Thread: My Chemicals...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi again. I am starting another thread only to keep conversations seperate. My other thread is entitled "With what I use, is it ok to detail so much?" but this thread is to discuss what I use. If this causes a problem, please tell me, and I will have the other thread closed.

What I have (In order of use, polishes not always used):

Meguiars Deep Crystal Car Wash

BLACKFIRE PolyClay - Not done the whole car yet, seldom used.

Menzerna Intensive Polish - Seldom used, only on bad cars or appropriate spot polishes.

Menzerna Final Polish II - Used on new or occasional details.

Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - Used once, I like 3M Hand glaze better

3M Imperial Hand Glaze - Used faithfully, normally after each wash, before each wax.

Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax - I like how easy it is to take off.

Waterless Wash & Gloss Sealant - Multipurpose quick detailing - although it states it is not a quickdetail.

I have various extra products for the tires, windows, trim, etc. I am still looking for one product to stick with so if you have any recommendations, let me know. Tomorrow I should be getting some tire dressing that I have seen work extremely well.

I also have the Porter Cable 7424 - I use it on neglected paint and spot scratches, etc.

There arent many times that I was my car and NOT glaze/wax it. The only time I dont is if it is still fairly clean or I quickdetail it. I dont know if it healthy to wax it so much, but I do. Like I said in my other thread, that happens about every 2-4 weeks and that consists of wash-glaze-wax.

So I ask you, based on the chemicals I have in my arsenal, how would you use them? Is there anything you would add to the collection?

Thanks again -- This place is a wealth of knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only issue I saw was that it was placed in Detailing rather than Detailing Product Discussion, so I moved it. Everything else was fine.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry. Thank you for moving it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fairly new to detailing (only do it as a hobby). From the advice of others, I purchased several Poorboy`s products which have been working very well for me. I have used the following:

Bold n` Bright: Very glossy, doesn`t sling and usually lasts through 1-2 more washes so application every week is not necessary (but can be done to increase the shine)

Trim Restorer: I was torn between this and 303 for the exterior of the vehicle. I didn`t like the way it looked on my interior, but it did a nice job on the exterior moldings on my fiance`s Equinox.

Natural Look: I love this interior dressing. It smells really good and can be buffed to desired glossiness. I used very little product and then buffed it for a nice satin finish.

I use TOL Bubble Bath as my car wash soap and TOL Tire Cleaner for my rubber. In addition, I also use the TOL version of bug squash (love that citrus smell) with Pinnacles Bug Block. I was very impressed with these products and they are very affordable. I always buy the most cost effective which are usually the gallon jugs from www.topoftheline.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Windows--Meg`s NXT is probably the best, with Stoner IG a close second.

Trim--I love Chemical Guys Liquid Extreme Shine on plastic/rubber trim. Not so great on tires though.

Tires--pick up some Mothers FX Tire Shine. Great stuff, and only $6 for 24oz.

The rest of your collection looks pretty good to me. I think that the EF Waterless Wash could/should be replaced by Chemical Guys Pro Detailer. Pro Detailer cleans sooo well, as well as Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe, plus it adds some carnauba for increased gloss/slickness/durability. Since you are using a carnauba wax, it would be perfect. Plus, a gallon of Pro Detailer costs half as much as EF Waterless Wash.

Clay would be a great addition to your lineup. Use it every 3-6 months, you will notice how much brighter and slicker your finish becomes.

IIRC, Gold Class has mild cleaners in it? If so, it might remove some/all of the glaze layer below it, so change over to a wax without cleaners. Regardless, redoing the process of glazing and waxing every 2-4 weeks seems pointless to me. Instead of doing both, why not just add another layer of wax? The glaze should still be intact, so simply putting on another layer of wax every 2-4 weeks should give the same results as your normal routine.

I don`t like Meg`s Deep Crystal nearly as much as Meg`s Gold Class, but whatever works for you. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention -- I have sprayway glass cleaner. I havent used it yet, because I got a can of it during the winter from a friend. I hear that it is good stuff...

I am also going to get some tire dressing that I have been pretty pleased with when used on my tires. I found out about it from my body shop after they put some on my tires it seemed to last for ever, so I asked them what it was and they gave me a number to call off of the jug. The kid workin there had no clue...

As for the wax... I didnt know the gold class had cleaners in it. So can you recommend any good paste wax that is simply carnauba? I would definitely rather save the time glazing and waxing and spend more driving. But I am anal and I love waxing my car.

What is with this new polymer wax? I hear that if you dont use it right, it could cause you problems. I feel comfortable with the carnauba wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theqase

As for the wax... I didnt know the gold class had cleaners in it. So can you recommend any good paste wax that is simply carnauba? I would definitely rather save the time glazing and waxing and spend more driving. But I am anal and I love waxing my car.

I just got a closer look and it looks like the current version of GC has no cleaners in it, so that`s good. If you want though, for slightly more $$, you can get some superb paste waxes online like Chemical Guys Danase` Paste Wax or Poorboy`s Natty`s Paste Wax.

Polymer products IMO beat the hell out of regular carnauba waxes in all aspects, but one big problem with them is that most of them can`t be layered on most glazes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have been doing some reading here on the forums and whatnot. And these LSP seem to be polymer or acrylic? Am I correct?

If I were to go to a line of polymer, what would you recommend?

I hear a lot of good stuff about FMJ and HGAS as a LSP. But it seems like you would need to have a polymer base to it before sealing.

I would relate it to oil and water, polymer only works with polymer, and carnuaba only works with carnauba and the like.

Sorry for being such a pest. I just feel like I cant get enough information when it comes to this stuff. I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sealants are polymer-based, be it silicone, acrylic, etc. They can`t be layered over carnaubas or glazes, but carnaubas can be layered over sealants. Keep reading, as you will find MANY different opinions on different lines of sealants; choose the one that has the characteristics you are looking for.

Thread Information