Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to a Big Lots near me yesterday (never knew there was one so close) to look at the detailing supplies there. Boy, is the stuff cheap there!

So I saw both the Meguiars Ultra Plush Wash Mitt and the Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt. I was curious as to which one is better, or at least what the advantages or disadvantages of each wash mitt are. I know that most people on the forum use wool mitts, but I did some researching on the Ultra Plush Wash Mitt and found that it`s synthetic, not real wool. I`ve learned that synthetic wool wash mitts cause swirls. Is that the case for these Meguiars Wash Mitts too?

As for the chenille wash mitt, do they shed a lot? They do seem softer than the wool mitt, but I`m not sure which one is better for the paint. Thanks for the advice and help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Chenille Mitt and it sheds a lot

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Megs chenille wash pad sheds a lot- I preferr the Viking MF washing mitt at autozone or Kmart

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. How about the wool wash mitt? Has anybody had problems with the synthetic wool scratching the paint? I heard the Turtle Wax`s "Wooltex" synthetic wash mitt had some scratching problems. That`s why I`m somewhat skeptical of Meguiars synthetic wool. It`s supposedly more durable, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Genuine sheepskin wool mitts are the way to go my friend.

I`ve tried all the other washing tools (MF cloths, MF wash sponges, MF mitts, deep chenille mitts, etc.) and a genuine wool sheepskin mitt has worked the best.

They may not be the most durable (6-12 months or so depending on quality/brand) but they are the best at getting your paint clean without any micro-marring/swirls IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have O`reileys near you they have Viking 100% cotton mitts.

or you can order SMarnold Snow white mitt from places just go to Smarnold.com

sheepskin you can order from sheepskin.com or a variety of other places.

mongo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hm... I`m still somewhat leaning towards the Meguiars Has anybody actually used the Ultra Plush wool wash mitt? I don`t want to spend too much money of wash mitts by ordering online. I was thinking of buying a wash mitt under $10. My other option would be the washmitts at Walmart, but I haven`t seen any being sold at my Walmart. As for Target, I only saw the MF Chenille Wash Mitt (with the yellow dangling things ) which I`m also worried of the shedding. So basically, I couldn`t find the wool mitts anywhere else...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, at my local Target they have a deal right now where you get:

A. 1 Supreme Shine MF towel

B. Ultra plush wool washmitt

C. Jug of GC soap

All sealed up for $8.99! Looked good so I didnt pass it up. Used that for the first wash on my new 4 Runner and it seems like a good mitt, esp for the price!

Post Thanks / Like
    GMZ, the wool washmitt you are talking about, is it the Vroom brand or Meguiars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    GMZ, the wool washmitt you are talking about, is it the Vroom brand or Meguiars?
    It is Meguiars. It was all in a little Meguiars package/promo deal, Megs MF supreme shine/Ultra plush wool mitt/gold class shampoo. Good deal if you have it in your area. Just needed something to hold me over until my zaino gets here tomorrow. I may keep using the mitt and MF though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I went back to Big Lots today and decided to try out the Ultra Plush Wash Mitt. I bought two, one for top area of vehicle, and one for bottom area. After I got home I did a CD test. Here are the tests I did:

1. Dry wash mitt, not washed. Took a dirty CD and quickly took a wipe on my T-shirt. Rubbed it back and forth with dry wash mitt, medium-high pressure. There were many scratches.

2. Same dry wash mitt and mildly dirty CD. Used little pressure. 5-6 visible scratches.

3. Dumped wash mitt and CD in liquid detergent solution. Rubbed with high pressure. ~10 scratches.

4. Washed wash mitt thoroughly and rinsed dirt particles off CD. Used both high and low pressure. No visible scratches.

So basically, these synthetic sheepskin wash mitts should work fine when I use my Meguiars GC car shampoo (even more lubricity) on my paint. The main reason I chose the Ultra Plush over the Chenille was because of the complaints of the shedding of chenille wash mitt. However, I have to say that the chenille wash mitt felt softer (and $1 cheaper). I got the Ultra Plush Wash Mitt for $3.99, which was why I was hesitant to buy other wash mitts if the Ultra Plush worked well, which seems to be the case.

Well, I guess I can`t give a review without pictures, so here you go:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used the Ultra Plush, the Chenille, and MF mitt from Meguiar`s. The chenille is okay, but sheds a lot, like everyone pointed out. And so far, I haven`t had any issues with the Ultra Plush or MF mitts. I use GC shampoo as well.

I also have a genuine sheepskin mitt that is almost ready to be used strictly for wheels, but has served me well.

I think my favorite mitt is the MF or the Ultra Plush, and I have 2 of each, I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`ve had these two mitts for, about, 7 months, and I have some complaints... I`ve been starting to get lots of marring. It was especially noticeable today because the sun was out. I got so frustrated because now the car is full of marring and it just looks horrible... I`m hoping to get some new wash mitts before I do a polishing on the car. I`ll probably look for cotton chenille or some kind of MF mitt instead.

From these pictures that I took a while ago, it definitely seems like the fibers have clumped up and are not as soft as before. So.. I guess this is proof of the fact that synthetic wash mitts do not perform well over time. I`ll try the CD test if I have the time again.

Post Thanks / Like
    mikebai1990,

the fibers on my Ultra Plush have really clumped up, not only does it not feel as soft or plush, it doesn`t clean well now.

Currently have switched to a chenille mitt, shreds for a few times, IMO, it`s no biggie, I find that it cleans better than the Ultra Plush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips. I`ll probably try to find from chenille mitts instead. I personally don`t mind shredding, as long as it doesn`t affect the performance of the mitt and doesn`t leave fibers on the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information