Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought my pc and need to hear from all of you what`s best as far as backing plates and pads. Which ones hold up best/ have the best velcro? Since I have 3 cars in the family... how many of each should I have on hand. Also what size pads are recommended and for that matter what size backing plate? Who has the best deals on all of this? Yes some swirls and scratches in 2 of the cars but not too bad. Many thanks in adavance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gben
    Which ones hold up best/ have the best velcro? how many of each should I have on hand[?] Also what size pads are recommended and for that matter what size backing plate? Who has the best deals on all of this?

http://www.exceldetail.com

7" pads

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=29307

4" pads

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=56101

backing plates

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...etail&ct=37932

I`d get 2 of each blue/green/yellow, and you have to decide whether you need any gray or orange.

I`d also get 1 or 2 of each blue/green/yellow 4" pad, and that means you need a 2.75" backing plate for them if you intend to use them with the PC. Otherwise they will fit on the "Power Palm" applicator.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed ^ patrick is a great guy and you won`t have to worry about dishonesty when dealing with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Patrick is a great guy to work with, he responds to emails fast. I emailed him about his pads that were out of stock. He replied saying that he had a set in the back and would sell them to me. Also shipping prices are real prices. I think I got almost $20 back from shipping already.

Post Thanks / Like
    GBEN ~

i bought my foam pads (one of their package deals) from autopia ( http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ ) and they have held up extemely well. The pads have held together, velcro sticks very well and I`ve been using them for about 1.5 yrs now. We have two cars and I hit each one about every 3 months.

I have tried the meguires pads and they are ok but a bit pricey. I have the 6" flex backing plate also bought from autopia. A pretty cool thing i recently purchased were some 4" pads and a 4" backing plate. Excellent size to hit those hard to reach places where the 6" pad just cant get.

Not knocking EXCEL, i just don`t have experience with their pads but I have dealt with them on other purchases........excellent customer service & timely shipping.
    "A"

`06 Lexo GS3Silver over Black

"if it ain`t a lexo you got 2nd best"

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I`ll put out a different point of view..

Edge 2k pads.

The shorter adapter places the pad closer to the machine and you get less vibaration(easier on the hands) and Each pad you get has two side so you have two pads in one. I use this and feel that it`s a great system.

i would get one blue and one white to start with and pick up some ssr 2.5 it should give you a good working start to kill swirls..

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought those pads (edge 2k) were pretty cool but I have had a heck of a time finding info on them so i just gave up. seems like you have to find a local distributor to buy them then there are adapters to buy blah blah blah.

Not being a man of patience I opted for what was easily available.
    "A"

`06 Lexo GS3Silver over Black

"if it ain`t a lexo you got 2nd best"

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the 6" backing plate I got from excel detail and it is by far the best backing plate I have used. Definitely seems to spin the pads better than the 5" BPs and applies pressure more evenly across the whole pad.

I use Meguiars, Propel and Lake Country (variable contour) pads.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    you can get them at these places..

PAC and Autogeek are big places .. I have had mine for a year now and i know i got them from PAC

Ardex Laboratories

Autogeek

Auto Magic

Car Brite

Detail Plus

Distinctive Details

Hi-Temp Products Co.

Malco Products, Inc.

M.O.C. Products Company

P & S Sales, Inc.

Premium Auto Care

Rightlook

3D Products

Sparkle Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite pads are the Variable Contour Lake Country pads. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottwax... is the backing plate you bought from excel detail a flexible one? I was wondering also if you find one make of pad is better for certain applications such as is Propel yellow better than LC yellow etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gben
    Scottwax... is the backing plate you bought from excel detail a flexible one? I was wondering also if you find one make of pad is better for certain applications such as is Propel yellow better than LC yellow etc.

Yes, it is a flexible backing plate.

The burgandy Meguiars cutting pad is my most aggressive pad, IMO. It is a very dense and hard pad. I think the yellow Propel pad might be a touch less aggressive than the LC pad, which feels a bit stiffer. Probably a good choice as your cutting pad on soft paints, the LC on medium hard paints and the Meguiars pad on hard paints.

Your results may vary though, I`d try a few different manufacturer`s pads and decide what works best for you.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I might add that the Sonus DAS flexible backing plate is working very well for me.

Thread Information