Post Thanks / Like
    After getting back from the NC mountains yesterday I had to wash off the salt and slush grime from my Silverado. After I was done I looked over at my neglected daily driver a Ford Explorer just sitting there looking like a piece of junk and I felt guilty. I decided since I had everything out that I would go ahead and wash it and clay the rough areas. Afterwards I could tell there was no wax left on the body so I decided to put on a coat ot Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax on it until spring. I was quite pleased how the Carnauba Wax brought back a decent shine to the paint and muted the scratches. The paint is not great by no means, the vehicle is over 10 years old (160,000 miles) and sits outdoors 24x7 in 100+ heat through the summer. The last time I had done anything to it was putting a coat of Zaino on it around May of this year.

After this exercise I wondered if this type of result could be obtained by hand then how would it look if I had a PC. What experiences has anyone had using a PC on an old model vehicle with average paint? I suspect that there is very little clear coat left on this vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    If that poor old daily driver looks like it does on the picture that i saw you need not do anything.. Looks good to me. If you want it to shine like a diamond in a goats butt get a Pc and polish that paint. You will not believe the difference it can make.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    Mosborn,

I would HIGHLY recommend a PC for both the vehicles in your gallery. I think PC`s are a real time saver for those who own larger vehicles. Its made waxing and polishing my 4Runner a breeze, as the machine lays down a more even coat in less time. If your just waxing via PC, you shouldn`t need to worry about the clearcoat.

As far as looks go, I haven`t noticed a difference b/w applying a wax by hand vs machine.

If you haven`t already, don`t forget to use a claybar, it will really help smooth out the paint.

Hope this helps,

Buddha

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the gloss you get is dependant on the surface prep, a PC enables you to remove defects and get the finish perfect and glossy before you apply a LSP. You can, of course, do it by hand but the work involved is a deterant to most people. The PC makes light work of an, otherwise, intimidating job.

As far as the Mothers CG Carnauba goes, its not a bad product for the price and quantity. Its look is nothing special, but theirs nothing wrong with it either. It produces a nice balanced gloss. What I like about it is its ability to produce a great look on very neglected finishes. It seems to fill and create outstanding reflectivity on oxidised or badly swirled finishes. BTW, I don`t endorse this process, but the people who`ve tried it this way have produced results that they don`t deserve ( ), but have surprised me.

Of course, most heavy waxes can achieve this, but the Mothers CG seems to do it better than the others I`ve tried. If your 4Runner is as bad as you suggest, that may account for the nice result. On the other hand, your 4Runner may not be as bad as you believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where I work, Mothers Carnuba and a PC are the products of choice for the last step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what buying a PC and some pads did for my daily driver that is also 10 years old with 118K miles...Hood Pic. No more swirls, and a nice depth and gloss to the paint. Well worth the money. I love my PC.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencea
    Where I work, Mothers Carnuba and a PC are the products of choice for the last step.
    Where do you work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a PC and Polish it first then get a coat of wax on it ASAP.

I from Columbia too. Go Gamecocks!
    MDRX8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti
    Where do you work?
    At Custom Cars Unlimited in LaGrange Illinois. We are a high line restoration shop. WE specialize in muscle car and Italian Sports car restoration. We also do some 30s,40s,and 50s,car restorations .

Thread Information