Post Thanks / Like
    At local auto parts stores such as Autozone, Pepboys, Advance Autoparts we buy new bottles or cans of waxes.

In case of some TurtleWax products, however, I do not expect to get a feeling of buying a new bottle or can.

At a local Autozone store, today, I turned the cap of Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Liquid Wax very gently expecting the familiar clicing sound.

You know the push and turn style caps. A properly closed cap should not open when it was merely turned without pressing. It should merely make clicking sound.

Surprisingly, however, that Turtle Wax Platinum liquid wax bottle cap opened by very gently turning without pressing. I did the same thing with the cap on the bottle behind. It opened. The cap on the bottle still behind opened too. The cap on the fourth bottle did not open making the clicking sound.

The caps on three bottles in a row on the shelf were not properly closed.

Whether this improper closing was done during manufacturing or by some customers at the shop, I do not know. Anyway, this makes me feel like avoiding this product.

With Meguiars liquid bottles, this cannot happen because the bottle neck is sealed at factory. Simply check whether the seal is not damaged. Then you have a feeling that you bought a new product. With some Turtle Wax bottles, however, you never know whether the cap was slightly open for months (or years) at the shelf, but you pay new product price and may waste your effort with deteriorated product.

Post Thanks / Like
    i always open/twist open bottle(s) before buying to check if there`s a safety seal, just to make sure that it`s brand new and hasn`t been open and tampered with...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imacarnut
    i always open/twist open bottle(s) before buying to check if there`s a safety seal, just to make sure that it`s brand new and hasn`t been open and tampered with...

I saw broken seal of a Shell Rotella 5W-40 Synthetic bottle at Walmart. I did not buy it.

I saw broken seal of a Zerex G-05Ă‚® Antifreeze/ Coolant bottle after buying it. I could easily replace it at Pepboys with receipt - they did not say "prove that it was not you who broke the seal -.

On TW liquid wax bottles, there is no seal at all. Furthermore, their shelf life is on the short side on the market: 1 ~ 2 years.

There is problem with some TW paste cans too. There were two TW platinum paste cans on the shelf in that Autozone store. In one, the sponge applicator was reversed (TW mark faces upward usually), in the other, the applicator was missing. On both, the caps could be opened with extremely gentle force. I had a feeling that they had been outgasing on the shelf.

A typical Meguiars paste wax can has paper cover which is difficult to open. Once opened, it is highly likely that it looks and feels somehow different or has small tear.

Thread Information