Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think an applicator (foam, microfiber covered foam, terry covered foam) is necessary for hand waxing? Why?

Below is my LIMITED personal experience.

The towel I used to apply liquid wax: 100% cotton terry towel purchased at Meguiar’s web a few years ago, before Meguiars started selling Meguiar’s branded towels.

[towel does not seem bad because . . . . ]

When folded enough, the towel seems to provide enough cushion to prevent excessive pressure on the paint.

(The multiple folded plush cotton towel is thicker than any applicator I have seen. So, when work with it on tight areas such as under the door handle, I fold the towel only once and pay more attention to the application pressure. So I am slow when working on tight areas, but I am slow on those areas with applicator too, because excessive pressure on foam or foam covered applicator near door handle etc. puts a lot of liquid wax on crevices and nooks.)

[towel seems better because . . . ]

It has larger area than any applicator I have seen so that I can finish large area (hood, roof, etc.) in less time than I could with an applicator.

The 100% cotton terry towel seems to remove road grime better than Meguiars Even-Coat Applicator (rectangular foam covered with microfiber). The microfiber on the Even-Coat Applicator seemed to be too soft to remove the road grime I had on my car.

Towel has more sides to change. I do not wax very often. The car is outside always, and is a daily driver. So, when I wax that car with applicators, the applicator becomes dirty very quickly. So I need plenty of applicators. But I can get 8 sides from one towel. So towel is more economical.

[applicator seems better because . . . ]

I find that foam applicator or microfiber covered foam applicator puts more even layer than terry towel.

(However, if the wax I use is not one that is very difficult to remove, I feel that terry towel is OK too.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say if it works for you, then use it.

Personally I use foam to apply paste, and the PC to apply liquid.

One thing that kinda scared me in your post was that you were removing road grime with your wax applicator. I wouldn`t be waxing until the surface is properly prepared, which would mean perfectly clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that kinda scared me in your post was that you were removing road grime with your wax applicator. I wouldn`t be waxing until the surface is properly prepared, which would mean perfectly clean.

I usually do one-step process. The cleaner waxes sold by Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Wax etc. are designed to remove road grime during wax application.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use MF apps and Terry Cloth apps for polish/glaze products. Foam apps for waxes/sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use applicators simply because they`re easier on the hands. Towels are less wieldy.

Why are you using your towels/applicators for removing road grime? Your wash mitt should get the grime off, and a clay bar for the contamination.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used MF app`s for liquids and foam for solids. My favorite now for solids is the Polishing Pal with finishing pad. Much less work and far less tiring to the hands...speeds up the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ktlimq
    I usually do one-step process. The cleaner waxes sold by Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Wax etc. are designed to remove road grime during wax application.

Actually, they are designed to remove contaminants from your paint during wax application. If "road grime" is coming off when you wax, then your car isn`t clean. That`s not a good thing.

Road grime should be removed by proper washing.

Thread Information