good detailer in your area to do it for you. People here might be able to suggest detailers in your area if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW335i: It`s tough to remove swirls by hand alone. Typically, machine polishing is going to give you the best results.

Here`s an example. I detail late model BMW`s for a reseller and the one pictured had light swirls from a previous detailer. It didn`t look too bad in certain lights, but this pic shows the light scratches.

Before pic of 540i

After Pic with machine polishing + DACP + AIO

As far as using clay bar: check the surface of your car (primarily the hood, trunk, roof) with your hand on a clean, washed vehicle. If you feel light "grit", it needs clay. Otherwise, you can skip this step.

As Firegate pointed out: you might be better off looking for a qualified detailer in your area.

Totoland Mach
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Thread Information