Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    for a good quality cover contact California Car Cover. I have them for all our cars.

Everyonce in awhile I`ll go on a neat kick and will cover my car everyday at work and then at home. Takes me about a minute to put it on/off. I get lazy then go a few months w/o using it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If he`s getting a custom paint job, he should be ready to protect and care for it.
    Avus Blue `95 M3

Black `98 4Runner

`01 Alpine White M5

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by lbls1

Marring or streaking from modern covers are *unacceptable*.

Well said! :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eggroll

One of my friends is going to get a custom paintjob and asked me what i suggested to protect the paint. He also wanted to get a custom car cover, this car will be stored outside in AZ sun and i believe will be his daily driver.

I advised against the car cover because he would have to put the cover on a dirty car everyday and marr it little by little. I told him he would have to wash, dust or QD before putting on the cover which i know he won`t do.

Why would your friend want a custom paint job on a daily driver?and then not look to care for it? :nixweiss :nixweiss

Thats almost like throwing money away.

Originally posted by AZNAvusM3

If he`s getting a custom paint job, he should be ready to protect and care for it.

:up

Just my $.02

"J"

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, I would like to thank eggroll for starting this thread for me. my name is Austin, and since she started this, she has learned more about me and called me a "closet autopian"

let me answer the first question... I am assuming it was a complete thought because there was a question mark at the end.

"Why would you want a custom paint job on a daily driver?"

The answer is because I have put nearly $100K into this car so far, and unlike so many people I know, I actually use my vehicles. I would rather do the job right the first time, maintain, and enjoy it each and every day, rather than keep it to myself in a garage or only bring it out to shows. It reminds me of estate sales, where I buy bottles of wonderful old wines that the deceased had purchased "for a special occasion". Rather sad I say. I look at Garaged Ferraris that are only buffed and rubbed with a diaper (gasp, I mean micro fiber cloth) and know that Enzo is rolling in his grave.

and now on to part 2 I assume: "and then not look to care for it?"

well, in all reality, isn`t my asking for help from eggroll "looking to care for it?" isn`t this whole thread a means to look for help in which to care for it? So rather than criticize, why don`t you help out a bit.. will ya? Damn there is always so much hostility on the Internet. judgment judgment judgment :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, let me explain a little more about the situation....

I have a vehicle that has a custom body on it (Not just a body "KIT"). It was designed by Toyota`s racing program in Japan, and only 7 copies of it were made for the US. I have already spent $5000 on having the body put on the car, and in that process the car was stolen, the body was cracked, and I spent another fortune tracking down the car and getting it back and fixed.

Now, I have visited 32 paint and body shops over the last 2 years looking for someone that can do the final clean up, and spraying of the paint.

The paints used will be PPGs highest quality. it is a basecoat/clear coat system, where the basecoat is a custom mixed anthracite metallic. The clear coat will have platinum pearl mixed into it.

The car has been completely stripped for this paint job. all glass has been removed, the drivetrain, all interior, as well as all bolt ons and trim.

the body is a mixture of carbon fiber, fiberglass, and standard US market Japanese Steel.

The car will be painted, then over the next 2-3 years as final assembly is being done, I would like for the car to be protected. I do not have a garage I can store the car in, only to work on. Therefore I need a cover in which to store the vehicle for a couple days to a couple months between each stage of assembly.

AZ has unique weather. Low moisture, high heat, sometimes 40 degree temperature fluctuations between night and day, high UV rays. we have severe monsoons and dust storms.

So, what steps can I take to protect this paint?

What car cover can I get?

What materials?

Who can make it for my custom body?

How much will it cost approx?

Thank you all so much for your help so far, and thank you for your advice in the future.

Austin T.

