Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering what part slickness plays in a LSP ...does it add protection...does it add durabilty..or is just a sensory euphoria..

if you had 2 products side by side on a hood...both slick at first..both beading the same...now 3 weeks later one is not slick..but beading very good..and the other is sorta slick and beading good..not as good as the non slick product..what part is the slickness playing the product...

do not get me wrong..I like slick...but trying to understand it`s advantages..and the role it plays in the protection area of a LSP...or is it just a sensory thing...

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest advantage is that it would not allow debris to stick as easily to the surface and embed itself. Its also nice to caress your paint before bedtime lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, primarly advantage is that dirt doesn`t stick as much, and secondarily, the wash media can glide over the surface a little easier. I use UPP on the S8 just for this slickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    now the LSP that is not slick is beading better...so shows a little more protection...will that not stop stuff from embedding in the paint...or is the slick acting like some sort of protection also..if so why is it not beading the same as the other..this is all hypothetical here..just trying to get a understanding...

the makeup of a LSP is made to adhere to the paint to be a sacrificial barrier which in part is suppose to take the beating and resist contaminant invasion of the paint...so does the slickness add a barrier also...when washed both come clean the same... with same amount of dirt...

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO slickness is overrated. Does a slick product keep road tar from sticking? From what I`ve read the slickness can be due to what ingredients are used. Oily products will be slick-but for how long? A soft resin might not be as slick as a harder acryllic. QD`s can be used to retain slickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like SLICK for all the above reasons (bugs/debris) as long as it`s silicone and oil free (body-shop safe) I also like it when that same product Sheets water rather than beads - beads dry as dust spots after a rainshower or morning dew - whereas rain sheeting/falling off the paint evaporates easier. What gives results like this? (Z, MenZ, FK1, DuraGloss) ???

Post Thanks / Like
    well Piniti..what causes the slickness...I was told it was amino functioninal silicones...siloxanes...thats why it feels like a million ball bearings...and also with sheeting if you have flat areas..where it sheets..but can not roll off..it creates a large water spot when dries...

actually only products I know that sheet water more or less is Megs..like 21..20..or even NXT..and a griots product I had...thier sealant...was a great product..but they changed it and it is ok now..not like it was...

now will the sufuracants and suffacants of the shampoo neglate the slickness of a LSP as the shampoo have slick enducers also...as in Lube...will one over power the other...

I am trying to understand where this all falls in place ..not to be a pain..education is free so I grab it when I can...

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    I find Natty blue to not be very slick but it beads up very well for a good period of time.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    many car washes are formulated to sheet water- so beading can be affected. In most cases the next time it rains the car is beading again.

Post Thanks / Like
    For someone like me who is off road so much and lives on a dirt/gravel road on top of a mountain "slick" is nice! Makes cleaning a whole lot easier and really helps keep the mud and dirt from clinging . Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    Does a slick product keep road tar from sticking? From what I`ve read the slickness can be due to what ingredients are used. Oily products will be slick-but for how long?

I was thinking about this thread while washing some of our vehicles today...

Yeah, very slick LSPs like UPP *do* keep road tar from sticking as tenaciously.

While the slickness of products like UPP drops off, I don`t mind redoing it as needed as these sort of products are generally very easy to use (and I like the look ).

I also appreciate the slickness from products like UGE and FK 425 (just used the latter on two vehicles) but it`s not the same as a fresh coat of a slick LSP. And this QD-slickness *does* wash off, it`s gone by the time you`re finished washing and you`re left with whatever the LSP has to offer.

And slick LSPs make for much easier drying (at least the way I do it). The AirWand gets almost all the water off the slick LSPs, less off "regular" LSPs, and isn`t worth using on LSPs/finishes that lack slickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that slickness is the result of quality wax and a very level surface. An important third factor is how good the paint is in quality. Slickness will reveal wetness in a good paint job on a level surface but conversely it is hard to cover up sloppy paint.

Slickness helps deter dirt buildup in my experience and I agree it makes for easier drying. It also makes for easy washing. Dirt just rolls off a good sealant for instance.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Yep, primarly advantage is that dirt doesn`t stick as much, and secondarily, the wash media can glide over the surface a little easier. I use UPP on the S8 just for this slickness.

Me too, UPPx2 works really well on the VWs, looke great and is easy to clean. I`ve been using 425 as a QD on top...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmac
    I`ve been using 425 as a QD on top [of UPP]...

I`m still using my UGE on it, but one of these days I know I`ll use the FK 425, which sure works well on everything else I`ve tried it on.

Thread Information