Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I put on Klasse SG once every week or two. At what point is it not effective to wax the car anymore? After 5 coats? 7 coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KITT
    I put on Klasse SG once every week or two. At what point is it not effective to wax the car anymore? After 5 coats? 7 coats?

I`ve read 20-30 coats is not out of the norm for SG on show cars. :woot:

here`s the link:

http://www.properautocare.com/inwiklusa.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I would guess that after 2 or 3 there is nothing gained......protection wise or look wise. You will get diminishing results
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by euro

here`s the link:

Get out... 30 coats? It`s going to start looking like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    What the heck is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RP-350Z
    What the heck is that?
    Something extremely shiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by euro

here`s the link:

That`s crazy. Two or three coats would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Styrnol
    That`s crazy. Two or three coats would be great.

Unfortunately, some here like me are `OCD` enough to try this.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is another jab at a long debated topic. Cleaner waxes, many sealants (in general) will not layer beyond an application or two. A pure wax will layer, ladies and gentlemen (despite popular belief). In terms of appearance, you can have varying degrees of slickness, gloss and a greater appearance of depth with more layers (or deposits for the naysayers) of wax. Very good waxes will not necessarily require a lot of product applied on the surface in order to reach an optimal result. Additionally, too much of a product applied in a short time could hamper the appearance of the paint with signs of hazing and an un-even finish. A well layered waxed finish has to be built slowly during a typical waxing season of 4-9 months, and very importantly, on nothing but clean, clear paint.

In terms of durability, wax layers have to have time in between applications in order to cure properly and to build a good waxed surface. I have had excellent duration and protection from wax layers with patiently building a waxed surface during the spring and summer, which has lasted throughout a typical northeast winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that if you spit-shined, you could probably achieve more using less layers. This is versus the typical apply to paint, wait, wipe off, repeat a few hours later method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    A well layered waxed finish has to be built slowly during a typical waxing season of 4-9 months, and very importantly, on nothing but clean, clear paint....In terms of durability, wax layers have to have time in between applications in order to cure properly and to build a good waxed surface.

:werd:

If I finally end up finding the product that I like, that is exactly how I will do it to protect my finish!

Post Thanks / Like
    KSG- Some old-timers here might recall how, a few years ago, I played around (uh, I mean I "experimented" ) with varying layers of SG on the minivan. I did notice, or think I did, a slight improvement in appearance up to four layers, but I absolutely couldn`t tell any changes after that.

While I had previously used 3-4 layers topped with #16, I built up six layers over a period of about three weeks and did *not* top with wax. I allowed each to dry at least 12 hours before buffing and to cure for at least 24 hours before adding another layer. Some layers were done many days apart. Every layer was so thin that I couldn`t easily see it on the silver paint.

Unlike the appearance, the durability, *did* improve with more applications, and dramatically so. I got...I forget exactly, I`d have to go dig up my records to know for sure...well over a year, maybe 16 months out of the six layers. I had tight beading for over 12 months, then less-tight beading for the rest of the time; by the end of the test it was starting to sheet. It deteriorated fastest on the areas where I`d frequently spot-clayed, but not as badly as I`d expected. All the surfaces still felt like they had SG on them (that smooth, plastic-like feel that`s very different from bare paint). The roof was still OK after *18 months* when I decided to redo it on general principles. When I`d used 3-4 layers I never got close to that kind of durability. I was frankly astounded at how long it lasted, never expected anything like that. And no, I didn`t QD it or otherwise introduce any wildcard-type variables

Disclaimer: YMMV, I`m not saying that six layers of KSG will last this long for anybody else or even that it`d last that long for me if I repeated the exercise. Note that I probably wash (and clay) as gently as it can be done and that my vehicles live a somewhat pampered existence.

Wax- I just clay with Sonus green as needed and rewax when the beading changes. Spit-shining with something like Souveran works, but generally isn`t worth the effort to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    I would guess that after 2 or 3 there is nothing gained......protection wise or look wise. You will get diminishing results

I agree with this

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what Accumulator posted, I observed (although not as meticulously documented as he did) the same thing on my car with 9 layers of KSG before the end of the season made me stop.

In the appearance area, I noticed a dramatic improvement after the third layer. After the 6th, there was another change - I noticed it looked different, but it wasn`t as dramatic as the change around the 3rd/4th layer.

I go for the "build the layers as the season progresses" approach as well. Early on, like now, I just apply another layer of LSP - in my case, at this point, UPP. In a few weeks, I`ll switch to Souveran and use it the rest of the season.

It`s the process

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Spit (water) shining right after the next to last buff...............perrrrfection!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information