When we filmed a segment on car covers for our TV show earlier this year, I was able to spend 2 days with a couple of research scientist from Kimberly Clark, who makes most of the good car cover material.

For 99% of us, it looks like the better materials for outdoor use are Evolution (4 layers thick, kinda bulky, but great at door ding protection), NOAH (slightly better than Evolution, but at 3 layers not as good at ding protecion and easier to store).

I went with Evolution on all my covers for the ding protection ability.

For indoor use, I`d suggest you throw away the flannel lined cotton - it absorbs humidity from the air, and the weave is so open it lets dust actually pass through. The new material is called Dustop, and traps 300% more dust particles than flannel lined cotton.

Got those for the garage, too.

Other than that, go custom fit over universal, and get the mirror pockets (a great way to hold the cover in place while you`re putting it on). If you use the cover in public, get the cable and lock so no one steals the cover. Most importantly, use the cover!

With practice, you should be able to install the cover in less than 5 minutes, and remove it in 3 or so. I fold the sides to the center, and then roll from back to front. To install, just lay on the hood, roll to the rear, and then fold the sides down.

I prefer to unscrew the antenna rather than punch a hole in the cover. On the cover for my MINI Cooper S, there`s a pocket for the antenna, although it looks kinda obscene sticking up like that.

I guess the car`s happy to see me.