Post Thanks / Like
    Ive started my own buisness and recently, have noticed how many times a steam cleaner would come in handy, but is it really worth it? I mean I guess I could do the whole interior including plastic and leather, also the engine bay would be made easier.

So...if I decided to get one, which would be the way to go. Im thinking a very powerful one, to remove grime and such. 60 PSI sound good?

Okay, well which one to buy?

If enough positive feedback, Im looking to spend 150-200 dollars...now let her rip!

Post Thanks / Like
    hrrm? :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a "cheapie" from Costco and I like it. I certainly see it being a useful tool to have in your arsenal.

Sorry I don`t have any specifics or models of what you are looking for though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats cool, thanks for the info though :woot:

Im pretty sure a 60 PSI would be the way to go...but what brand and model number seems to be my problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are a professional and want professional results and reliability, $200 is not going to cut it. A quality steamer will run you $500 minimum. A steamer is not necessary to get professional results, however, it would help in certain situations. I get by just fine with out having a steamer. Some may disagree here, but a good carpet extractor is more a necessity than a steamer.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent $1200. It was probably the single "least productive" investment I`ve made, followed by the Dynabrade converstion head for $100.

Most of the time (if not all the time) I can clean better and faster with alternative method - on carpets, a hot water extractor beats the pants of it, for leather seats...my custom-made brush and a good cleaner clearly gets more dirt out (same goes for vinyl, and other plastic). I suppose it would be good for cloth seats and carpets if you live in an area where drying/mold is an issue, but I don`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not a pro by any means, Im just detailing cars on the weekends. I thought a steamer would be good for cleaning out ash trays and plastics with gummy crap all over them

Any more feedback?

Post Thanks / Like
    A good APC dilluted correctly will tackle tasks such as the one`s you mentioned. Even if you are not a pro, a cheap steamer will not work very well.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    A good APC dilluted correctly will tackle tasks such as the one`s you mentioned. Even if you are not a pro, a cheap steamer will not work very well.
    Maybe I willl have to pass on the "experience"

:hifive:

Edit: still looking for some good reviews on steamers, even though I do appreciate the experienced users opinion :woohoo:

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a shark steam cleaner from my local hardware store here in town. I find it does a great job. Especially around coffee holders and crevises, etc... I use mine almost everytime I detail. It has many different uses and for 200 bucks why not. :grinno: just make sure when you turn it on for the first shot of steam its not inside a vehicle because there is a fair amount of water that sprays first.

Best of luck

Larry
    Spitshined Detailing :ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmom3
    Maybe I willl have to pass on the "experience"

Edit: still looking for some good reviews on steamers, even though I do appreciate the experienced users opinion

I`ve suggested this before, but I`ll toss it up again in case you missed it. Get on the Harbor Freight mailing list. Wait for a 20% coupon in your email, and a flyer in the snail mail where the "McCulloch" steamer is on sale for $90. Then buy it with the 20% off coupon. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8823

This is a reasonably good quality high-end consumer-grade product. It runs at about 35 PSI (ignore the 185 deg F comment in their catalog, it`s not correct), so it`s not as hot as the 60PSI units, but even so, it still demands its own 15A branch circuit. I have one, purchased as I recommended above, and I`m very pleased with it. It generates enough power for heavy grease deposits and cutting through gum on carpeting. It`s also great with mold, like on the edge of refrigerator gaskets. I`ve used it to clean mold off A/C evaporators in window units and in cars. It`s the best $75 I`ve ever spent. You will like it too and it won`t drain your checking account.

Edit: One more thing -- unless you have very soft water (not artificially softened) you will need to use distilled water in a steamer. The minerals in hard water or water-softener water will coat the tank and risk burning out the element.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a comercial steamer and here are my opinions.

When I first got my steamer I was a little dissapointed. I expected miracles and thought it would significantly cut my detail time in half and alow me to walk on water :soscared: . After the initial letdown I came to realize it was an effective, but just another tool in my detail arsenal. It does nothing that a brush and cleaner cannot do with effort.

For engine detailing, mild build-up, it works like a charm to blast grease and dirt from areas not easily accessable with a detail tool (note you must have a high psi steamer for this to work well). There is also no need to cover up electrical components because you can avoid getting them wet (precision steam tip and moisture evaporates quickly).

On the exterior, getting built-up dirt in all the little nooks and crannies that you would normally get with a q-tip can easily be blasted clean. (ie: wax build-up around the emblems and around trim) When I bought my steamer I was real curious about removing brake dust easily from rims........ Forget it. It is effective, but only on very small portions of the rim at a time. Think of cleaning your rims with a toothbrush vs a rim brush. This also goes to the idea of washing a car with steam, too large an area.

Benefits on the interior: great at cleaning glass w/ the right attachment. Leather seats can be cleanned very nicely because the steam can get into and loosen dirt in the seams as well as blasting the dirt out w/o leaving excessive moisture behind. Carpets......It does work ok but only in conjunction w/ a cleanning solution. Cleaning the difficult to reach areas around the door hinges are also effective with minimal effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    never used a steamer but i prefer a good swab and pick kit for crevices and around cupholders and whatnot, with the use of a good apc. i dont know if a steamer would make quicker work but maybe im a little old school.

Thread Information