Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    which do you guys like better with a rotary? which gives better results? please discuss

Post Thanks / Like
    They both have their good attributes. The PG will work faster but is not as easy to use as Optimum. They both break down very well and used properly only need a light final polishing to be done.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I havnt tired either but arent the two different animals? I thought that Powergloss was very aggresive and OC was less abrasive than PG?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    From the Optimum site...

Optimum Compound can be used with a wool or foam pad and at any speed on the buffer. It can remove 1200 grit sand scratch marks while still performing like a polish.

From a PG seller......

PowerGloss Compound quickly and effectively removes 1000-1500 grit sanding scratches on all fresh paint systems. Leaves a high gloss finish in one step on all but the darkest colors.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    i used OCC witha lambskin wool pad and it barely took out 3k grit scratches. It seems to have a liittle bit of cut above the OCP. The PG with a rotory works great but i havent used it with a wool pad. I ended up using the meguiars 85/84 for removing the sanding marks then followed up with OCC/OCP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 6`][`9
    i used OCC witha lambskin wool pad and it barely took out 3k grit scratches. It seems to have a liittle bit of cut above the OCP. The PG with a rotory works great but i havent used it with a wool pad. I ended up using the meguiars 85/84 for removing the sanding marks then followed up with OCC/OCP

This would mean that OCC has about as much cut as 85RD. I have removed heavy swirls with OCC and a Meguiar`s red pad using a rotary.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    never used powergloss, not enthralled with Optimum.. i don`t think its lived up to its hype for me personally

Post Thanks / Like
    No competition IMO.

OPT Compound doesn`t cut any harder than OPT Polish via rotary IMO. I have tested them side by side.

Powergloss, on the other hand, cuts up everything very quick. It levels swirls with ease and leaves very little haze for a compound. Follow it with a light polish and you`re set. There is no middle step when using Powergloss. The only thing I don`t like is the dusting, but any "true" compound will dust.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ hence my preference towards dacp over opt w/ rotary

i too have not seen opt compound cut better than opt polish

Post Thanks / Like
    wow, i guess i might have to purchase some powergloss then. when i buy some more pads, i think im gonna order some powergloss and PO85RD for myself

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am also very unimpressed with Optimum Compound. I get much better

results with Powergloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    menzerna powergloss eh ? gonna have to order some then ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    This would mean that OCC has about as much cut as 85RD. I have removed heavy swirls with OCC and a Meguiar`s red pad using a rotary.

yeah i know i also had some good results with the OCC and a maroon pad but on a pc. I never use the maroon pad with my rotory. However i heard there is supposed to be a "bit" more aggressive of an OCC coming out in the next couple of months. IMHO the OCC & OCP both seem to finish & cut the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn`t want to post any thing regarding the new Optimum Hyper Compound until I had some bottles in my hand. However I think this is a good time to do so.

During the development stage of the first compound I was sent samples of what is currently on the market today. I tested these on repaints from the body shop next to me that I do work for. I found that it was not aggressive enough and told David about it. Now let me say that David is not a detailer he is a chemist. If he has an Idea for a product he will start with a base line and tweak it from there based on the feedback from the people testing it.

During the development David had one vision and Kevin had another. Kevin felt that the compound was aggressive enough and didn`t want a product that was so aggressive that you would have to spend extra time removing swirls.

After the product hit the market the first signs that it was not aggressive enough started to show. David called me and told me that he wanted to start over with the product. He ask if I would like to be the main test person because I color sanding and polish every day for the above mentioned body shop.

David felt that he had made a grave error but then we found out that the original compound worked great with the PC. Like a DACP. There has been no decision yet if the name of the original compound will under go a name change.

Now for the new compound and what it can do.

1200 sanding marks. No problem with a Wool pad

2000 sanding marks. Wool or yellow cutting pad. Any thing higher you can just use the yellow foam.

During my testing I found that on the lighter finishes I could compound 2000 grit marks with the Yellow foam pad with very fine swirling left. The Hyper compound likes to be worked slow with the rotary like the polish and Clean up is very easy like the polish. The swirls were removed with the polish and a green or blue pad. Dark colors may require another polishing steep for Best Results.

Now the Paint I`m working on is usually a day or two old and is still very soft. Factory finishes I tested were BMW GM and Mazda. I went through 8 to 10 different samples during the testing. It was amazing how I could tell David what I wanted the next samples to do and he would tweak it to do just what I asked.

The production plant finished the first batch today and will be packaging it tomorrow. I should have a couple bottles by the end of the week. I will let you know if there are any changes in the performance.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ron, how about that cool weather?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information