Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`d taken a break from detailing for a while since I just had a baby girl but I`m finally getting used to the dad thing and am starting my detailing back up again.

So I`ve been trying out a bunch of new products but haven`t really found anything exciting until now. It`s the AJ: Trigger (AJT) and Prime Strong (PS) many of you are familiar with by now. To test, I applied it on my own cars (04 Acura TL Silver, 06 Mazda 3s GT Strato Blue Mica.) I`ll be ditching 3/4 of my products for this combo.

Anyway, the review.... (pics are below in the Results section, photos straight from camera, no editing except to reduce to 1024)

-- PACKAGING --

I really like the shorter 500ml bottles that all the Werkstatt products come in. It`s a little thing but I notice. For some reason, I find them easier to handle than the taller skinner 16oz bottles. Bottles are attracively clear PETE and I`ll probably buy a bunch of empties since most of my products are bulk. IMHO, overall design is a step up from most products.

-- PRODUCTS --

PS is slightly brownish grey in appearance and close to AIO in consistency (i.e. fairly runny.) For that matter, it smells just like AIO (in an unattractive but oddly comfortable way.) A little goes a very long way. I used 18ml (a little more than 0.5 oz) and that was more than I had to (more on that later.)

AJT is a white sprayable product that has the consistency of something like PB`s BnB. Little to no smell. Basically, slightly viscous milk. Mmm...

-- APPLICATION --

I worked PS like I`ve worked AIO in the past. LC White (polishing) on 4. I used more than I usually do because I purposely over-applied in some areas to see what removal would be like. Like AIO, it`s not overly easy or hard to remove. I typically use mf bonnets on large horizontal and vertical surfaces and then hand remove the rest. On the over-applied areas, it took a little extra work but you can also use a slight spritz of Acrylic Glos to loosen it up.

PS does haze up and dust quite a bit though. The MF bonnets tended to load up so I used 3 on the car. Also, it`s very noticeable if you get it on trim. As long as you don`t leave it on the trim, it should remove just fine.

AJT, on the other hand, was *supremely* easy to apply and remove. Spray a small spritz on a panel. I used an MF applicator (the kind you can tuck your fingers into) to spread it evenly. Wait for it to haze and remove. Very easy. Like working with OCW. We`re talking QD easy. I used about 15ml for the entire car.

-- RESULTS --

PS is an excellent chemical cleaner. After a wash and a 50/50 IPA wipe, it still cleaned a lot off the paint. I can`t attest to durability as I don`t tend to do many one steps. I`m strictly using PS as an acrylic base for AJT. As for slickness, it was pretty slick but nothing spectacular. Better than AIO (which isn`t saying much) but nowhere near as slick as say VM.

Optically, PS is very clear and glassy. I can defnitely see why some would use this as a one step. I think this would also be a good base for any sealant when you want some good durability. Basically, use in any situation where you might use AIO.

AJT - wow... The only product I`ve seen that looked like this was Z... and Z looks thinner than AJT. AJT just gives you a highly reflective, clear look with decent depth. It`s just an amazing look on silver. Glassy is what comes to mind.

AJT on my blue Mazda 3 was also amazing... but not exactly the right look for me. I like my darker colors to be more subdued and wetter looking. AJT won`t darken the paint at all and it will show any little flaw you have. It`s still a great look on dark colors but my personal preference is a watter, deeper look (my favorites are still the venerable Souveran and the more wallet friendly Trade Secret naubas.)

Note: Please ignore the front and back windows... they hadn`t been wiped down yet as of the pictures.

AJT`s slickness wasn`t great immediately after removal but after curing for 3-4 hours, it really started to get slick. I`d say a hair less slick than UPP but defnitely right up there with the best of them.

-- CONCLUSIONS --

This is the first product I`ve been truly excited about in the last couple of years. it`s just exactly the right look for metallics, IMHO. If durability is as good as it`s claimed to be (and no reason to think it won`t since it`s an acrylic formula), this will be my go-to for just about everything.

THE GOOD: Amazing reflective, glassy, bright appearance. Super slick. Easy on/off.

THE BAD: Can`t buy sizes larger than 500ml. Neither smell all that good. Low stock at times.

THE UGLY: None
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    04 ACURA TL SSM/Ebony/Navi
    PICS!! http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html

Post Thanks / Like
    nice review. Glad you got good results from werkstatt process. I personally don`t use them as its too hard to remove if the slightest amount gets put on too thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent review. I concur expect for one point. "I" found that AJ, not Trigger, does darken the paint`s hue slightly. Similiar to Klasse SG. Not a bad thing mind you. Maybe AJ Trigger is different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler
    nice review. Glad you got good results from werkstatt process. I personally don`t use them as its too hard to remove if the slightest amount gets put on too thick.

I hear ya. Since I use the PC to apply on most of the surface, I don`t typically get it on too thick. And Prime is the only product of theirs that is even the least bit hard to remove. Everything else is easy on/off.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    mae, welcome back and congrats on the newest addition to your family.

