Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: ONR Rules!

Post Thanks / Like
    Background: I have a good LSP in layers with AIO and KSG x3 (augmented with some homemade KSG glanz after the last few weekly washes).

I think I will go one step further for winter and top with Collinite 476 (ETA next week).

My gallon of ONR arrived from TOL yesterday so tonight after work I did a trial. I had decided on a slightly different approach than some have documented.

I mixed a gallon of ONR in a (one gallon) pump sprayer. I used 2 capfuls (1 oz.) instead of just one and filled with hot tap water. I filled my 5 gallon (rinse) pail with warm rinse water. I sprayed (top down) a panel at a time and using a very wet, but not sopping WW MF I wiped the panel down, then followed with a dry WW MF. I kept rinsing my wash/rinse towel as needed and when it seemed very dirt stained, I rotated in my drying towel and used a new towel for drying.

WOW! Dirt just melts off the vehicle and you really can feel how slick it feels (and I was very cautious about the slightest feel of grit across the paint. Even the rear (really ugly/dirty because of the dead air space of the Rendezvous rear end) cleaned/wiped off very nicely (although I sprayed it a bit heavier).

Slightly different than a wet wash, I did the tires/wheels last and even they came out looking really nice.

All said and done I spent about an hour. I used slightly less than half of that 1 gallon sprayer so I`m set/mixed to go next time. The Rondy looks every bit as good as after a wet wash and dry and I`ll have to ask come spring if I even want the soap & water mess in the driveway.

I`m impressed and sure would like to buy the fella that invented this stuff a beer or two!

I know the true test comes in the dead of winter. I live on a hill in the country on a state road in Central New York. To prevent accidents, they take really good care of my hill and that means a fair amount of SALT.

I plan to augment my ONR garage washes as necessary with the power of the coin-op. However, I`ll take my ONR filled sprayer and just use the rinse or the wax setting at the coin-op.

I`m pumped! :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah the stuff is very very good stuff
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it! Saves me a lot of time and it works awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do almost the same as you. Spray with a pesticide sprayer that has hot water and ONR and then go panel to panel with microfibers and warm water in a bucket with ONR. Works incredibly well. My only problem is sometimes I get a slight hazing because some of the panels sit a while with ONR on them before I can get to it.

ONR rules...like you, my foamgun might keep the cobwebs come spring. I don`t miss waterspotting!

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR by far is my favorite way to wash a car-very fast too, since I use the single bucket method.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and I didn`t notice this last night in the garage, but today in the sun I notice a real nice shine - a little extra bonus !

Post Thanks / Like
    I may stop using the pesticide sprayer presoak, because of the film left behind when not dried quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find that pre-treating dirty panels and/or bird crap with the ONR QD solution does wonders. There was bird crap on my car that I treated with the QD before washing and it just came right off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thesacrifice
    I may stop using the pesticide sprayer presoak, because of the film left behind when not dried quickly.
    What film?

Are you spraying the entire vehicle before you begin the rinse/wipe down?

I`m just spraying/cleaning a panel at a time.

In my case, the sprayer really just replaces a bucket mixed with ONR/water so I`m not double dipping between the wash and rinse water.

Some (Scottwax for instance) just use a single bucket method. I can see that this would work fine, but I think there may be some merit in the two bucket or sprayer/rinse bucket method if the vehicle is `really` dirty. (Like the two bucket conventional wash, or rinsing the sponge between bucket dips.) Just as there`s merit in swapping out towels as they become dirty.

I`m thinking that in the dead of winter I may fill my sprayer with ONR mix, drive to the coin-op, spray the whole vehicle with ONR, then use the coin-op on either rinse or wax to clean. I realize this kinda defeats the whole no rinse thing...but if it`s sub-zero, 10 minutes in the wash bay is better than an hour in the unheated garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I spray the entire vehicle and then attaack it one panel at a time. If I spray during the wash, I get overspray. Part of the problem is that my current microfibers suck at soaking up water (WW`s are on the way)

Post Thanks / Like
    I notice the film too. My wife has been driving the car lately (my baby!) and last night I noticed all this bird crap on it. The Horror!!! Her reaction was "Where did that come from?" How can you miss it? It`s all over the hood!!!

But I digress. So I break out the ONR mixed QD strength and do a quick removal. It was dark and I wasn`t worried about completely drying it off because I was going to wash this morning. I just wanted to get the bird bombs off. Anyway, I took the car out after that and when I was getting back in, I could see a film over where I had wiped the ONR.

Now it turns out that it`s going to rain all weekend, so I can`t wash the car!!! Tragedy!!!

Don`t get me wrong. I love ONR. You just have to make sure you completely dry it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thesacrifice
    Yes I spray the entire vehicle and then attaack it one panel at a time. If I spray during the wash, I get overspray. Part of the problem is that my current microfibers suck at soaking up water (WW`s are on the way)
    I think WW MF`s are best for ONR washes, although my final wipe is with a fluffy MF.

I think if you work top down overspray isn`t much of an issue...Spray the roof and wipe down. Spray the hood and wipe down followed by the trunk if you have one, then around the sides.

If there is any overspray, it is very minor.

Maybe you need to adjust the sprayer and/or work on yer aim! hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked
    I notice the film too. My wife has been driving the car lately (my baby!) and last night I noticed all this bird crap on it. The Horror!!! Her reaction was "Where did that come from?" How can you miss it? It`s all over the hood!!!

But I digress. So I break out the ONR mixed QD strength and do a quick removal. It was dark and I wasn`t worried about completely drying it off because I was going to wash this morning. I just wanted to get the bird bombs off. Anyway, I took the car out after that and when I was getting back in, I could see a film over where I had wiped the ONR.

Now it turns out that it`s going to rain all weekend, so I can`t wash the car!!! Tragedy!!!

Don`t get me wrong. I love ONR. You just have to make sure you completely dry it.
    I guess I can see how pooled product that dries on the paint would leave a film as all the water evaporates -

Post Thanks / Like
    Could those thst use ONR/QEW tell me if you would use it to clean a car that isn`t `filthy` but has dirt accumulation under the fenderwells.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information