Post Thanks / Like
    For you to answer that question I`ll give a couple of examples. Let us say you have a show car that will sit for months on end at the exhibit at the Imperial Palace in Vegas. You get it all ready and put it in there under contolled heat and humidity and there is someone to dust it off every day.

Now, lets say your daily driver is used each day, under hot sun in the summer, salt and sand in the winter and exposed to overnight dew and rain as you do not own a garage.

Of course the car detail in the show will last longer but how long? Most people agree that one of the most durable lsp is klasse SG but even under the best interior show conditions would it not sort of "wear out" eventually? And what are the outside, natural conditions that you have found cause your lsp to deteriorate the most? For example, have you found that 100 degree temps under a blazzing sun are more damaging to the lsp`s durability than dirt and rain?

Post Thanks / Like
    You answered your question your self yes rain and the high heat of the sun is a high factor. Other factor is gloss more glossy the paint is the more the sun’s UV rays reflects off the paint. Other factor is the paint’s color, black absorbs the heat. You can have a black car in the hot sun and I don’t care what you have on it it’s going to go to pieces real fast. Carnauba wax evaporates, sealers like polymers or acrylic deteriorates in time and there is other ingredients in waxes/sealers that can enhances the longevity and/or looks of the wax/sealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The lsp on the car in the showroom will last a long time, months. SG might even last a year. Outside is another story, heat probably the most damaging, but salt, dirt, rain, and snow do not help either. A sealant will last longer than most waxes though. That`s why I would agree that putting a sealant on first then a sacrifical coat of wax will do wonders for quite some time. Waxing your vehicle every 2 months or sooner is also a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the LSP on the "museum" car will last almost indefinitely, if it isn`t being wiped down with anything like a QD, etc. The biggest factors are going to be heat/light and rain/washing, which are eliminated indoors (usually).

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my real life experience. I have a 34 Chevy that drives like a stock 34 Chevy and I hate driving it. I put 2 coats of Souveran on it before storing in a self storage unit with out heat or air, after about 18 months I pulled it out storage. I blew the dust off with a compressor and washed it and it still beaded like the day I wax it. This is with any QD and it saw the light of day about twice in that 18 months. Now it has been about 20 and I will use come CM before the new owner picks it up.... :clap:
    -Dennis

My Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    My experiences mirror those of Dennis H. The Jag`s been stashed in the corner of my shop for over two years (yeah, yeah, I know... ). Climate controlled, dehumidified, no UV exposure. The one coat of Souveran I put on it in late `03 still looks good (well, under the light coating of dust) and when I accidentlally got water on it recently it still beaded just like fresh wax (tiny, spherical beads). I know how that paint looks when it`s unprotected, and its current condition isn`t even close to that.

When the Volvo was parked outside 24/7/52 it always needed redone after a while. Sunlight, rain, and all the other environmental factors really do take their toll.

Thread Information