Thread: ZPC Problem??

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a problem this weekend using ZPC on my son`s black Accord.

First I washed/clayed to remove all other products. Then I deswirled using Meguiars #83 and a propel yellow pad. I then switched to ZPC and the green pad. Since this was my first experience with ZPC, I worked it much like I would Meguiars 80 or Menzurna FP Starting slow at 3 to 4 to spread then upping the speed to 6 with moderate pressure until the product started to clear. I then wiped (or tried to wipe off) the residue with a MF towel. Instead of being clear and wonderful, there were definately dull areas that looked awful (83 alone looked better). The bottle said be prepared to be amazed and well I guess I was. I could not get rid of the haze using z6 but I could remove it with more ZPC. After playing with it for a while I came up with the following:

The following assumes the pad is already primed with ZPC. To prime the pad the first time I placed a stream around the pad about 1/8" thick and work a section of the car to get the pad primed.

1) Place a drop about the size of a dime to a nickel in the center of the pad

2) Work this into a pannel size egual to about 1/4 the hood at a speed no greater than four.

3) Make 2-3 passes over this section applying light pressure.

4) Remove Product with an MF

The black looked deep and wet usng this procedure with no more haze. Given this "hazing" problem, I don`t think I`ll be using ZPC for anything other than a surface cleaner / prep prior to z2-pro application. For swirl / spider web removal, I`ll stick with my tried and true products.

Has any other ZPC users experienced this? To be honest, it is not that great of a product if you can`t work it to remove light swirling or if the finish looks dull after using.

Post Thanks / Like
    ZPC does have a slight learning curve as you discovered. It is intended for light swirl removal by hand or PC. Deeper imperfections can be corrected by using a rotary and pad variations or a more aggressive polish series (i.e. Menzerna IP) and finishing with ZPC.

This product is basically devoid of any "make-up" ingredients that tend to hide polishing produced haze. Because of ZPC lack of these agents, 2 outcomes are available: A deep, wet and glossy finish devoid of appearance enhancing agents and a surface prepped for maximal bonding of Zaino`s sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used it to remove some light water spots on my brothers silver X5. I used a green excel detail pad and ran it up to 6 with no problems untill the ZPC started to clear. I removed without any effort what was left with a MF. I really like the fact that you don`t have to tape anything off when using ZPC as it does not stain trim.

Here is what it looked like after the ZPC:

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted a comment on another board about ZPC on black and I was left with a very slight haze. After being attack and Zanio hater Sal posted the comment below.

Here is the thread on the other board http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...04&forum_id=10

Qoute from Sal "Dark color surfaces especialy black can sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion is water-based and does not have any fillers or oils in it. As soon as you apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 this milky look will go away leaving a perfect crisp clear shiny BLACK black scratch free finish."
    -Dennis

My Cars

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisH
    I posted a comment on another board about ZPC on black and I was left with a very slight haze. After being attack and Zanio hater Sal posted the comment below.

Here is the thread on the other board http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...04&forum_id=10

Qoute from Sal "Dark color surfaces especialy black can sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion is water-based and does not have any fillers or oils in it. As soon as you apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 this milky look will go away leaving a perfect crisp clear shiny BLACK black scratch free finish."

I have read of others who have had the hazing problem too- If it really is hazing I don`t see how an application of Z2 Pro will fix it. Z5 might fill it in tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure it is a "hazing" problem because a using a light coat of ZPC and wipping it off before it clears gets rid of the problem. To me it is more like a "staining" problem. I sent Sal an emaili also,; let`s see what he comes back with. Not sure why Z2 or Z5 would clear it up since they are not really sleaner sealants. I will try that in a small area if that happens again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have got this milky look a couple times, and from the best of my memory, it was only when i polished out the polish aT a speed of 6.

I dont get it anymore, i polish at 5, and i use an extremely small amount, buff until just about gone-i mean really almost gone.

It finishes like FPII if done like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recenlty used ZPC on my dark blue Excursion. THe first time I tried, I got some hazing as well.

After some effort, I found that a Meg`s polishing pad at about 5 was the trick. I applied to the pad, worked it onto the surface at a slower speed to avoid slinging...then ran the speed up and did the usual up-down, left right-diagonal dealie. I found that it must be worked until nearly dry or dry otherwise the dimishing abrasives do not get the opportunity to do their job properly. Once I figured this out, I had a perfect surface to then apply Z2 or 5 to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the so called hazing as well on my black car. I called Sal on it. He said the Z2 or Z5 will "even" it out. He suggested a test spot with Z2 right out of the bottle to see if the Haze went away, it did.

Post Thanks / Like
    i found that any hazing left behind was easily gotten rid of by run the pc on speed 6 of the area momentarily without adding more zpc to the pad.

Thread Information