Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I know scratchx works well, i used it before but is there anything else that can be used by hand that`s better... The products will also be used by hand with the handjobber applicator kit Link

I was thinking maybe poorboys ssr 2 or ssr 1 or something along those lines.... Any suggestions?

Also what products would i use for each of the pads?

Like what would i use with the orange pad, white pad and black one?

Like the scratch remover with the orange, white use a paint cleaner and/or glaze and black the lsp?????

Update on page 2
    Got Boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    The product will depend on the situation. Pics are best, but do your best to describe year/make/model of vehicle, cc/ss paint, condition of paint, types of defects, etc. Rough paint can be hard, if not impossible, to bring back by hand.

Your pad/product combos are correct. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have scratchx and will using it on an orange pad give it more bite then an ordinary

foam megs yellow foam applicator?

Is there anything stronger then scratchx though that can be used by hand? Like Megs fine cut cleaner... ssr1 etc...?

I was also looking at some more glazes to get and use with the white pad like show car glaze, i also have mothers sealer and glaze.

Plus i have nxt and a ton of other waxes to use and that would be used with my black pad right?

Car is a 1993 ford tempo, paint color is caymen green... has some marring,swirls,scratches.... Paint is in good shape besides those problems.
    Got Boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re going to go by hand, use something with filling ability. I like 3M and 1Z polishes if hand use is necessary. Follow with a good glaze (VM has worked for me pretty well) and top with NXT (good hiding properties).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    What 3m polish do you recommend?
    Got Boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote goes to Meguairs Scratch X.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi-Temp Heavy Cut.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as applying ScratchX with an orange (light cutting pad) I`d be hesitant only because, as far as machine application goes, Meguiar`s does not recommend using an orange pad with any of their cleaner/polishes (#9, #80, #83, and similar). They say to use a polishing pad and let the chemical do the work. Hand application... I`d only use ScratchX for a localized problem, not for an entire car. It has to really be worked in on most blemishes.

Rather spend more and more money on more and more chemicals, I`d save the $$$ for a PC and get the one or two polishes that will make a difference. Restoring 13 year old paint by hand will be time consuming and tiring. If you absolutely can`t afford to get a PC, I`d take the cheater`s way out and get a mild swirl remover with fillers and seal it, maybe Meguiar`s #9 followed by NXT or #21.

Post Thanks / Like
    I already went over the car with scratchx basically and worked each section 3 times.... It worked and diminished scarcthes and swirls some.... I`d like to go over it again though to see if i can make it better. I can afford a PC but i don`t have anything to practice on.... That`s the crappy part.

If i do order a pc i will get some polish like poorboys or something....

What types of polish would you guys recommend for use on the PC for the orange and white pads. I was thinking ssr2 or ssr2.5 on the orange followed by ssr1 on the white.

Any help is great and will help me make my choice....
    Got Boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t worry about `practice` with the PC. It is very easy to use with a little common sense and a lot of reading (especially here on Autopia). I remember the first time I put a PC to paint... but, after those initial passes and a wipe with a MF, I was like, "WOW! I can`t believe I didn`t get one sooner! This is amazing!"

The best advice I can give you with the PC (being a novice with one myself) is to start out with mild combinations first such as SSR1/2 or #9 with a white pad to build confidence. Don`t buy heavy cut cleaner and apply it with a yellow or wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I say get the PC...the funny thing is that you got all the practice you need when you ScratchX-ed your entire car 3 times. My arm would have fallen off by the time I hit the 4th panel.

I would use the orange pad with SSR2.5 if it`s really bad marring. Follow that up with SSR1 with the white pad to clean up any haze and leave a perfect finish. LSP of your choice with the black pad. I am assuming you are using LC pads due to the color scheme.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say the strongest you can go by hand would be:

Optimum Polish

Poorboy`s SSR2

Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess i am ordering one then :xyxthumbs

Any guide i can read on learning how to use it?

What speeds to use, what technique, etc....

Do i really need to start out on some old beater or an old panel?????

If i start with ssr2 do i need to follow up with ssr1? What about ssr2.5? Is that to advanced for a beginner? Is an orange pad to agressive to start?

Should i even get an orange pad to start or just 2 white and 1 black?
    Got Boost?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I`d say the strongest you can go by hand would be:

Optimum Polish

Poorboy`s SSR2

Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze

I`ve had surprisingly good results with a few stronger ones like 3M PI-III RC (05933) and 1Z Ultra/Extra. Both finish *almost* ready-to-wax and will (with time and effort) take out nasty scratches on hard paint, the sort of stuff that just laughs at #80.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had great results with 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound by hand before I got my PC....you can actually feel and see it break down.

But not nearly as aggressive as you can be with a PC...not that much more cut than Scratch-X in my experience....

blue skies,

Andrew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information