Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    so this link right here just furthers and proves my point about China & Korea manufacturing not making a difference when it comes to quality MF:

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/delux...er-towels.html

These overpriced (in my humble opinion) Cobra towels are made in Korea, but assembled in China.....

I have been using MF`s for a few years now (before I even knew Autopia existed) and it is my personal belief that as long as they feel like a quality towel, they will be so.

discuss....

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using MF`s for a few years now (before I even knew Autopia existed) and it is my personal belief that as long as they feel like a quality towel, they will be so.

I don`t agree. The textile manufacturing technology is better in Korea and most of my best towels come from there. The superiorcarcare link seems to confirm this as well since the fabric is from Korea.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Individually, they are pretty pricey, but the 6-pack is a pretty good deal IMO. I have some of these that I got from Auto Geek, and I`m very happy with them.

As to where they were produced, honestly I didn`t pay attention. I`d heard good things about them, so I ordered some.

The only thing that ticks me off is somewhere between the time I received them and the 2nd time I washed them, one of them vanished. No clue where. It`s not in my car, not in the laundry room, nowhere that I can find.

Oh well. I still have a total of 7 of them (2 came free with a kit with pads and such that I ordered).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLexus
    I don`t agree. The textile manufacturing technology is better in Korea and most of my best towels come from there. The superiorcarcare link seems to confirm this as well since the fabric is from Korea.

fabric comes from Korea, but Made in China, which would lead me to believe (Cobra towel owners can chime in here as I don`t have them) that the tag says "Made in China" on them, which means that everyone`s theory is thrown out the door..

once again, I am just throwing this out there for people to read....The idea of paying $6 a towel seems ridiculous to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve bought some of these towels from AutoGeek and I think they`re great quality. I agree though that just because a towel feels soft doesn`t make it a good towel. My question is are there any MF towels made in the USA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BanditSRT
    My question is are there any MF towels made in the USA?

:werd: I`d like to support our failing economy as well...

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 3m cloths used to say "Made in USA" but no longer.

I seem to recall the DF Towels say they are made in USA, but then I`ve heard the material is from abroad, so I don`t know. Still, it would be something to look into.

Other than this one, though, I haven`t found any that are made even in the Western Hemisphere!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLeegr
    The 3m cloths used to say "Made in USA" but no longer.

I seem to recall the DF Towels say they are made in USA, but then I`ve heard the material is from abroad, so I don`t know. Still, it would be something to look into.

Other than this one, though, I haven`t found any that are made even in the Western Hemisphere!

Even if they say Made in the USA, that doesn`t mean much. Many things that say "Made in the USA" are actually made in the Marianas Islands, which (at least in the case of Saipan) is a commonwealth of the US, and thus can use the "Made in" designation. This is especially true of textiles.

Many of those factories import both their materials and their labor from China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ET Awful
    Even if they say Made in the USA, that doesn`t mean much. Many things that say "Made in the USA" are actually made in the Marianas Islands, which (at least in the case of Saipan) is a commonwealth of the US, and thus can use the "Made in" designation. This is especially true of textiles.

Many of those factories import both their materials and their labor from China.

OK, you are only partly correct here. The Madein USA label is not deceiving at all and is highly regulated. Of course thhere are many unscrupulous companies that import junk and then sewn in USA labels. Anyway, according to FTC regulations the USA is defined as the 50 States and all possessions and territories. For an item to be labeled Made in USA the product must conform to certain standards, most importantly, the product must be manufactured in the USA of US made parts. Some parts can be foreign, like sewing thread, as long as their cost is miniscule in relation to the entire product. Therefore, in your example if an item is made in the Marianas of fabric from China it CANNOT be labeled Made in the USA, at the most it can be labeled Assembled in USA of Imported Fabric.

I always find it curious though why nobody questions where waxes, polishes, brushes, and all the other products we use are made. These items do not require origin labels by the way. The only products that require origin labels are automobiles, wool products, and clothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to add to this comment....

....If they feel soft, perform to your expectations, and are within your budget, they`re the proper towel to be using.........end of story.

As for one origin being better then the other, I disagree....I use towels from both Korea and China. Why? Because they "feel like a quality towel, are soft, perform to my expectations, and are within my budget"....and thats my criteria for making such a purchase.

Good thread...
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they feel soft, perform to your expectations, and are within your budget, they`re the proper towel to be using.........end of story.

I would agree with that, but I have had better performance with the Korean towels generally. It may be like audio equipment. For years, Chinese manufacture was terrible, but now high end Chinese gear like Cayin and Shanling is very, very good. It is more related to the specific place of manufacture.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DFTowel
    Therefore, in your example if an item is made in the Marianas of fabric from China it CANNOT be labeled Made in the USA, at the most it can be labeled Assembled in USA of Imported Fabric.

I always find it curious though why nobody questions where waxes, polishes, brushes, and all the other products we use are made. These items do not require origin labels by the way. The only products that require origin labels are automobiles, wool products, and clothing.

Makes sense. I`m still not a fan of the practice of labelling anything not actually made in the US as being made in the US (especially with the way some of the factories in Saipan are run).

As to the chemicals, I`m not sure why that isn`t questioned. Perhaps because there are so many chemical manufacturing facilities in the US that few think to ask whether it was made here. Just a quick look around my office and I see 4 or 5 chemical products labeled as being made in the US (everything from compressed air for cleaning computers and such to the touch-up paint from Honda I have to the bottle of Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer). It looks like most of the OTC stuff I have around is labeled with country of manufacture, but other stuff such as Poor Boys polishes are not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ET Awful

The only thing that ticks me off is somewhere between the time I received them and the 2nd time I washed them, one of them vanished. No clue where. It`s not in my car, not in the laundry room, nowhere that I can find.

Oh well. I still have a total of 7 of them (2 came free with a kit with pads and such that I ordered).

They went to the same place where those missing socks went... black hole inside the washing machine

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recently got the same Cobra MFs from wolfgangcarcare......free shipping and after ordering the 6 pack, they were only $4 a towel. I also own the Sonus Der Wonder buffing towels, which are smaller and seem to be less plush. I have not used the Cobra MFs yet, nor do I have a durability rating, but they seem on first appearance to be a beter deal than the Sonus towels, which are still quite nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said patrick and silver lexus - as usual of course

Europe I believe were the first to manufacture microfibre (what I`ve been told)

I don`t care where products come from, if it`s quality gear I will buy it
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information