Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

I have a car that has been stored inside all of it`s life, but that might change soon. Right now, this `91 Mustang GT has a cover I bought from Cover Craft in Chatsworth, CA (3 layer) and while I think it`s ok for inside storage, I am going to need something that will be "softer" on the paint when stored outside and the wind is beating on it. I say this because the current cover gave me all sorts of swirl marks and overall ruined my finish (I`ll eventually take care of this with a good detail) when I parked the car outside once for a few days and it was a little windy (granted this is not Chicago).

Any recommendations?

My SVO currently has some chinese made cover I bought from Costco and I honestly think it`s better than my covercraft. It breathes very well and has those push in locking tabs, but since the finish on my SVO is nothing to be concerned about, it has never mattered to me if this cover will ruin or protect what I already don`t have on this car.

Thanks,

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a Covercraft Evolution (4-layer for door ding protection) from webcovers. I am waiting on it still, due next week. Look at Covercrafts website. They have an application pdf and How to order guide. My choice was between the Evolution and Noah. The Weatherguard HD was too pricey for me. There are some trade offs between the Evo and Noah, but I wanted the door ding protection more. Make sure you get the Custom fit cover since it will fit your vehicle more tightly, especially in windy situations. The Evo and Noah need to be washed in a commercial dryer (due to size) and without an agitator (no ripping of the cover). I think here at autopia has a recommended way of placing and taking the cover on and off the car to reduce risk of scratching etc.... Make sure your car is clean before applying the cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the California Car Cover version of Noah and was not pleased.....It was ok the first two years, but it would allow the over night dew to go thru......I too have a Costco car cover......I use it plus the California Car Cover on our 68 Mustang that sits outside....Works okay but dust still get thru......
    Frank T

Camarillo CA

1998.5 Contour SVT -black, daily driver

2001 DHGreen Bullitt Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a cover for a `74 Volkswagon Thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia, folks! Lots of new members on this thread...

Some sorta random thoughts regarding covers:

Most good ones are made by one of a few big companies. Most of the popular/high end catalog companies should be able to set you up with a cover for most anything.

*Any* cover will end up marring paint sooner or later because some dirt will get between the cover and the paint. Both have to be spotlessly clean to avoid this and that doesn`t work out too well in real life. Tire dressings can make for a real mess too.

Wind whipping will also mar paint. A good fitting, heavier cover will work out better than a loose fitting light weight one.

Every cover I`ve ever used outside let some degree of moisture through. Give thought to what you`re gonna do with a wet cover; once it`s been really wet you might find that dirt has migrated into/through it and it`ll need washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are really adamant on getting a cover, have a plan for wet storage and finding a washer that it can fit in.

I had used a cover in the past, and learned that it wasn`t for me. Too much hassle for what it is doing. After a few months it lost its "waterproof" and let rain through everytime.
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
    ..I had used a cover in the past, and learned that it wasn`t for me. Too much hassle...

Pretty much the same story here. I don`t even cover the mothballed garage queens very often.

I dunno...I can see it being a good idea, but I`d almost lean towards having *two* covers so one is always ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think covers do more harm than good, protect the exterior with sealants or wax instead.. And for indoor use, a bit of dust isn`t that bad, just wash it..

Thread Information