Post Thanks / Like
    When i want to clay, i wash my car, rinse, while my car is still wet I re-lather the area i`m working on then clay, while constantly lubing iwth a spray bottle of "fresh" car soap/water lube. Is there anything wrong with doing it that way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some will say no ,some will say yes . I`ve been claying while washing for years with no problems. People claim the car soap shorten`s the life of the clay maybe it does , I don`t see it . :buffing:
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    when you clay, are you worried about the soap drying up on the paint and waterspots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying after washing is fine when the paint is still wet. I find it to "feel" more safe than just using QD because it is easier to keep everything lubed well.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    On heavily contaminated car, i would wash, rinse, and clay (while keeping surface lubricated) before drying. Is that OK??

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was using mothers clay I mixed up a bottle of soap lube when I ran out of QD in the middle of a job. The clay started melting and disintegrating, getting all over my hands. It was a mess!
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

92 Dodge Stealth RT TT Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    I follow Zaino`s instructions of using a diluted soap mixture to lubricate the surface.. Should I be using a QD instead? I couldn`t see where the soap would hurt the process except for the occasional water spots but since another wash will be occuring soon there after I don`t see a problem arising. :nixweiss
    `05 Aspen / Gold STi

Our world is flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    i personally just wash, semi dry afap, then get a dedicated clay lube and spray a bigger section than I am going to clay, then spritz it once while claying the section....uses very little clay lube, and then I re-rinse the whole car again to remove the clay residue....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the way I do it. As posted previously it seems easier to keep well lubed. I have noticed that the cheapie Meguires clay seems to break down pretty fast. The Sonus clay I`ve been using recently doesn`t seem to be effected though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done the same method for years. I wash and rinse the car, then use a clay friendly soap with lots of suds as the lube and then clay the car. I soap a section of the car at a time and rinse after I have clayed. Meguiars soap works well as a lube, but Simple Green car wash soap turns the clay into mush!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve recently started using Meguiars GC shampoo to use as clay lube. Personally, the QD lubricant is too expensive to use as a lube for my situation. I haven`t found that the Meguiars GC has deteoriated the clay, although I do know that certain car wash shampoo do indeed have adverse effects on the clay.

Here`s a link that I had started a while ago asking the same exact question, it should help you:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....highlight=clay

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    I`ve recently started using Meguiars GC shampoo to use as clay lube. Personally, the QD lubricant is too expensive to use as a lube for my situation. I haven`t found that the Meguiars GC has deteoriated the clay, although I do know that certain car wash shampoo do indeed have adverse effects on the clay.

Here`s a link that I had started a while ago asking the same exact question, it should help you:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....highlight=clay

i guess i should have searched first. :doh lol. I`m using the blue clay magic and meguiars GC as well with no deteriation at all. Clay seems a bit softer versus straight out of the packages but it`s still not gooey or sticky.

Post Thanks / Like
    optimum no rinse 1 capful for half a gallon is my clay lube...a+

Thread Information