Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard that car covers might scratch a finish if blown about by excessive wind -- and to never transport a vehicle with a cover on. But what about a storm, where there is considerable rain AND wind?? Would it be better to leave the cover off and risk having rain (and leaves, etc.) pound the car, or cover it and take my chances on the wind blowing it? (The cover is a custom job, and fits rather snug.)

Any opinions, suggestions, and experience you can share would be greatly appreciated!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the cover fits pretty snug and you have the cable locking it down, then I don`t see the harm in having it on durring a storm. If you are in a storm that is so serious that its going to rip your car cover off then you should probably start seeking higher ground because you are in a hurricane. :p I`ve had a car cover on my car durring some pretty crazy storms and it has always worked out well. As long as the cover was made for the car you are putting it on then you`ll be fine. Its these "one size fits all" covers that cause the problems in a storm I feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I feel a little better now. I think I`ll ride out this storm tonight (in Virginia) with the cover on. You reminded me that I should tie the cover down--which I just now did, in the pouring rain. The elastic on the front and rear already fit snugly underneath the car. And now with the sides drawn under with the rope, there is not a lot of space for wind-blown debris to enter. I`ll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------

2003 Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Please tell me you are not parking a 2003 Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition outside 24/7

To cover or not to cover during a storm. Rain and wind - do not cover. Rain and little or no wind - cover

Last night here in Virginia - cover ( light wind hard rain)

2003 Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition - garage

:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    My Weathershield is off today here in NY. Hard rain and getting extremely windy. I have used it in rainy/windy conditions and the front has blown off. It is a custom cover! They make no provisions to tie the front and rear down, just the middle. I feel once the car is clean and the cover blows off, I need to remove the whole thing. This is no fun in the pouring rain.

I question the safety of the cover in the wind alone. It seems to flap a bit and "billow" and there still seems to be a way for dust and small bits of debris or insects to get up under the cover. I am in a condo and don`t have a garage and the car is a daily driver so I am constantly fighting with -- do I cover or don`t I cover.... If I can`t get the car clean enough or rid off all dust, I don`t cover it. With Winter approaching, I don`t know how this is going to work out.

I hope you made out O.K.!

Regards, Eric watching his car bead in the heavy rain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Please tell me you are not parking a 2003 Corvette 50th Anniversary Edition outside 24/7

Um, sorry, but with no garage, I have no other option. The dealer ordered a Corvette cover from GM with the car, and that`s what I`m using. Fits like a glove, so I`m hopeful. I also have a Noah cover, but it doesn`t fit as snug.

As Ed said, it`s a tough call, but the concensus here seems to be that a cover is helpful so long as the wind isn`t gusting too heavily. Watching it today, the cover moves very little compared to the wind-blown trees and shrubs nearby. I suspect the rain has something to do with it, as water drops on the cover probably weigh it down. And rain probably lowers the dust level outside, too. In a strong, wind-only situation, though, I think it might be safer to leave the cover off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a search on car covers and hail...

i think BRAD had a good tip once about putting blow up rafts underneath or something to protect the sheet metal from the dings of falling hail...It was a long time ago but it should be in the database somewhere....

It was either a raft or towels or something....

Good luck

Thread Information