Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d like to prove with this little observation that the AS claims of FK are true and the product(s) are working as they should – and not how they ought to; based on some members’ imaginations/opinions/beliefs/perceptions.

So, attention non-believers: I don’t wanna confuse you with facts, but read on and see the pics.

EXCERPTS FROM FINISH KARE PATENT #5,300,141

(relevant context in capitals)

Anti-static compositions for molds, molded parts and painted surfaces

Abstract

Wax-based composition for protecting and polishing paint, plastic and metal surfaces, or as a mold release, to remain free of CLINGING dust, comprising a first hydrocarbon wax having a relatively higher HLB (hydrophilic lipophlilic balance – Bence) value, a second hydrocarbon wax having a relatively lower HLB value, the first and second waxes being combined into a wax blend having an intermediate HLB value based on the proportions of each wax, a solvent for the blend, the solvent having a given HLB value, the HLB value of the wax-solvent mixture being predetermined by the wax blend HLB value and the concentration and HLB value of the solvent, and a small but effective amount of a quaternary compound having an anti-static persistence at the predetermined HLB value to maintain the surfaces protected, polished and free of CLINGING dust.

Description

TECHNICAL FIELD

This invention relates to anti-static compositions for plastic parts molds, for molded parts and for painted surfaces, especially automotive painted surfaces. More particularly, the invention is concerned with modifications of wax, sealer and mold release compositions to permit effective incorporation of anti-static agents, while retaining their protectiveness, durability, polishability and gloss.

BACKGROUND

Wax and sealer compositions find wide use in protecting and polishing metal, painted and plastic surfaces, and as release agents in molding and lay-up operations. Natural and synthetic waxes are blended with solvent systems and applied to the surface to be protected. Often the applied wax is buffed to a high gloss. Also the surface to which a wax release agent is applied may have been preliminarily buffed before waxing or sealing to ensure the smoothest possible surface.

BUFFING AND POLISHING ENGENDER IN THE WAX OR SEALER A STATIC CHARGE WHICH ATTRACTS DUST AND OTHER AIRBORNE PARTICLES TO THE SURFACE ADVERSELY AFFECTING APPEARANCE, AND, IN THE CASE OF MOLD RELEASE AGENTS, BRINGING POTENTIAL SURFACE DEFECTS INTO THE MOLD.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

THE USE OF VARIOUS ANTI-STATIC AGENTS IN WAXES (WHICH TERM, UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED, IS USED HEREIN TO INCLUDED WAXES PER SE, SEALERS, AND MOLD RELEASE AGENTS BASED ON WAXES), IS BROADLY KNOWN. PRIOR WORKERS, HOWEVER, HAVE FAILED TO RECOGNIZE THE CRITICALITY OF TAILORING THE WAX COMPOSITION TO CREATE THE OPTIMUM ENVIRONMENT FOR THE ANTI-STATIC AGENT WITH THE RESULT THAT ANTI-STATIC EFFECTS ARE NOT REALIZED DESPITE THE INCLUSION OF ANTI-STATIC AGENTS IN THE FORMULATION.

It is an object therefore of the present invention to provide improved wax compositions which are persistently anti-static when applied onto a painted, plastic or metal surfaces as protective polishes or as a mold release...

...It is another object to provide surface waxes, polishes, sealing agents and mold release compositions in which a blend of waxes having as a blend a predetermined HLB number is combined with solvent having an HLB number selected with reference to the HLB number of the wax blend to bring the HLB number of the solvent wax blend mixture to a value compatible with persistence of the anti-static agent in the mixture.

These objects and other objects to become apparent hereinafter are realized in accordance with the invention in a wax-based composition for protecting and polishing paint, plastic and metal surfaces TO REMAIN FREE OF CLINGING DUST...

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

...IT HAS BEEN FOUND THAT THE INVENTION COMPOSITIONS ARE NOT DUST REPELLANT, OR SO CHARGED THAT DUST DOES NOT ACCUMULATE, BUT RATHER, THE SURFACE, BE IT A PLASTIC SURFACE, A MARINE PAINT SURFACE, A CAR FINISH OR, IN THE MOLD RELEASE EMBODIMENTS OF THE INVENTION, THE HIGHLY POLISHED INTERIOR SURFACE OF A MOLD, IS NON-RETENTIVE TO DUST AND DIRT. THERE IS NO CLING OF DUST OR DIRT TO THE SURFACE, SO THAT UPON LIGHT BRUSHING OR EVEN BLOWING THE DUST OR DIRT LEAVES THE SURFACE...

EXAMPLE 1

An automotive paste wax...

