Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I just purchased black Hyundai Elantra 2012 Limited edition about a week ago.

A lot of people told me I should get a car cover..

I am daily driver who live in Hawaii with vog (aka volcanic smog) and we get as much sun as socal but as well as pouring rain couple nights a week during rain season. Sometimes 1-2 hours of drizzling (sometimes pouring) in the afternoon if there`s any rain clouds passing by even it`s not rain season.

Unfortunately, my unit doesn`t come with any garage or car port

I found some car covers $200-400+ custom made and such which I am not sure if it`s really worth the money and also some under $100 which I`m not sure if it will last long enough.

Any recommendation and suggestion would be really really appreciated! I really want to take care of this car since it`s my first brand new car that I am hoping to drive for long time If there`s anything that might be better like other sealants/wax product or know-how on taking care of exterior paints, I am open for all suggestions.

Thanks in advance :yo:

Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit off topic, but do realize that every time you put your cover on, or take it off, you will mar the paint. As long as you don`t care about that, get a good one - one that is light. It isn`t easy to put those on. Why oh why did you buy black?????

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do not place a car cover on a dusty or dirty car (dry surface with a waffle weave towel or remove dust with a car duster) Ensure that the cover fits well and keep the cover clean (dust / dirt between the inside of the cover or the vehicle surface will cause scratching) Purchase a good quality cover that is manufactured from a durable fabric suitable for your local climatic conditions and expected usage.

“Vehicle Weather Protection Covers” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-cov...on-covers.html
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [If there`s anything that might be better like other sealants/wax product or know-how on taking care of exterior paints, I am open for all suggestions]

Look ino the newer coating produts (Optimum Polymer Products Opti-Seal) as they provide long-term durability and scratch resistance
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Save your money and forget the cover. Have you tried to remove a cover in the pouring rain? Will you put that wet cover in your trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great reply, better you than me. I didn`t want to be the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    Save your money and forget the cover. Have you tried to remove a cover in the pouring rain? Will you put that wet cover in your trunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99

I was thinking the same thing as I read through. Glad you brought it up first. Mold and mildew will become a bigger issue than the paint.

I would look at doing Opti-Coat and plan to redo in 2-3 years just to be on the safe side. Not sure what the life expectancy of a car is in Hawaii but I would imagine the salt air and volcanic dust take its toll.

Post Thanks / Like
    haha but black car look so good though (when it`s clean) :p

Didn`t realize it`s gonna stay kinda messy most of the time..... unless I spend all my weekend polishing hehe oh well.. :3

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your help!

removing car cover in the rain and mold and mildew and etc... got rid of all the thoughts of buying car cover for now lol

I will do more research on opti products and prob stick with that.

Thank you again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just gave an estimate on a week old Acura TSX in black metallic. That is what he said too: "but black cars look so good"

Anyway, enjoy your ride. I bet by the time you sell it, you have learned your lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by sista87
    haha but black car look so good though (when it`s clean) :p

Didn`t realize it`s gonna stay kinda messy most of the time..... unless I spend all my weekend polishing hehe oh well.. :3

Post Thanks / Like
    When you bought that black Elantra, a part-time job came with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I must say buying a car cover is good idea. Obviously it will take few minutes daily but that was not so hectic to do so. It will helps to protect your car against the unfavorable weather, unsightly dents, dings and scratches and provides shielded protection against natural/ man made hazards. Don`t think to much about price while buying a car cover and you can easily find out a good one in between $120 to $200. Just search on internet and there are many website providing best quality covers relatively at less price then market.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest looking at a couple of different Covercraft options. They are reliable and relatively cheap if you want to get a semi-custom fit one that doesn`t scratch the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sista87
    Hello, I just purchased black Hyundai Elantra 2012 Limited edition about a week ago.

A lot of people told me I should get a car cover..

I am daily driver who live in Hawaii with vog (aka volcanic smog) and we get as much sun as socal but as well as pouring rain couple nights a week during rain season. Sometimes 1-2 hours of drizzling (sometimes pouring) in the afternoon if there`s any rain clouds passing by even it`s not rain season.

Unfortunately, my unit doesn`t come with any garage or car port

I found some car covers $200-400+ custom made and such which I am not sure if it`s really worth the money and also some under $100 which I`m not sure if it will last long enough.

Any recommendation and suggestion would be really really appreciated! I really want to take care of this car since it`s my first brand new car that I am hoping to drive for long time If there`s anything that might be better like other sealants/wax product or know-how on taking care of exterior paints, I am open for all suggestions.

Thanks in advance :yo:

I got a Covercraft Technalon Evolution car cover from CoverQuest.com, I love it...it protects my car from all outdoor environment. And believe it or not, it doesn`t scratch my paint at all. You can call them, their customer service is wonderful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Langford
    I got a Covercraft Technalon Evolution car cover from CoverQuest.com, I love it...it protects my car from all outdoor environment. And believe it or not, it doesn`t scratch my paint at all. You can call them, their customer service is wonderful!

Car covers usually don`t scratch (unless they are terrible quality). Its the dirt sitting on the car that does all the scratching when you move the cover around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information