Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the least abrasive polish, I have barely noticeable hairlines (not really swirls but looks more like hairline scratches on clearcoat) on my new car. It really takes a hard look to see them, would you guys even recommend bother trying to polish them out? Exactly how do polishes work? Thanks. My paint is Titanium Silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a conundrum

The point of a polish is to be abrasive and to remove defects by removing the damaged portion of the clear coat. You might be looking for a glaze which is a nearly non-abrasive polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d try some Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze, it has very mild abrasives that would help minimize the hairline scratches and may have a small amount of filling abilities.. You could also try a wax that has fillers to minimize the appearance of the scratches..I think NXT has some fillers...

Post Thanks / Like
    the term removing the scratch is too harsh. Especially when done by hand or PC... If anything any techinique before rotory polishing and you`re just rounding out the edge of the scratch making light a lot harder to reflect off and show the scratch....

Post Thanks / Like
    Vanilla Moose Wax or Super Resin Polish, maybe? Those two come to mind.
    She says it`s just a car, I say she`s just a girl, it`s not a hobby, it`s a way of living :ca

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Megs #9, Detailers Paradise Amigo, AIO

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want something that lasts a while, give Z5 a try. I`ve got some of those hairlines that you can only see in full sun at certain angles very close up to the car. From two feet you can`t see anything. Even the old Z5 seems to hide them. The new Z5 pro is supposed to be even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs #82 swirl free polish

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum Poli-Seal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joyriiide1113
    the term removing the scratch is too harsh. Especially when done by hand or PC... If anything any techinique before rotory polishing and you`re just rounding out the edge of the scratch making light a lot harder to reflect off and show the scratch....

I`ll respectfully disagree with the above...IMO you *can* remove defects with the PC/Cyclo/hand work. I do it on my Audis (very hard clear but I have to work by hand behind the doorhandles) and even with 15x magnification, the flaws are *gone*. It`s not like people without rotaries don`t get a marring free finish.

BMW335i- If you want to remove the flaws (as opposed to hiding them) I wouldn`t go *too* mild with the polish; you need something functionally abrasive enough to do the leveling of the paint. Some products that "contain abrasives" are so mild that they`re not *functionally* abrasive on automotive paint.

For your situation, I wouldn`t go any milder than Menzerna FPII or maybe 1Z MP (which might be *too* mild). The SRP will probably be functionally nonabrasive on your paint, it is on many that I use it on.

I sure wouldn`t worry about taking off too much clear, but rather about remarring the finish once you get it nice If remarring is a given, I`d use something like the 1z MP or the SRP and then apply a "heavy" wax and live with `em.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to suggest Menzerna FP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not forget the contribution of the PC pad you will be using.

If these blemishing are very, very small a polishing pad/PC combo with FPII, Z-PC (reducing polish), Optimum Compound or Polish (don`t let the name fool you, very mild polishes), P21S GEPC, Vanilla Moose, and Meg #80 should eliminated your problem and enhance the gloss of your paint.

Thread Information