Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Droppings

Post Thanks / Like
    I park in an area with alot of seagulls: By a port next to a chinese restaurant. I expect up to 5 droppings on my black car in a week. What`s the best way to protect the finish? as far as protection goes, I`m just using Natty`s Blue on top of OCW. I`m thinking of getting some JW Acrylic Jett.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a car cover? No sealant/wax is 100% effective against bird droppings. Black car + the right bird dropping + summer sun = almost instant etch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, i just had that problem yesterday with my dark blue Corolla. Thank God I did 1 Coat Mothers Carnauba Phase 3 and 1 Coat Cherry Wax in he hood. To remove it, I only used Meguiars Quick Detailer and a towel. Done deal!!! :spot
    Owner of Major Auto Works. Serving the eastern half of Puerto Rico :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    this is at work, so i don`t know about having to cover and uncover the car everyday...

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, I agree with Setec.

You would be taking your chance with relying on LSP to protect your paint.

Car cover can be pretty painless. I can put it on / take it off in less than 45 seconds.

(I do this 2, 3 times a day.)

However, I don`t have to deal with the lock - perhaps it will take longer if you use one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like car covers as a way to guard against bird bombs. First putting them on and removing them can damage your paint. Plus, outdoor use means your getting them dirty and rubbing that dirt into your paint and you will have to deal with a cover covered in crap. Your milage may vary.

I suggest you see if you can find a slightly better spot to park. I know I was having a problem in our office lot. Then I discovered a part of the lot that seemed to have less of a problem. I think it is because it is the closest spot to the interstate and thus more noise to scare the birds away. Again, your milage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree a cover isn`t the ideal solution. If you have it on the car in the rain, it`s a real bear to take off and store when it`s wet, etc. Keep the freshest coat of LSP on that you can, check the car at lunchtime and clean any bird bombs, as well as before you go home. Any car that is left outside is going to be at risk for bird bombs, hail, etc., it`s a fact of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just check at lunchtime as mentioned and always keep QD and MF`s in the car as well as multiple coats of a sealant usually topped with a carnauba for an extra sacrificial layer on the car....and it doesn`t hurt that it looks great. :grinno:

I tried the cover and encountered all of the above problems plus unwanted attention from people wondering what`s under the cover. It was a nightmare dealing with the cover in a public place and it got so filthy,sometimes just in a couple of days, I didn`t even want to mess with it any more. This is a tough call but welcome to the daily driver frustration.

A new pair of walking shoes and a spot further away may be the ticket if available. You`re not alone my friend.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, there is no good place to park, and I can`t check on the car until the end of the day at night/when I come home.

I keep a bottle of club soda in my garage as it balances the pH and softens it a bit (but by that time the acids have probably done a bit of eating away).

I can try to find a fake owl somewhere and mount it somewhere near my car as seagulls are afraid of owls.

I can clearbra the tops of my car though I can`t imagine how expensive that`ll be and the practicality of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are those owls really effective against the gulls? I`ve never had much success with them against crows at work or the stupid robin that kept bashing into my window at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec,

That robin that kept bashing in to your window at home..... Do you use Windex to clean your home`s windows? It`s rumored to attract just such behavior.

acrl, I agree with those against a car cover. Too much hassle, and too much chance of marring your paint. I would just be extremely vigilant at getting the poop off in a reasonable amount of time. If your paint is sealed/waxed, a day or two would probably work well. And don`t forget to re-apply an LSP over the spot you clean. Luckily, I don`t think seagull poop is very acidic when compared to other birds` droppings. Birds that eat berries have the very acidic poop.

Birds also like to poop in water (which is why they are attracted to shiny cars). You could try parking further away from the water to see if it helps some.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
    Setec,

That robin that kept bashing in to your window at home..... Do you use Windex to clean your home`s windows? It`s rumored to attract just such behavior.

Inside or out? I don`t see what difference it would make on the inside...the outside may have had DC wash followed by VM at that time (and old GC wax on the cladding)...there is a bush partially in front of the window, and he would perch on a branch of the bush, and bonk incessantly into the window. I played Fox Mulder and put an huge masking tape X on the window, then I got an old doll and propped it there, borrowed one of those owls from work, and finally tied a mylar balloon I found to the bush. I finally got him to go...to the other side of the house. He finally went away, I figure he just got so brain damaged he couldn`t do it anymore...

Post Thanks / Like
    while no sealant will provide 100% protection ... what sealant gives you the best chance?

i`ve heard FK 1000P is good, others?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think the most durable ones would give you the best shot, Zaino or Klasse SG (or Werkstatt AJ), but you want to have the freshest coat you can of something on there (sealant or wax), want that poop to bead up and stay off the surface as much as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information