...product was evaluated by applying to steel panels coated with automotive paint and rubbing until a high gloss was obtained. The panels were exposed in an open, unpaved area during daylight hours and periodically inspected for accumulation of dust. IN ALL CASES DUST ACCUMULATED ACROSS THE PANELS SURFACES. Periodically, the dust was brushed off the panels with a soft, untreated brush; there was no remainder of dust on the panels, INDICATIVE OF THE PANEL SURFACE HAVING NO ELECTROSTATIC ATTRACTIVENESS FOR THE DUST. These results are noted for multiple day exposures until the test is discontinued.

In a control, the above formulation is repeated but with the use of 100% of the higher HLB value wax, so that the HLB value of the wax portion was 15, and that of the solvent 17. A DECREASE IN THE NON-ATTRACTION OF THE PANEL SURFACES FOR DUST WAS NOTED AFTER A SECOND DAY OF EXPOSURE, WITH THE ACCUMULATED DUST BEING INCREASINGLY DIFFICULT TO REMOVE BY SIMPLE BRUSHING. In a second control, THIS SAME LACK OF PERSISTENCE IN NONRETENTION OF DUST IS NOTED when 100% of the lower HLB value wax (HLB=8) is used in the example procedure.

It was concluded that the adjustment of the HLB value to one at which the quaternary amine could persist added greatly to the effectiveness of the composition as a wax and as a dust nonretentive...

Now, the pics. FK 425 is applied on the left half of a Panasonic TX-29S PS2/B’s screen; the other half is untouched. After a week (Friday-Friday), there was a noticeable difference in dust accumulation. There is dust on both sides, but CONSIDERABLY LESS with Finish Kare’s 425 QD. Enjoy:

Post Thanks / Like
    Now with a control wipe:

It works pretty obviously, isn’t it? It is not that hard to understand. But if the attempt still fails, I recommend a miniaturized Dig-Yourself-Kit wholeheartedly.

So once more:

Gravity will still pull dust and various particles towards the ground. If a car happens to be there, the dust/pollen/etc. will still settle on its surface. An anti static QD or sealant provides a PASSIVE protection, which stops the DUST ATTRACTION and not an ACTIVE protection like the shields of a Borg Cube.

There will be dust (but less than usual) on the horizontal surfaces, and negligible on the verticals. And that little amount will be easy to remove.

Final word: the anti-AS claim is the real BS, not the original one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you use 425 on a RPTV though, will it do damage to the screen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool post Bence! I would like to see 425 against another QD or spray wax though, to see if the anti-static properties of 425 are better than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    John, it works beautifully on laptop screens, so on an RPTV it must be just as fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried their anti static glass cleaner and it does the same thing-it is really noticable inside your home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can also attest to the validity of the anti-static claims. I`ve used it on my tv and psp with similar results to those of Bence.

Post Thanks / Like
    is this for TVs or cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the experiment Bence!

Maybe try another experiment with 425 on one side and another QD on the other side and photograph the differences.

I too have noticed the anti-static properties on my folk`s cars in the garage. My detached garage is as old as the house (80 years), never cleand and loaded with cracks for debris and dust to flow around. Normally covered in a layer of dust, the cars after the 425 show a dust accumulation that is SIGNIFICANTLY less. The only other product that does this for me, oddly enough, is Eagle One Wax As U Dry.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Bence,

That is one impressively written, very technical article! It gets my vote for acceptance into the latest issue of Annals of The Study of Technical Automotive Detailing. Way to go! :2thumbs:
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cj99si
    is this for TVs or cars?

Looks like you can use it for both.. :nixweiss
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now, I have it on my laptop, portable CD-player, TV, monitor, my car`s paint, glass, on my phone, my printers, even on the scroll-wheel axles in my mouse. I spit shine with it, remove polish with it, even when polishing DVDs, add shine and protection with it... and I could keep on...

Fascinatingly universal product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 425 on my glasses prior to playing tennis in the cold evening....prevents fogging of lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bence
    ...I spit shine with it, remove polish with it...

Me too.

I buzzed my car with Vanilla Moose, let it all dry and spritzed 425 on each panel as I wiped off - :2thumbs: WOW! Topped with PW (not spit shined) removed with 425 again and then topped with Duragloss 951 spray wax - double WOW!

People may roll their eyes and crank up the hype wagon, but 425 is now my favorite QD, taking the top spot by a small margin from EF Clear Pearl (discontinued) follwed by Meguiars Final Detail (discontinued) followed by QS.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Another terrific post by Bence! Nice job, man. 425 has made a huge difference when it comes to repelling dust on my computer screen & t.v. screen. The anti static properties are for real. 425 has vaulted to the top of my "favorite QD list". It`s simply magical on my trucks black paint,glass & chrome. It also works very well on my master bathroom mirrors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information