Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw an infomercial on the Turtle Wax Ice Synethic Polish and they state that this wax can be used on the trim as a restorer and protectant even on "textured" trim! I have used different trim products in the past but most of them are gone after a few washes or rain, so i am wondering if using a polymer sealant like ICE, if it would last longer then dedicated trim products. My wifes CRV has alot of trim and I am looking for something that will protect the trim and last so i don`t have to apply it every wash.

1) Has anyone used the ICE on their trim with good results? Does it last through rain and washes?

2) Are there other wax/sealant type products out there that can be use one textured trim that would last longer then either the ICE and other dedicated trim products?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had great results using ICE on my stained trim (daily beater Suzuki Vitara). It seems to last quite a while before I need another application.

Usually, I wash/dry car, then apply Ice to trim. I go about applying products to the paint and buff the trim at the same time as I buff the painted area next to it. Quick and easy.

Overall, Ice doesn`t have durability on the painted surfaces, but does work well on the trim.

Totoland Mach
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a CR-V as well and had been doing trim maintenance with TR, but decided to give ICE a try. Easy on/off, low gloss satin finish and about 8 weeks durability in weather ranging from hot sun to lots of rain. No browning (some have had concerns about Silicone content). Weather exposure of up to 2 hours at a time.....my V lives in a garage and covered parking when at work.....so durability may be less for those whose cars are outside and exposed to the elements for large periods of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replys. 8 weeks seems real good and thats what i am looking for so i don`t have to apply to the trim every wash. Most trim products I have tried have to be reapplied every wash or two. Figured a sealant type product like ICE would probably provide a longer protection. I won`t be using it on the paint, but so far seems like a good trim product alternative. My wifes CRV is garaged also and covered at work. I also like a satin finish on the trim, not a fan of very glossy trim, just a clean and protected look. Didn`t even think about the silicone thing and it effects, but glad to hear it has not been a problem and no browing occurs.

Anyone else have an opnion on ICE as a textured trim protectant or any other product that can be used that will be as durable or more! Thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it on my black plastic trim as well, so far it`s been on for about a month and it still beads and looks good. It`s been through a lot of rain, and a couple washed. So far so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    my Xterra is about 50% trim - should you apply a trim dressing before the Ice?? I like the look of my megs vinly & rubber dressing (matte/satin) but doesn`t hold up much to weather tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Great -- now you guys talked me into buying another product. I`ve never thought of trying this stuff -- but it sounds like it will work well on roof racks, etc. I typically use Stoner Trim Shine for exterior plastics, but of course the overspray is messy. I might have to pick Ice up if my Costco still has some. I think it was down to $14.99 for the Kit: Polish, Detailer, and some MF cloth/or applicator. That`s not a bad price.

Post Thanks / Like
    :chuckle: I have too many random products myself....

Post Thanks / Like
    +1

ICE is a really good trim sealant. Cleans and protects and for some reason... it lasts too! For "restoration" purposes, you`re going to need about three applications. That`s how much it took for me to get my dad`s Civic`s trim looking like it used to but that`s the thing with ICE on trim, it doesn`t have that "glossier than factory" look. It`s a tad shinier than factory spec but it`s more of a really reflective matte in that, a lot of light will reflect but in a defused manner.

Post Thanks / Like
    id have to agree TW Ice does work extreemly well on trim and rubber.
    down here in colorful colorado!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a can of this stuff that i bought before i discovered high-end boutique products, i had no idea what to do with my TW ice polish...tried it on my trim the other day, and I LOVE the way it looks. It makes the trim look like its wet and new. And a little bit goes a long way with TW ice polish $15 well spent in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it works, great!

But, you might also want to try Aquawax...it`s good on every exterior surface, including glass. I finally broke down and bought a gallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve used TW ice on some of plastic trim, and whilst it leaves a glossy finish (if thats the finish your after), i found it didn`t last too long

its no where near as long lasting as a dedicated trim restorer such as mother`s back to black

but for the quick touchups, it works a treat

Post Thanks / Like
    No browning (some have had concerns about Silicone content)
    Didn`t even think about the silicone thing and it effects, but glad to hear it has not been a problem and no browing occurs.

Silicone doesn`t cause browning...the type of carrier the silicone is in is the culprit. Silicone is inert.

Water-based silicone products have no negative effect on plastic/rubber. They`re typically milky in appearance.

Petroleum Distillate (PD) based silicones are the problem. They`re typically clear in appearance.

TW ice is a PD-based silicone product so I`d be careful. PDs cause browning to rubber and drying/cracking to plastic. Remember the problems of dash cracking when Armorall gained a bad reputation? It was a clear product; it was the PDs not the silicone that created the problem and, unfairly, gave silicone a bad name. The current (milky) Armorall is a pretty good product.

Just be careful with Ice on trim, that`s all. Don`t look for browning, look for cracking.

Rob G
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found that ICE lasted about as long as Back to Black for trim appearance. ICE did continue to bead for a long time after the shine went away though.

The big surprise I found with ICE on trim was that it cleaned the polish, cleaner and wax splatter off the trim quite well.

I now use DG products instead of ICE - better durability, lower cost.

RG

Thread Information