Post Thanks / Like
    Austin,

This sounds like an incredible car :up

I take money is no object so I would advise not only the car cover(s) ,Weathershield and Noah are my favorites, but also to seriously look into this: there is an indoor and *outdoor* version( although the current version of the website doesn`t seem to discuss it much) :up

http://www.carcapsule.com

I hope to move on to one of these for my garage queen some time

Post Thanks / Like
    I had looked at the car capsules in the past, and in fact keep saying that eggroll should get one to show her car at our weekly car show as she starts to growl and bark anytime someone gets too close to her car. (she yelled at me for leaving a fingerprint on her sunroof glass, and threatened me if I leaned against her car). "Hey, don`t yell at me, you invited me to this rodeo eggroll, you know the kind of guy I am"

However, the sun here can turn a plastic gasoline container into crushed eggshells in less than 6 months, so I am pretty sure that that PVC cover wouldn`t last that long.

the AZ desert is a HARSH enviornment.

I have used California car cover in the past, and was very happy with the results, however I would like to use the best.

Now... I am going to make more of you gasp. This car will be stored on the grass (no, not on the grass!!!) is this going to be an issue? as I don`t have much of an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you should put up one of those "instant garages" that are advertised in the back of car magazines. If you mind parking it on grass, you could make a home made cardboard floor for it :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Austin please do not take my confusion for criticism or judgement.

What was said was in response to the information that was given.(please note 2nd paragraph from Eggroll)

I look forward of seeing pictures of your car after the paint, it sounds like an rare and exciting project your working on.

As for keeping it out of the elements. As Bill D said an "instant garage" may suit your needs providing you have the room for it.

Good luck

"J"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NorthPac

Zaino Bros` makes exterior sealer/wax 100% uv protection

Not to try and start a Zaino war over this, as I would say the same thing about any product making that claim, but that`s more marketing ploy than real effectiveness. Tire dressings ,waxes etc have some limited UV protection added to them, but the longevity of them is very minimal. Sounds good in a product description though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant i wasn`t sure he would want to QD or dust before putting on the cover everytime. But i think mine and the other autopian influences here are turning him towards the dark side

and austin, i`ll think about the air capsule thing LOL. Maybe a few cones around the car will do

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you become Autopian a quick qd and/or dusting of the car before covering the car goes by rather quickly is more or less second nature

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm, since your car has a custom body (sounds like a wide body ) and you live in AZ and those instant garages won`t work too well, maybe you can look into a Covercraft car cover? i know they custom make covers, and have a very good selection of materials.

http://www.covercraft.com/

they have a range of materials, you might want to look at the Weathershield HD or the Sunbrella. as far as cost, well, it looks like you need to have one custom cut for your car, so that i`m not sure. btw, when they say custom made, it just means it`s cut to the shape of that particular car. for your car, you`ll probably need to call them with the dimensions.

as for storing it on the grass, er....you can`t pave over the grass? just joking, that`s better than dirt and gravel. if anything, drive very slowly so as to not kick up any stones or anything that`ll scratch your paint. also, if you do use a car cover, and especially when you park on the grass, always be sure your car is clean before putting on the car cover. once you feel a strong need to keep your car looking the best it can, things like QD before putting on a car cover is a small effort to keep your car clean.

oh yeah, after your new paint cures (however long the body shop says it should take) put a good sealant or wax on it. there`s a lot of different stuff out there, i`m sure your friend eggroll can help you with that. :xyxthumbs
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hirosh

hmmmm, since your car has a custom body (sounds like a wide body ) and you live in AZ and those instant garages won`t work too well, maybe you can look into a Covercraft car cover? i know they custom make covers, and have a very good selection of materials.

http://www.covercraft.com/

they have a range of materials, you might want to look at the Weathershield HD or the Sunbrella. as far as cost, well, it looks like you need to have one custom cut for your car, so that i`m not sure. btw, when they say custom made, it just means it`s cut to the shape of that particular car. for your car, you`ll probably need to call them with the dimensions.

Yep, that`s what I`ve been saying. Here`s where I bought 5 car covers, best prices I ever found:

http://www.netsweeper.com or http://www.websweeper.com

If you call them they could probably accomodate completely custom work as well

:xyxthumbs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information