Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a quick question: I seem to get very nice, tight, even beading on all vertical surfaces and as well as my hood. However, the roof and trunk lid have very irregular beading. There are beads that are very round and then there are some that are just huge, spills of water.

I have a 98 Accord which was polished and sealed with NXT at the beginning of July. It got two coats of NXT applied with a PC at that point. It got 2 more coats of NXT at the beginning of August. The paint feels pretty slick too still.

Also, the paint on all surfaces is in the same, fairly good condition. I`m wondering if it`s the angle at which the car is parked at. My car is parked pointed slightly downward towards the front of the car.

Any idea why I get such weird beading? Is it because the roof and trunk aren`t getting an adequate layer? My concern is that the uneven beading is a sign of inadequate coverage and therefore protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    That very well could be "one" indicator that the NXT is just about gone on those areas. Verticle surfaces aren`t usually exposed to the elements as much, so you tend to see more durability in those places. Since it has been a month since you last applied NXT it might be time for another application.

You can just put a quick coat on the trunk by hand and see how the beading looks and judge from that. Along with water beading you should also check how slick the surfaces of those areas feel compared to the rest of the car. Some LSP`s tend to initially bead water and then start to sheet, but I haven`t used NXT for a long time so I can`t recall how it behaves in that respect.

How long NXT will hold up will depend on where you live, how often the car is left outside, how often it is washed, etc. If you like NXT you might want to try their spray booster wax between full applications of NXT. The following thread has some good info from Mike Philips of Meg`s on using the NXT spray wax:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....hlight=booster
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s almost rare to have inconsitent beading. Seems like one og three things, Inconsistent surface, inconsistent application, inconsistent product.

You wouldn`t think so, but I`m wondering if maybe the surface in those areas had wax or something that prevented the NXT from making a good bond?

Post Thanks / Like
    i have never had this problem. something has removed the wax in areas OR inconsistant application is the most likely cause. IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m positive that the reason for your problem is that the wax is gone. Areas such as the hood, grille, trunk, bumpers, etc come into direct contact with the air friction that it encounters. With the dirt particles, rain, etc, the wax starts to deteriorate earlier than the areas (vertical panels) that come into indirect contact with the air during everyday driving.

I use Collinite and I also see the "symptoms" you speak of. All waxes are like this. If you want consistent beading, you might want to put more layers of wax on the areas that come into direct contact with the air. Otherwise, you can just leave the vertical panels alone and rewax the areas that have decreased beading.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the normal wear characteristics, the wax will weaken on the hood at first, because it gets the most thermal/mechanical abuse there. However, you can get abnormal beading when you use the windscreen washer. The wash can strip the wax off when it runs up to the roof and down to the trunklid. The small area behind the washer jets can be also influenced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the roof and trunk lid under a tree where you regularly park it? When it rains, all that crap from the tree will wash down on the car and kill the beading, at least until the next wash.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

CIXELSYD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    The wash can strip the wax off when it runs up to the roof and down to the trunklid. The small area behind the washer jets can be also influenced.

Precisely why I concoct my own windshield wash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockwurst

Care to share the secret? :secret
    Mike K
    I know just enough to get me in trouble!

`04 Toyota 4-Runner Sport EditionV8
    `06 Honda Accord LX Special Edition
    `50 Chevy Streetrod - Air Force Blues, 383, 500hp, 540lbft

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Are the roof and trunk lid under a tree where you regularly park it? When it rains, all that crap from the tree will wash down on the car and kill the beading, at least until the next wash.

I forgot to mention that the uneven beading was present from the first day after application and proper curing period.

FWIW, I don`t directly park under a tree. However, my neighbor does have giant trees next to my driveway where the car is parked. None of the tree is over the driveway but I get tons of pollen and other stuff blown onto the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    With the normal wear characteristics, the wax will weaken on the hood at first, because it gets the most thermal/mechanical abuse there.

What`s strange is that the hood has very nice even beading. As soon as all of this rain in NJ stops, I`ll try putting on another coat of NXT and see how it goes. I`ll make sure to apply a very good coat onto the trunk and roof first.

Very strange.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxxman
    My concern is that the uneven beading is a sign of inadequate coverage and therefore protection.

That would be my first thought, but rain water has a funny way of affecting an LSP`s beading. Was there any prep under the NXT`s initial coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxxman
    I forgot to mention that the uneven beading was present from the first day after application and proper curing period.

FWIW, I don`t directly park under a tree. However, my neighbor does have giant trees next to my driveway where the car is parked. None of the tree is over the driveway but I get tons of pollen and other stuff blown onto the car.

Could be stuff blowing on the car that isn`t hitting the hood. Another thing, has the front end been repainted? I used to have an Accord that was hit in the front end and the newer paint beaded better after I got the car fixed.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockwurst

I`d like to know your formula for your windshield wash also. I have regular windshield wash in my reservoir, but I only use it in the winter with snow and ice.

emaxxman, I guess I made a premature conclusion regarding your beading problems. My apologies... I shouldn`t be so sure of myself next time If the beading was already affected after the first day of waxing, I would then look in application methods, and types of applicators.

Scottwax (or anybody else), I have a question regarding the effects of parking under a tree. Does the "stuff" from the tree erode the wax, or just temporarily add a layer of dust/pollen onto the paint surface?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cannot believe someone mention this already. My car sits outside 24/7. Things I notice, at night, morning, or early evening when the condensation/dew starts to build on the car the first area covered in dew are the roof and trunk. THIS IS VERY CONSISTENT!! Only then there is a huge dew amount to where all three top surfaces have dew coverage. For what ever reason the roof and trunk dew up quickly and more so than the hood! Now think of it this way, the dew (moisture) builds up on dirt/grime...when water combines with the grime it has more chemical reaction then say dry dirt on the surface. This every night/morning dew on the more saturated surfaces (roof/trunk lid) degrades the wax/sealant more then the hood that doesnt get the same amount of moisture. This is the conclusion I have arrived to when waxes bead irregularly on top surfaces. This is also as clear as mud to everyone! LOL
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information