My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used regular Z5 over the past year on a dozen or so cars, and out of 2 different Z5 bottles. Some I went Z1 then Z5, some I used ZFX. I apply it very thin with the PC, about 1/2oz per car/layer. Sometimes it`s fairly cold out, sometimes it`s 80*F or so. Anyway, most times it is very hard to remove, similar to KSG. I have to use Z6 to fully remove it. Do any others have this problem? Is Z5pro less prone to this? I have a hard time believing I`m doing something wrong, but it could be... :sadpace:

Most other sealants I put on in the same manner are a breeze to remove.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have experience with Z5PRO, but it wipes off *very* easily. :nixweiss
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I have occasionally had the same issue w/ Z5 & Z2 (non-pro versions). I have never been able to figure it out - sun, shade, hot, cold, thin, thick, humid, dry, ZFX, no-ZFX - every once in a while it`s just a bi*ch to get off.

Sometimes you just have to barely touch it to wipe it off, other times I feel like I have to scrub. I`ve done enough Z applications (probably gone through 8 bottles in the last three years) that I thought I would find a pattern as to what makes it difficult, but I never have. Probably one time out of 5, I get a difficult to remove situation. Havne`t had any problems with the Pro versions, but haven`t been using them too long either.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Some things I immediately thought of...

1) Is it harder to remove after you`ve used Z1, instead of ZFX? If so, keep in mind you are removing 2 products from the surface and it will need a little bit more dry time.

2) Are you applying it very very thin, especially with Z1+the sealant? Thick applications make drying time longer, can create smearing, and is usually just harder to buff off.

3) What kinds of buffing towels are you using? I`ve used high quality cotton and MF, and both removed the Z with no problems. Are the towels clean, and not loaded with any type of product?

3) Humidity can affect removal effort.

4) Colder temps can affect drying, making removal a little tougher, but not KSG serious.

I never have had much of a problem with Z buffing and removal, except when I applied it a bit too thick or the weather was creating uncontrollable problems.

Mike
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not seen a pattern either, it happens in all weather conditions. I does not smear like it`s not cured, it just sticks like cement. You wipe a MF over it lightly and nothing happens, I need a MF and QD to make a dent in it. Like I said I only use about 1/2 oz per car, so I don`t think it is too thick. Just using the zfx with z5 was difficult, let alone using z1.

I may try the pro version at some point but I have just about given up on regular z5.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using a slightly dampened MF to remove it. Believe me, it makes a world of difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure that does help. If it is needed though, I`d rather use other products. I guess I`m just trying to determine if what I am seeing is normal. Sounds like "yes"

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think the humidity might be a problem? Usually when it is really humid in my garage, it makes removing anything, especially KSG worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard anyone applying Z5 via PC..... maybe thats the problem?
    Proud to be... :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    the first coat for me is always more difficult to get off, but anything after that is a breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did z5/zfx 3x this last week, the third coat was as difficult as the first. I know humdity makes it worse, but even in winter (40F) it was difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    wifehates: I always had a slight removal problem with the Pre-Pro Z`s. The new ones, especially Z5 Pro are cake to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Sounds like I should try Z5 pro then if it`s a big difference.

Thread Information