I am admiring the gloss on your door - - i can read the license plate on the blue car, it`s that good!

I, too, am pleased with my Werkstatt experience. I think the best feature, so far, is how good the cars look even when they are dirty. it`s amazing to see the slickness and brightness of the finish following a week of driving and several days of rain. I haven`t seen anything to compare and stuff like this is worth its weight in gold!

take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s one purdy TL with some nice reflections and a very thorough review.

Any experience with how the Trigger reacts to dust/water spotting after a short rain followed by bright sunshine? I ask because I am now testing the new Blackfire sealant because it`s supposed to sheet more than some sealants. I was hoping to find something that was more resistant to my spotting problem mentioned above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another happy Werkstatt customer here. Still going strong after 5 weeks. The car looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reflections around the door handle are just outstanding! I`m glad I have this combo on hand and will be using it on a white Ridgeline that one of mine picked up. It`s already pretty clean but just needs a little extra. This is it!
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkZ28Conv
    Excellent review. I concur expect for one point. "I" found that AJ, not Trigger, does darken the paint`s hue slightly. Similiar to Klasse SG. Not a bad thing mind you. Maybe AJ Trigger is different?

You know, I`ve never tried AJ. Might be worth trying since I *do* like sealants that darken the darker colors. Werkstatt`s site does say that the formula for trigger is defnitely different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    mae, welcome back and congrats on the newest addition to your family.

I am admiring the gloss on your door - - i can read the license plate on the blue car, it`s that good!

I, too, am pleased with my Werkstatt experience. I think the best feature, so far, is how good the cars look even when they are dirty. it`s amazing to see the slickness and brightness of the finish following a week of driving and several days of rain. I haven`t seen anything to compare and stuff like this is worth its weight in gold!

take care.

Thanks!

I`m actually eager to see what it`s like after a good rain. Most products I try aren`t that great after a rain (EX-P and UPP being the exceptions.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. I just got the same exact products recently. Mae, have you considered topping AJ:T with a carnauba for a more wet-look?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maecrispy
    I hear ya. Since I use the PC to apply on most of the surface, I don`t typically get it on too thick. And Prime is the only product of theirs that is even the least bit hard to remove. Everything else is easy on/off.

If Prime is even slightly hard to remove, you either used too much or didn`t work it long enough. It should pretty much just disappear leaving very little visible residue to buff off. Once you spread it out, work it a few passes on 5 to clear it out. Removal should pretty much be effortless if you do that.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a chance to try this combo on two white cars this weekend, all I can say is wow.

My car is always the cleanest and has the most gloss at work, lots of really nice cars parked around mine too. But after using Prime strong on a PC finishing pad only then hand application of Trigger my car got more attention than ever before. It is so in, icredibly smooth and looks like SG but better, heck of a lot easier to work with too and I always had little problems with SG, Trigger is just easier, by a mile.

People felt the need to touch it for some reason, I had to stand there telling them to stop, its a car, what do you think it will feel like?

I had a minor problem with shipping ( Super fast at a very fair price) when one bottle partially opened. Within an hour Jeff emailed me, what a nice guy. He follwed up the next day and seems to really want feedback and make his product the best it can be.

All I can say is I love this product, I looked at the 40 or so products on my shelf today and had to laugh, easily 3 grand in detailing supplies, if the durability of Jeff`s products lives up to what I have read I cant see myself using anything else.

I put another coat on today, waiting to buff if off now, one car got caught in the rain and the beads were so tight it was amazing, then after the rain the car looks like I just washed it.

If your on the fence on this product I say Jump, its worth it. You think its expensive until you see how little you use. One bottle of Trigger should outlast my car, one bottle of prime might outlast the average marriage.

I have been burned jumping on the product of the week bandwagon, not here. This is the real deal.

What a great product, hats off to you Jeff...............

Post Thanks / Like
    chml17l: no experience with rain on it yet. Here in MI, I`m sure I`ll get a chance to see it in action real soon.

John S.: thanks John! I hope it turns out to have Klasse like durability. I`ve noticed that I tend to get less durability from products than many here on the forums state. I assume it`s the realtively harsh MI weather.

Bioman: no carnauba topper for me. I purposely tried this combo because I want a highly reflective, clear look. A carnauba would mute the metallic flakes in the paint, IMHO. I`ll probably try Carnuaba Jett and Prime: Carnauba on my Mazda 3 (dark blue)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    If Prime is even slightly hard to remove, you either used too much or didn`t work it long enough. It should pretty much just disappear leaving very little visible residue to buff off. Once you spread it out, work it a few passes on 5 to clear it out. Removal should pretty much be effortless if you do that.

Yeah, I know. In my review, I posted that I purposely over applied on some sections (as I do when I try out any new product) to see if removal is overly hard. It wasn`t. PS was no problem as it behaves very similarly to AIO which I have a lot of experience with.

My reply was to tumbler who said he didn`t use Werkstatt products becuase he found them hard to remove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information