Post Thanks / Like
    My goal is to protect the original factory paint on my `82 911 SC as best I can. I`m not so concerned about depth or shine (that`s still important but not #1) but I do want whatever I apply to the paint to last a long time and provide a lot of protection against the elements.

The car is a garage queen but I don`t wash it that often so it gets dirty and gets exposed to rain.

So, based on some threads that I read here a few months ago and after deciphering the acronyms, I went out and bought Menzerna Final Polish II and Ultimate Paint Protection. I applied the polish and 2 layers of UPP after a thorough wash.

Since then (3 months have passed), the car has been washed ONCE and has been rained on about 3-4 times. The rest of the time has been spent sitting in the garage or being driven in non-wet weather. Water still beads a little on the surface but it`s obvious whatever sealant was on there is nearly GONE and I am disappointed.

The question is, for the longest lasting protection what should I use?

What`s the consensus on UPP? Good? Doesn`t last as long as advertised?

What about Full Molecular Jacket? I read that it doesn`t last much longer than wax but Menzerna sure does promise a lot.

Do I get any additional protection putting a carnauba based wax on top of the UPP or is that just for shine? My experience with P21S was that it was gone after about 2 washes.

Should I put on more than 2 coats of UPP?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPP is not a particularly long lasting sealant. I`d highly reccomend Collinite, it looks great on SS finishes, and it lasts forever. Collinite also beads up really nicely, I`d reccomend their Insulator Wax. Alternatly, you could try FK2180, I like that too for longetivity, but the look isn`t as good as Collinite. Same goes for Zaino.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    You can`t beat acrylics

A coat of AIO, Prime acrylic or Acrylic Jacket, leave it on then apply Jeffs Acrylic jett, wipe on first coat then spray on the rest

Top with collinite marque de elegance or other collinite wax (2 to 4 coats) and you should be gold for 12 months plus more shine and depth
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember accumulator saying something to the effect of the guys at collinite are pretty candid about the fact that the marque is a waste of money. Use 476s/fleetwax or 845 Insulator Wax. 476/FW is the longest lasting, some people say 845IW looks better. I`m not sure about that but it is easier to apply.

Post Thanks / Like
    you say youve washed it once and now its beading very little...a semi dirty car wont bead from what ive seen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    UPP is not a particularly long lasting sealant. I`d highly reccomend Collinite, it looks great on SS finishes, and it lasts forever. Collinite also beads up really nicely, I`d reccomend their Insulator Wax. Alternatly, you could try FK2180, I like that too for longetivity, but the look isn`t as good as Collinite. Same goes for Zaino.

Wow, this sounds like serious stuff: "#845 Liquid Insulator Wax: This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions."

I try to keep the car away from explosions but it`s good to know you`re protected

Thanks for the recommendation!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use Meg. No. 21 Synthetic Sealant. Offers excellant protection.
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_911SC
    Wow, this sounds like serious stuff: "#845 Liquid Insulator Wax: This heavy duty liquid wax was originally developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions."

I try to keep the car away from explosions but it`s good to know you`re protected

Thanks for the recommendation!

It`s amazing but the 876s lasts even longer!

If you want a sealant, Zaino lasts an incredibly long time. The Wax Test by Guru Reports a few years ago had Zaino outlast everything else they tested including the Collinite 876s.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    JR_911SC- Welcome to Autopia.

Heh heh, your garage-queen gets a lot more real-world expsure than any of mine do, and that`s good.

I use UPP on my S8 and I`m not surprised by your findings. The slickness drops off fast and the beading turns to sheeting, but it`s still there protecting your paint at that point. Still, maybe it`s not the right stuff your your application.

I`d go with the Collinite, though I kinda lean towards the 476S paste. The 845IW is very nice looking though. You can sorta flip a coin between them- feel like using a paste or a semi-liquid?

Only issues I have with synthetics like Zaino, KSG, and even UPP is that they show every little flaw. For most people I`d say the Collinite approach is better overall but hey, it`s just IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find marque lasts a long time and provides superb depth and slickness

Car is looking better than ever with just AJ and Marque.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a follow up I have one more question. Can I put collinite insulator wax on top pf UPP or does collinite contain abrasives/cleaners that will remove the UPP? I don`t want to go to all that work of putting on 2 products only to find out I removed the 1st one with the 2nd. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO you can put the 845Iw on top of the UPP without stripping it, *BUT*...

The UPP is very slick when it`s fresh, I a) would rather have that than the 845 myself, and b) getting stuff to bond to super-slick surfaces can be iffy. Applying the 846 after the UPP`s slickness drops off would be better IMO, but then I`d rather just reapply the UPP (again, that`s just me). I just don`t see the point in putting on the 845 instead (and note that I have all these products on the shelf).

Not to beat you over the head with my personal preferences, but I`d just stick with the UPP and refresh it with more frequent applications, or the UGE QD, or something like FK425.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome-

I had a red 82 back in 1987. Fun car until you had to buy parts. I remember going for $185 for a gas cap that I left at a gas station. (back in 1987)

Post a few pics of the finish so yo can get some good prep advice.

Thread Information