Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I need a range of pads to go with my fairly new pc 7424 (besides the extra PC pads I purchased). (I`m looking to polish my wife`s car that has swirl and scuff marks - but also want to have combos on hand for other vehicles as well (e.g. got some slight car wash brush marks on my hood and Mother-in-laws car needs a fine polish & finish.

I think I can use the PC pads I ordered for final finish, but think I need more cutting like orange and blue or green for swirls, scuffs and mars...?

For pads: Lake Country, Sonus or ???

For Polish: I was thinking of Optimum ??? Or should I be looking at Menserna or Sonus ???

Is Optimum polish enough, or should I also get compound (always using less aggressive first)?

Opinions appreciated.

Advance Thank-you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using a PC for a few years now and here`s my take...

Honestly on the PC I still perfer the Megs pads over all others... However you can`t use them at Speed 6 or the pads will delaminate. However I have some EDGE 2000 Pads coming and they look great.. We shall see how they work out.

As for Polishes, The sample I got of Optimum Polish appears to be the best polish I have ever used... You don`t need much of it to do an entire car either... My best advice would be, Try it on a Polishing Pad first.. If it corrects then great.. If not bump it up to a light cutting and see if that fixes it. If it doesn`t then I would move up to the Compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    The edge 2000 pads look interesting. Looking forward to hearing how they work for you, Nick.

I`ve been using Sonus and Wolfgang pads so far. They work well, but I`m always interested in trying something new.

For polishes, I`ve tried Sonus, Poorboys and Menzerna. Of those three, I`ve had the best results with the Poorboys line.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will defintely let you know how they work out! By the way nice looking Rotty, I have a 2 year old myself and had two that previous ones that just died about a couple years ago at age 11. Awesome Dogs!

Here`s my Experience with the SSR line. I have a 92 LX that`s a garage queen, never see`s rain and rarely needs to be washed but had some good defects in the hood from a poor paint job on an aftermarket hood...

I did a little test on my hood which needs to be repainted soon using SSR 2.5. I went over it Twice using a LC Orange Cutting Pad I had laying around with the PC at about 5.5. It looked fantastic I couldn`t see any noticeable defects so I left it with no wax or sealants on the hood. The car did not move except for being backed in and out of the garage occassionally to work on other vehicles. I left it like that for nearly 2 months. I came out one night and decided to finally inspect the hood, I took some Stoners Invisible Glass Cleaner and #34 and wiped the hood down. I was rather suprised to see the defects I thought I had removed looked like they were still there! I wiped it down one more time again using a mix of the two on a clean microfiber and found the defects were still there mearly just covered up. So my point in case now is, I believe SSR 2.5 has some good ability to cover up problems... I used to be an avid user of the product but I was noticing some of my friend`s cars I had done the same defects I could remembering removing were not actually gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeysdad
    Okay, I need a range of pads to go with my fairly new pc 7424 (besides the extra PC pads I purchased). (I`m looking to polish my wife`s car that has swirl and scuff marks - but also want to have combos on hand for other vehicles as well (e.g. got some slight car wash brush marks on my hood and Mother-in-laws car needs a fine polish & finish.

I think I can use the PC pads I ordered for final finish, but think I need more cutting like orange and blue or green for swirls, scuffs and mars...?

For pads: Lake Country, Sonus or ???

For Polish: I was thinking of Optimum ??? Or should I be looking at Menserna or Sonus ???

Is Optimum polish enough, or should I also get compound (always using less aggressive first)?

Opinions appreciated.

Advance Thank-you.

For the PC I have used Sonus, LC, and Propel ... any and all work fine IMO.

Yes, you will need green(Sonus and Propel)/white(LC) for light swirls, orange for anything more than light swirls.

Optimum Polish works well as a final polish, but not aggressive enough for correction. For swirls you will need something more aggressive, such as #83, SSR2.5, OHC, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be leaning in the direction of Meguiars pads.

Seems like few places carry OHC - when the have OC and OP - wonder why?

Thread Information