Post Thanks / Like

Hi! So here`s my current situation. I have an old car, probably more than 10 years old, but the paint work is still good and shiny as new. It was usually parked on a garage on our house back in the province. However, I have to work in the city and now I`m residing in an apartment. I have no choice but to park the car outside, along with dozens of other cars exposed to sunlight the whole day and if you`re lucky enough, occasional rains will come along. Being aware that the car will be exposed to extremes of weather, dust etc, I purchased a car cover (Elevo is the brand name). I placed it on the car after driving from the province to the apartment in the city. After 3 days, I used the car again and I found some light scratches on my paint. I did my research and those were swirl marks that was created because I covered the car after driving, wherein dust accumulated along the way and the cover helped in scratching the paint work. I never knew that because I`m used to parking it on a shaded garage. So now my car suffer from swirl marks and some scratches. Then I read an article on the internet that if you need to put on a car cover, it should be right after you just washed your car. That`s good, however, our apartment owner doesn`t allow us to clean the car out on the streets. I don`t know why. So I have to take it to the nearest car wash which is a 10 minute drive from my location. If I do that, again dust would still accumulate along the way and by the time I put my car cover AGAIN, swirl marks would appear.`

`

So my question is which is the lesser evil: use a car cover to protect against extreme weather, dust etc, but gain swirl marks every now and then? Or don`t use a car cover at all? I hope you guys could help me.. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia!!

`

Never......I repeat Never use a car cover on a vehicle being parked outdoors. No matter how good it is, dirt will get blown under it and will cause marring. I`d look into a paint coating like Opti-Coat to protect it from the elements.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

mitch08- Welcome to Autopia!

`

Unless you have some sort of unusually *AWFUL* environmental fallout issue, I`d just avoid using the cover period.` I tried *everything* to make the whole idea work OK, but it simply never did; I always ended up scratching the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys! Thanks for the insights! I`ll just keep my car cover on the trunk then! )

Thread Information