97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it true that ivory is a better grade?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes.....the great nuba debate. Some may say that Ivory is just a highly refined #1 yellow. Others may say it`s just a bleached #1 yellow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I wonder if any of it matters..the paint is still so much shinier than all the other cars..

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truzoom
    Sometimes I wonder if any of it matters(

So, do you think it`s marketing hype when a product claims to have ivory carnauba in it? I guess that`s why I started this topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me, I think it does matter. If one is using products with poor quality additives it will do more harm than good to your finish. Carnauba content in waxes make up only about 35% off the total product. Carnauba in it`s true form is pretty damn hard & it requires other additives to make it "workable".The rest is compiled of oils,solvents & even silicones. Pure nuba doesn`t create the shine. It`s job is to protect. It`s the additives that produce the shine,gloss,depth,wetness & reflectivity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by III
    So, do you think it`s marketing hype when a product claims to have ivory carnauba in it? I guess that`s why I started this topic.

Sure is! But don`t get me wrong.......I`m not saying that you should run out to your local grocery store & pick up some $2.00 wax. ( Excluding Meg`s #26 that AutoZone had on sale for .99 cents awhile back. lol) As for me, I prefer high end/boutique carnaubas. To try to make my point more clearly.......Have you ever bought generic store brand macaroni & cheese instead of Kraft macaroni & cheese at the grocery store? Big difference in taste between the 2, IMO. Take it a step further........Ever make home made mac & cheese baked in the oven?? (yummy) Better ingredients......Better taste! :dance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkTac05
    Ever make home made mac & cheese baked in the oven?? (yummy) Better ingredients......Better taste! :dance

No way! I think I`ve got an idea for lunch tomorrow!

III - I think the more expensive carnauba retailers need something for their labels that can make buyers feel that their product is superior to the cheaper ones, with "ordinary" carnauba. The ivory carnauba is often referred to as "super refined" or "highly refined", but is that to say that grade 1 yellow carnauba isn`t highly refined?
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by III

I really don`t know. I`m sort of to the point where I use a wax for protection, and rely on QDs for looks/feel. If I use turtle wax or layer on an inch of #16, people will still say `hey that is shiny`. :nervous: :sadwavey:

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Zoom. We all know that the LSP is not a major determining factor in the overall look of the vehicle. I think most high-end waxes are similar enough that a bit more refining in the product is not significant.
    Paul...

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    The ivory carnauba is often referred to as "super refined" or "highly refined", but is that to say that grade 1 yellow carnauba isn`t highly refined?

Bingo. That`s my thought also. I don`t have an answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be that this discussion could end up bouncing back and forth like a ping-pong ball. And, I don`t know enough to have an opinion.

I don`t know where Insulator Wax is on the "carnauba scale," but that`s what I am using right now, though I will get the itch to try some high-end waxes come spring.

I can help you in one area.

You gotta have good mac and cheese!

So, log on to www.foodnetwork.com and search for "Em`s Mac and Cheese."

It is an easy recipe from Emeril Lagasse, and the end result is killer.

White95 Max--You can make a casserole dish of this stuff, and be good for days. I made one for my daughter as she was headed back to college last weekend, and she informed that she could skip the dining hall for three days.

You can even yell "Bam!" as you are cooking, if you wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I might have to use the new cookware my mom won. She someone managed to win $350 worth of Emiril cookware on an online sweepstakes.
    Paul...

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read this from the megs site. Just thought I`d share.

"There are other companies touting the fact that they use an even higher grade of Carnauba wax called Ivory Carnauba wax. Ivory Carnauba wax is simply #1 yellow Carnauba wax that has been decolorized to remove the natural yellow color. The decolorizing process in no way, shape or form increases the quality of the Carnauba wax. If anything, the decolorizing process could diminish the quality of the Carnauba because the chemicals used are rather harsh. Decolorizing Carnauba is an unnecessary step that would appear to be more of a marketing ploy to create a perception of "added value" - when in reality it is much to do about nothing - to put a few more dollars in the hands of the seller."

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...&section=_7#_7

Thread Information