Post Thanks / Like
    i just received my first today....bought one from excel detail - the one shaped like a hand

initial thoughts:

soft

wont scratch or mar

nicely shaped and comfortable to hold

initial use:

I dipped it into the wash bucket and the thing sucked to my hand like a suction cup....ok cool it will make it easier to hold onto inside the hand...while washing, it held a lot of water/soap....so much so that I was able to was one panel, then go back over it with the other side of the mitt because it helded solution still....

only thing I didnt like about it was that while it was really good for light dust situations, it did almost nothing for caked on dirt! I had to release my hand from the mitt and scrubb with my hand for a little bit to break it up then hit it with the mitt to clean the area

so....my thoughts on sheepskin - only for light dirt/dusty cars, not for the dirty ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the pressure from the hose not enough to break off the crude??
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    no it wasnt...I wasnt trying to beat it off with the hose though this time as I wanted to see what the mitt could/would do...had i used a pressure washer, sure it would have come off easier, but I was testing the mitt itself

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used only a sheepskin and it CAN have a hard time on some really caked on stuff. However, i`ve always had that problem.

No need to scrub though. Don`t want marring! I would go over the surface two times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just go over it a couple of times and it will fall off. Better yet, pre-treat it with wash soap and water before cleaning it.

Post Thanks / Like
    i used mine last night, for the first time. i got the one recommended from wal-mart for $5. worked great. i wash my car every week so it wasn`t really dirty. i used to use the viking mf mit and this by far surpasses it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure a sponge is any better for "baked on" crud? All I`ve found happens is that the sponge tends to tear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sheepskin washmits are gentle to the surface, therefore should be used in the same fashion. Dont expect any sheepskin you buy from anyone, to behave like a sponge.........
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    dont get me wrong, I wasnt trying to say the excel one is terrible, just that all sheepskins have a limit to what they can remove....mainly just light dust and dirt, not caked on substances....

Post Thanks / Like
    also they are a PIA to dry as they are never dry on the inside when the outside feels dry. Ive taken to letting mine air dry and then using a hair dryer to get the inside good so no mold accumulates.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use them, rinse them, ring `em out, and hang `em over a bucket till next time.

Why do people feel like you have to baby these things?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we talking mud? Like from off-roading? Or just heavy road grime? Because I`ve used sheepskin on everything short of caked on mud, and everything has always come off after going over a surface a couple of times with the mitt. Never had a problem with stuff not coming off, and never had to really scrub. :nixweiss
    2008 Subaru Outback - Obsidian Black Pearl

1997 Acura Integra - Adriatic Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    I just use them, rinse them, ring `em out, and hang `em over a bucket till next time.

Why do people feel like you have to baby these things?

Heh heh, yeah, I agree. My negelectful treatment of my mitts borders on abuse, but after more than a year they`re still just fine.

And yeah... this talk of "caked on dirt" sorta :soscared: me, I assume we`re talking about offroading or something like that...I`d pretreat with a foamgun and use a foamgun/BHB combo for jobs like that. Only way I can imagine avoiding the marring.

Thread Information